Manila Airport Taxi

Boss Ross

Boss Ross

Hello All,

I will be going to the VA in Manila on 8 Mar and have a couple questions about the taxi's at the airport. The last time I was there I waited in line for at least an hour to get one of the "Approved" taxi's. All that time I kept seeing that there was no waiting down a the sidewalk a ways for the COUPON taxi. What is a COUPON taxi and how do you get a ride with them?

I also thought of walking upstairs to where the taxi's drop off people that are leaving Manila and getting one of those taxi's.  Is that allowed and has anyone done that? There certainly must be a faster way to get a taxi then waiting an hour!!

Thanks,

Ross

• Like 1
Davaoeno

walk down the side of the line up to the senior citizen loading area . 

Edited by Davaoeno
  • Like 1

I also thought of walking upstairs to where the taxi's drop off people that are leaving Manila and getting one of those taxi's. Is that allowed and has anyone done that?

Last time I came in terminal 3, I did as you say and went to the arrivals level. There's only 1 door to exit at the very end away from where the arrivals enter. The queue there is now controlled. I estimated at least an hours wait before you could get a taxi. I walked back towards the entry, was threatened by a guard, ignored him, and got one anyway. The driver had to pay the guard of course.

Someone suggested in another post to walk out and go to the traffic circle where it's easy to flag one down. I think I'll try that next time.

• Like 1
Davaoeno

When I went there last year there was a long line up .  However i saw a sign right by the sidewalk alongside that line that said " Senior Citizens and Disabled"   I got in that line, which was very short, nobody objected, I moved to the front of the line in about 10 minutes and was loaded in a taxi . 

greatplace

We were in Manila last Xmas arrive at terminal 3...............walked outside and there was a huge long que waiting for taxis and there was nothing.  One guy came up asked our destination was told 1,500 pesos.  Told him to hit the road.............We were standing at the end of the line and a lady walked up with a walkie talkie she told us the price was 650 pesos............I said lets make it 600............she radio to the drive who agreed and drove the taxi down from outside.  and we took off to the sea residence near the mall off asia.   I suppose this all happened in the matter of 5 min.  Not one taxi pulled up and excepted passengers from that long line .  I'm not going to hang around for hours to save a couple of pesos.  It was bad enough we had to be in Manila in the 1st place  

• Like 3
  • Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

also thought of walking upstairs to where the taxi's drop off people that are leaving Manila and getting one of those taxi's.  Is that allowed and has anyone done that?

I wouldn't bother with that. This is where you will find troublesome taxis.

The wait time for a taxi at NAIA is always hit and miss. It just depends on how quickly taxis can get back after they drop people at their destinations. The chronic traffic congestion problem in metro Manila prevents the taxis from returning efficiently. I also suspect they have not been replacing aging taxis over the years and the fleet has gotten smaller. 

The best option for arriving is Uber or similar service. I arrived this morning at it took the car 3 minutes to arrive. I had to rush to meet him in fact because he came far quicker than I anticipated. I hailed him while waiting for my luggage. The efficiency / availability of Uber cars can vary on any given day as well.

The coupon service is grossly over priced. I am not exactly a spendthrift and I refuse to use them out of principle. They want 1100 to take me home which is about a 160 pesos 'expensive yellow cab' fare. So if you are the type that goes upstairs to arrivals for taxis, I seriously doubt you will be happy with the prices quoted on the 'coupon taxis"

• Like 1
  • Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

When I went there last year there was a long line up .  However i saw a sign right by the sidewalk alongside that line that said " Senior Citizens and Disabled"   I got in that line, which was very short, nobody objected, I moved to the front of the line in about 10 minutes and was loaded in a taxi . 

When my wife was visibly pregnant we constantly got ushered to the front of queues there and everywhere. 

Was wonderful. 

They also do the same when you are with small children. 

A nice touch for the Philippines when there is so much to dislike.

Edited by Monsoon

We arrived at term 4 arrival area a week ago. We exited,made a left and was approached by a coupon taxi dispatcher.

We said how much to Makati, she said p400 and we took it.  No extra fees were asked for by the driver. We tipped him p100 for being honest and hassle-free.

I can't comment on taxis at term 3 as I don't remember the prices or practices there.

I wouldn't bother with that. This is where you will find troublesome taxis.

The wait time for a taxi at NAIA is always hit and miss. It just depends on how quickly taxis can get back after they drop people at their destinations. The chronic traffic congestion problem in metro Manila prevents the taxis from returning efficiently. I also suspect they have not been replacing aging taxis over the years and the fleet has gotten smaller. 

The best option for arriving is Uber or similar service. I arrived this morning at it took the car 3 minutes to arrive. I had to rush to meet him in fact because he came far quicker than I anticipated. I hailed him while waiting for my luggage. The efficiency / availability of Uber cars can vary on any given day as well.

The coupon service is grossly over priced. I am not exactly a spendthrift and I refuse to use them out of principle. They want 1100 to take me home which is about a 160 pesos 'expensive yellow cab' fare. So if you are the type that goes upstairs to arrivals for taxis, I seriously doubt you will be happy with the prices quoted on the 'coupon taxis"

Uber and Grabtaxi are convenient, however, often times there are none in my area and they will charge extra if it's a high-demand time of day or there is lots of traffic. They are quickly destroying the  desireability of their service and aren't much  better than regular taxis.

• Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

Uber and Grabtaxi are convenient, however, often times there are none in my area and they will charge extra if it's a high-demand time of day or there is lots of traffic. They are quickly destroying the  desireability of their service and aren't much  better than regular taxis.

There have been some issues with Uber as of late. I don't use Grabataxi so I can't comment. Although I have friends who do and they say its sometimes more efficient in the hailing process.

I don't know how you can compare a regular taxi with Uber. Uber cars are clean, new and free from unpleasant odor. The drivers do not try to cheat you, or ask you for off meter fares. You also don't have to stand on the side of the road discussing through the window whether or not they will take you somewhere. NCR taxis are some of, if not the absolute worst in the region. Trust me, I've used them all - from Thailand to Vietnam, Singapore, Indonesia etc. Manila taxis are the absolute worst. And certainly never will be almost as good as an Uber.

I will pay an Uber 200% before I will sit in the back of a shit smelling taxi driven by a shabu using dickhead who is likely thinking about how to screw me out of extra pesos. And then you have security issues. I've had female friends who have had some scary rides home with creepy taxi drivers taking strange turns off of the logical route. Not to mention the rapes that do happen. Some make the news, some don't. 

Edited by Monsoon
  • Like 1
alkonost45

It is easy to get a taxi quickly at NAIA T3.   Exit arrivals area, cross into car parking area. walk to right through parking exit.  About 75 meters past the car parking payment booths there is a passage way through the construction zone only Newport.    You can flag down a taxi on Newport nearly instantly anytime of the day.

Edited by alkonost45
RogerDat

I also thought of walking upstairs to where the taxi's drop off people that are leaving Manila and getting one of those taxi's. Is that allowed and has anyone done that? There certainly must be a faster way to get a taxi then waiting an hour!!

I always do that as VA does not pay for any over P100 rides, IF U get travel that is. The guy in front is a rip off as well, so get in line where the guard says to. Make sure you get the flag down, as they forget some (all) time. P150 with tip to VA.

• 3 weeks later...

It is easy to get a taxi quickly at NAIA T3.   Exit arrivals area, cross into car parking area. walk to right through parking exit.  About 75 meters past the car parking payment booths there is a passage way through the construction zone only Newport.    You can flag down a taxi on Newport nearly instantly anytime of the day.

I tried this yesterday and couldn't find the way through the construction. When did you do it last? Maybe you could mark it on here:

post-5952-0-44490500-1457793107_thumb.jpg

A_Simple_Man

I waited in line for a yellow taxi on Tuesday morning.  It was an hour and 20 minute wait.  Taxi meter was 260 to Alabang.  I also paid 165 for the toll fee on the skyway.  This all came to 1,000 pesos cheaper than the flat rate cars.  Well worth the rate.  Once in Alabang and on the way back to the airport I found every single taxi to be exorbitantly overcharging.  If I went back there again I would surely download that Grab taxi app, but the yellow taxis are still reasonable.  I have waited longer in Disneyland lines.

All the time I was in line I kept reminding myself:  As long as we are standing in line and waiting for a taxi then my spouse is not spending money.

• Like 2