7 Reasons Why You Really Shouldn't Move to Cambodia...

JohnSurrey

The food looks repulsive esp. the fried insects and other things like dogs.

First, I want to say they still eat dog in the Philippines. 

Now, the insects, etc. I was grossed out by them in Thailand. Grubs, crickets, frogs, roaches, etc., all fried. And yes, they are popular here as well.

In fact, while we were stopped for a break during our trip back home recently, I had the unfortunate experience to be seated near an older woman who sold the fried crickets. Some younger Khmer women sat down and purchased a couple of cans (soup sized tin cans, is how they are measured and sold, if already prepared) of crickets. They sold for 3,000r ($.75¢ US), per can. They consumed those things as though they were pieces of chocolate. Absolutely disgusting. 

If you think Filipinos will eat ANYTHING, you are wrong. Khmer's have them beat by a mile. 

• Like 3
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paul

• diverdon

• tambok

• ozboy

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That isn't the Living in Cambodia Forum. That is K440, comprised, mostly, of school teachers who work in Cambodia.    Item 1: I agree with the medical issues here. In fact, I can vouch for the shitt

I was looking at the (Living in) Cambodia forum the other night and I subsequently discovered this little gem which made me laugh... I guess most of it would apply to RP too!     http://www.khmer44

Item 8: Paul lives there.... 

Posted Images

Lobster are just seagoing bugs. 

No they aren't. They are like overgrown shrimp. Shrimp aren't bugs either!

• Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

I read that article on K440 a while ago. Well first off as Paul points out that article is written by a person who makes a living by teaching and more than likely doesn't make more than $10-$15/hr. I know some pretty successful people in Cambodia. So to say one can't earn money there is BS. One of the success I know there is an American attorney with a very successful practice. In fact his firm serves as the PMs personal attorney. Try doing that in the Philippines, you wouldn't get past go.

Phnom Penh is a great little city. Has a hell of a lot more charm than Cebu City. Blows it away as far as dining and bar/entertainment scenes go. Blows it away in so many areas really. The main problem with living there, and was actually touched on in several points of that article, is health care.

The entrepreneurs seem to be more creative there, younger in general and as a result seem to put out a better product than their Philippine expat counterparts.

Hell even the Internet in Cambodia is in many ways better than the Philippines!

Edited by Monsoon
  • Like 7

When I started learning about how they had started "outcome-based education", and "leave no child behind" type programs, that is when I first began to question the school system in the US. Later, it got worse, because I began reading about how they were then trying to change history by deleting information from history books. 

It is certianly vital to live where they have good schools.

• Like 1

I don't know that I want my children in any of the school systems around the world. Home schooling seems to be a hell of a lot better way to go.

Spot on Paul, Home Schooling is the way to go...IF...you are willing to devote the time it takes to do it right.  It also helps to purchase one of the correspondence curriculums although I don't feel the interactive mailing homework back and forth is worth the money.

• Like 1
Skywalker

I looked at living in Cambodia when I was seeking an alternative to Bangkok.

I decided that Saigon would be a more attractive location than Phnom Pehn, though not by much.  However Cebu City got my attention, and the language isn't a problem here.

I find the locals to be friendlier, more welcoming and more attractive than others in the region.

I visited Phnom Pehn many times when I was living in Bangkok, and whilst it's a great City to visit, I didn't find it interesting enough to live there.

• Like 2

No they aren't. They are like overgrown shrimp. Shrimp aren't bugs either!

post-4822-0-20370900-1455938160_thumb.jpg

How about this Moreton Bay Bug.

\They cost almost as much as lobster in Oz.

KonC

• Like 2
liquido

I was in PP and SR Cambodia a few years back and found the food far much better than the RP maybe because of the neighboring Thai and Vietnam influence..It sure felt hotter there and yes the language barrier which might hinder you in meeting a decent lady..I guess if your a foreigner over 50 you cannot marry a local .I think Cambodia is bouncing back after Pol Pot wiping out a third of the population with many being there brightest.I saw alot more younger tourist there than here probably because of Angkor Wat and the Killing fields tours....The Malls where not the best...Yeah I heard about the medical facilities there and the AIDS there also...I wish I would have made it to Sihanoukville to see what the big deal is about there...........

SkyMan

I guess most of it would apply to RP too!
Biggest differences I see is the medical in the RP is better than described by the author.  Not great but better.  And I was surprised to read about expats doing meth and perhaps other drugs.  I guess I'm not surprised expats are doing drugs but I don't think many are doing drugs here in the RP due to the harsh punishments.  I would expect the punishments (and prisons) in Cambodia to be similarly foreboding.

Item 2: I have seen some of the best, well behaved children here. My former landlord has one boy and two girls, son is grown in his early 20's, one girl 16 and the other 5. All are great children. However, I have seen my share of "Filipino-like" children here as well. That is, they too, seem to spoil the youngest in many families. Either way, I would not have an issue raising children here or in the Philippines. That guy is full of shit.
I don't think he was talking about the behavior of the kids but the quality of schools and medical where the kids were concerned.  He might be exaggerating but not much.

Item 5: Mother is long deceased
Yeah, seems an odd reason to tell someone not move to SEA or anywhere.  I'm pretty sure anyone who makes a move considers their own personal lives individually and no two are the same.

4. Living in Cambodia will destroy your financial future.
This entry is probably correct for anyone looking to move there, or the RP, intending to "find a job" there or as he said, open a bar.  It completely ignores pensioners, however.  Surely if this guy is experienced with expats he'd have run into at least a few pensioners and would have mentioned them in his write up.  So it does make me wonder a bit if he's really an experienced authority or just going from personal observations.
contraman

Home schooled kids :(

The ones I have known are prats with no social skills :(

Come to think of it, they are the same as their parents :idontknow:

Edited by contraman
  • Like 5
  • Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

I would expect the punishments (and prisons) in Cambodia to be similarly foreboding.

The cost of buying one's way out of troubles is affordable in both places but is allegedly cheaper in Cambodia.

that Saigon would be a more attractive location than Phnom Pehn, though not by much.

That is basically my assessment as well. Where we differ is I think Saigon has volumes more going for it than Cebu.

Hell even the Internet in Cambodia is in many ways better than the Philippines!

The difference just in one year here is, I went from 2 ISPs that provided a total of 12 Megabits, to 1 ISP that provides me with 10 Megabits. If I still had both of them, I could have a connection faster than 20 Megabits down. I don't need it, though. Chan can watch Youtube on the other computer, while I stream anything I want, with no lagging or delays, ever. 

Surprisingly, another thing that the "Old West" has over the Philippines. I guess faster internet is available here, due to the close proximity to Thailand and Vietnam? I cannot think of another reason. But, whatever the reason, I am glad it exists.

Grass is freely available in Cambodia, and I do mean freely, I mean, you can order it on your pizza, but I never saw evidence of any hard stuff.

KonC

• Like 2
JohnSurrey

That isn't the Living in Cambodia Forum. That is K440, comprised, mostly, of school teachers who work in Cambodia.

That's right... I was reading through some of the information you and the other guys living in Cambodia have posted on the "Living in Cambodia" forum (that I found down the bottom under External Links or something) and I was pleasantly surprised with how cheap the rents there are and other things... that I started looking for other view points... and I then I found the "K440" article... obviously a bit of a piss-take but he does make some good points.

BTW thanks for your input and the Living In Cambodia forum

• Like 1