7 Reasons Why You Really Shouldn't Move to Cambodia...

JohnSurrey

Grass is freely available in Cambodia, and I do mean freely, I mean, you can order it on your pizza, but I never saw evidence of any hard stuff.

KonC

Trust me, plenty of scumbag backpackers in Sihanoukville, who seem to try "anything". Fortunately, they are not representative of the backpackers I have seen and met, here in Battambang. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paul

• diverdon

• ozboy

• Davaoeno

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That isn't the Living in Cambodia Forum. That is K440, comprised, mostly, of school teachers who work in Cambodia.    Item 1: I agree with the medical issues here. In fact, I can vouch for the shitt

I was looking at the (Living in) Cambodia forum the other night and I subsequently discovered this little gem which made me laugh... I guess most of it would apply to RP too!     http://www.khmer44

Item 8: Paul lives there.... 

Posted Images

t many of them “lose the plot” and develop unhealthy habits involving drugs, alcohol, and prostitution. This leads to weekly reports of expats in their forties and fifties being found dead on their bathroom floors from a “heart attack” or “fall.”

Many expats report regular power outages in their neighborhoods, sometimes lasting 3-5 hours a day. That will put a major damper on your online p*orn habit.

Of course, your lack of retirement planning will be the least of your concerns when you’re lying on your deathbed in a dirty Cambodian hospital at age 57.

You might as well just send her a Mother’s Day card that says “Thanks for raising me and all that, sorry I haven’t seen you in a few years, it just turns out that I enjoy drugs, alcohol and hookers

You’ll become an alcoholic and have to make friends with gossipy, alcoholic expats

You will probably end up spending a lot of time drinking in these dingy bars, since there’s really nothing else to do for fun in Cambodia. Because Cambodia only attracts certain types of expats, you will end up making friends in bars with the kind of undesirable people that you would never associate with back home. Junkies. Whoremongers. Journalists.

Even though you have little in common with these people, you will become friends out of necessity, because you need someone to drink with and they need someone to drink with.

thanks for summing up my time in SEA, i feel like I've been watched and I haven't even been to Cambodia

• Like 1

Their market, food stand and school look just like ours when I was little. Probably still the same now but I never went back to see that part of world again.

How come people on LINC don't hate that? You guys probably grew up in worse place than me, being generations older, even though it's USA or AU? The smell, smoke, dust and dog shit... I still hate all those til this day.

Headshot

attachicon.gifMWSnap176.jpg

How about this Moreton Bay Bug.

\They cost almost as much as lobster in Oz.

KonC

Technically, that creature is called a slipper lobster, and they SHOULD cost as much as (or more than) lobster. They live in deeper water than spiny lobster and cold water lobster, so they aren't as accessible. The meat is sweeter (and richer tasting) than spiny lobster meat. However, they ARE members of the lobster family.

• Like 1

The article does ignore those who have social security payments and those who have rental income from back home. And also, you can work online and make money.

When I was in the PH, I taught English to Russians and Chinese and made from $11-16 an hour all online. I also did translations online and made maybe $60 for 10 pages- done in 3 -4 hours. I raised my fees and now it would be $90 for the same job.

You should have a back up generator and several back up USB internet sticks, though. Or a WIFI place nearby.

In the US, raising a kid is also not fun. A lot of bullying in school, a lot of nasty, racist kids. Lots of lonely bullied kids. There is more friendship in SE Asia and more camaraderie.

I guess it all boils down to one thing: how much money you have per month. If you have at least $1500 coming from various sources, plus you make some money online, you will have more options and more choices.

I lived in Thailand as an English teacher back in the 1990ies and it sucked. Everything was expensive, I didn't get respect from the locals, the salary was pitifully low. I observed with envy the rich farangs there.

More money vs less money per month is like the difference between night and day.

Edited by tambok
Davaoeno

Since one is not allowed to marry a Cambodian once one is past 50, that leaves prostitution and shacking up for money as an alternative.

If you havent figured out yet by age 50 that marriage is for fools then I guess either of those 2 is quite acceptable.

If you havent figured out yet by age 50 that marriage is for fools then I guess either of those 2 is quite acceptable.

Says the guy who got married under a year ago, at what age was that, Ian?

The article does ignore those who have social security payments and those who have rental income from back home. And also, you can work online and make money.

When I was in the PH, I taught English to Russians and Chinese and made from $11-16 an hour all online. I also did translations online and made maybe $60 for 10 pages- done in 3 -4 hours. I raised my fees and now it would be $90 for the same job.

You should have a back up generator and several back up USB internet sticks, though. Or a WIFI place nearby.

In the US, raising a kid is also not fun. A lot of bullying in school, a lot of nasty, racist kids. Lots of lonely bullied kids. There is more friendship in SE Asia and more camaraderie.

I guess it all boils down to one thing: how much money you have per month. If you have at least $1500 coming from various sources, plus you make some money online, you will have more options and more choices.

I lived in Thailand as an English teacher back in the 1990ies and it sucked. Everything was expensive, I didn't get respect from the locals, the salary was pitifully low. I observed with envy the rich farangs there.

More money vs less money per month is like the difference between night and day.

A fellow I know, earns money online via Skype, teaching English. Makes pretty good money from what I understand. About $10 USD / 30 minute class. One on one. 

Here - and I am speaking of Battambang, NOT elsewhere in the country, the power is pretty reliable. I do not recall the last power cut we experienced, actually. When we have gone through them, they typically do not last long enough to kill a UPS. That, I know from experience. 15 minutes to one hour is about the limit of power cuts in this part of the country, when we have them. So, USB dongles aren't necessary either. However, I suppose having one for backup anywhere, wouldn't be a dumb thing to do. 

I haven't spent $1,500 USD in a month, in I don't know when. It has been some time back, though, for sure. My personal expenditures have dropped, primarily due to my medical bills, over the past year plus, having taken priority to be paid.

Since one is not allowed to marry a Cambodian once one is past 50, that leaves prostitution and shacking up for money as an alternative.

There are ways around that, just like there are ways around most things in most of SE Asia. Honestly, I don't know how strictly they even stick to that law. 

• Like 1
cvgtpc1
tambok, on 21 Feb 2016 - 09:01 AM, said: Since one is not allowed to marry a Cambodian once one is past 50, that leaves prostitution and shacking up for money as an alternative.  
There are ways around that, just like there are ways around most things in most of SE Asia. Honestly, I don't know how strictly they even stick to that law. 

But it's a great excuse not to if needed!  haha

Edited by cvgtpc1
  • Like 1

Spoken by the man who recently got married??   WTF?

• Like 1
Davaoeno

Says the guy who got married under a year ago, at what age was that, Ian?

Hey- I didnt say that I wasnt a fool !!!  :ROFLMAO:

• Like 1
Soupeod

!! haha