7 Reasons Why You Really Shouldn't Move to Cambodia...

JohnSurrey

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paul

• diverdon

• ozboy

• Davaoeno

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That isn't the Living in Cambodia Forum. That is K440, comprised, mostly, of school teachers who work in Cambodia.    Item 1: I agree with the medical issues here. In fact, I can vouch for the shitt

I was looking at the (Living in) Cambodia forum the other night and I subsequently discovered this little gem which made me laugh... I guess most of it would apply to RP too!     http://www.khmer44

Item 8: Paul lives there.... 

Posted Images

questsea73

Lovely article...carries me right back into those nostalgic, moronic life style mid-20 year old years of a guy's life in the 1960's in SEA.  A lot still applies to one extent or another to quite a few countries in SEA/Pacific region.

Ken

• Like 1
  • Administrator
Salty Dog

Item 8: Paul lives there....  :yahoo:

• Like 9

Not much there I could argue with. I've met a lot of desperate, untrustworthy forigners in Asia.

A lot of the desperation refelected in the OP is from his own nature not his location. But anyone who has a chance to raise their kids where there are good schools and middle class values should do so. I have trouble explaining to my five year old why we do not give to begars when we visit the Philippines. 

Edited by diverdon
dnl_grout

But, where I live, and with my spending habits, I am still able to put away money each month now. That is a huge change for me.

Ya you better get out of there, having cash is so stressful, having to decide what to do with it is such a pain.

• Like 1

A lot of the desperation refelected in the OP is from his own nature not his location. But anyone who has a chance to raise their kids where there are good schools and middle class values should do so. I have trouble explaining to my five year old why we do not give to begars when we visit the Philippines.

Granted, I don't currently have any children who are school aged. Quinn will be though, in the not-too-distant future. He turned 4 this past Christmas Day. From what I know of the educational system, even in the west, I don't know that I want my children in any of the school systems around the world. Home schooling seems to be a hell of a lot better way to go. Then, I KNOW what my children are learning. Some of this shit I hear - and a LOT that I don't hear coming from their mouths today, really leaves me questioning the whole educational system in this world. 

• Like 1

My cousin is a Christian Based International School Teacher in  Toul Kork, Phnum Penh, Cambodia........for over 3 years.....as far as the kid's school work, it is up to the standard of a School in OZ..but mind up, im only talking Primary...The food looks repulsive esp. the fried insects and other things like dogs.

Housing seems very cheap but there are a lot of similarities as to both above posts.....It will be interesting to run them past her and get her opinion of the above from another perspective........

FOODS

post-7902-0-31844100-1455929727_thumb.jpg

post-7902-0-67368200-1455929755_thumb.jpg

post-7902-0-65435300-1455929788_thumb.jpg

post-7902-0-65962000-1455929819_thumb.jpg

post-7902-0-58275500-1455929842_thumb.jpg

post-7902-0-44545600-1455929875_thumb.jpg

• Like 2
contraman

7 reasons why you really shouldn't move to Cambodia !

I guess one could write seven reasons not to go to ANY Country :idontknow:

Edited by contraman
  • Like 5
Goetz1965

After reading that I didn't know that I actually live in cambodia - lol 

• Like 1

Granted, I don't currently have any children who are school aged. Quinn will be though, in the not-too-distant future. He turned 4 this past Christmas Day. From what I know of the educational system, even in the west, I don't know that I want my children in any of the school systems around the world. Home schooling seems to be a hell of a lot better way to go. Then, I KNOW what my children are learning. Some of this shit I hear - and a LOT that I don't hear coming from their mouths today, really leaves me questioning the whole educational system in this world. 

Paul, We have a five year old, so he went to a pre-k half day last year and as of today he has completed 103 days of kindergaden. About us I am somewhat versed in science and math and my wife has a four year engineering degree and speaks five languges fluently. Plus we do have enough leasure time that we could home school if we needed to. So in my mind if somehow things "went wrong" at school I could pull our son out and take care of him at home. 

We are in a district with a very good public system. About 2/3 of the tax base is farms, and farmers like to get value for their dollar. All I can tell you is that I can now see that I was wrong about my being able to home school as well are the professional teachers in our district can teach children. My son is doing things well in kindergarten that I was not doing until second grade. He reads well, He can sound out words that He does not know. He can figure out how to spell many words that he has not learned to spell by their sound. He can write proper complete sentences, he can add and subtract, properly and he solves simple word problems.

At this point if there were a problem with the school, I would try very hard to solve the problem because the school would be very hard to replace in my kids lives.

4. I pay social security here in the Philippines and i am a foreigner. granted it may not be much for the future ,but its still better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.