guitartechk

On January 20, 2016 I married my love, Vivian, in Minglanilla, Cebu.

Now don't take me wrong, I am not complaining here, just observing...

Of course, being the rich American (but as I understand it just being the groom is sufficient), I paid for everything, especially the reception. Vivian and I had a budget, but as I suspected a budget overrun, I had some cash reserves.

2 things surprised me: 1. Everyone and their mother showed up to the reception and 2. The biggest moocher was an expat!

I (well actually Vivian) had to continually send folks out on beer and chicken runs...

It was a great time and I am happy to be able to accommodate my guests, but what the ...?

Love to hear your thoughts?

• Like 7
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• guitartechk

• HeyMike

• Davaoeno

• Irenicus

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A guy whose actions with children in public  are extreme enough for you to feel the need to step in and control him does not to me represent " a difference in culture" .   It represents something far

On January 20, 2016 I married my love, Vivian, in Minglanilla, Cebu. Now don't take me wrong, I am not complaining here, just observing... Of course, being the rich American (but as I understand i

After fourteen marriages in the Philippines, I'd hope ya had it figured out by now.  

Scotsbloke

On January 20, 2016 I married my love, Vivian, in Minglanilla, Cebu.

Now don't take me wrong, I am not complaining here, just observing...

Of course, being the rich American (but as I understand it just being the groom is sufficient), I paid for everything, especially the reception. Vivian and I had a budget, but as I suspected a budget overrun, I had some cash reserves.

2 things surprised me: 1. Everyone and their mother showed up to the reception and 2. The biggest moocher was an expat!

I (well actually Vivian) had to continually send folks out on beer and chicken runs...

It was a great time and I am happy to be able to accommodate my guests, but what the ...?

Love to hear your thoughts?

Pics or it didn't happen ;)

More seriously, congrats to you and Vivian.  A lifetime of happiness is my wish.

• Like 3
  • Administrator
Dafey

Congrats on finding the love of your life!!! Next time elope!

• Like 2
guitartechk

Actually guys I made videos of the entire trip and posted to Youtube. Postcards From Cebu is what is called. Originally I made the videos for my family since they were not able to make the trip.

Davaoeno

I had a wedding reception last year .  We set the number of invitees and limited it to that .   There was 1 chair for each guest and tables were marked as to who was to sit there.    I think there were maybe 2 people show up uninvited.  When the wine and beer ran out that was it . No beer runs. 

No moochers. No problems .    Maybe I just got lucky .

• Like 2

The biggest moocher was an expat!

Define "moocher", please. If you are throwing the wedding, and had agreed to pay for everything (which has always been the typical way it has gone - in all my years in the Philippines anyway), you agreed to pay for everything. Are you saying he drank too much? Ate too much? Was he not invited to the wedding?

Not trying to piss you off here. Just playing devil's advocate. 

• Like 2
AussieLex

Congrats to you both ....

I am getting married in the very near future but don't think we will have any of the problems you experienced. My landlord here is arranging the reception and footing the bill. We are doing a civil wedding and the reception is invite only and limited to close family and friends ...

guitartechk

Define "moocher", please. If you are throwing the wedding, and had agreed to pay for everything (which has always been the typical way it has gone - in all my years in the Philippines anyway), you agreed to pay for everything. Are you saying he drank too much? Ate too much? Was he not invited to the wedding?

Not trying to piss you off here. Just playing devil's advocate.

Fair enough Paul, I guess I'm using moocher in the wrong context here, no he was an invited guest and a good enough guy, he just drank too much (who hasn't) (my fault for refilling his glass) and was getting a little too friendly with some of the children. I put a stop to it and all is well. Just acknowledging some differences in culture, well maybe not so different, haha

• Like 1
Davaoeno

Just acknowledging some differences in culture,

A guy whose actions with children in public  are extreme enough for you to feel the need to step in and control him does not to me represent " a difference in culture" .   It represents something far more serious. 

• Like 8
guitartechk

A guy whose actions with children in public  are extreme enough for you to feel the need to step in and control him does not to me represent " a difference in culture" .   It represents something far more serious.

I don't disagree...
  • Like 3

he just drank too much

For a Filipino, paying for beer in the Philippines would be like us paying for it in the US. For an expat invited to your wedding, he looks at is as cheap-assed beer, that only cost you a few bucks. 

I see you laid out some money for it. Nice reception. I'm not cheap, but more than I would have. Filipinos, as most SE Asians do, they tend to go overboard when figuring costs for weddings and receptions. I set a limit and I don't go beyond it. 

Here in Cambodia, these nut cases will pay $50,000 USD for a wedding. The poor will pay $2,000 to $3,000 USD for them. No way in hell, man. No way ever, especially if I know I can't afford it. 

• Like 1
Ozepete

Congratulations to you both and hope you have many happy years together. :rose:

By the way, did you know that only when you marry in the Phils you both get to change your title:
She goes from Miss#### to Mrs####, you go from Mr#### to Mr ATM!  :Yay: 

Things are different here mate, just lay back and smell the roses  enjoy!

Edited by Ozepete
  • Like 2
  • Admin (Retired)
broden

we got married in the RP nice church wedding nice reception. i covered the cost. my wife was very good with the budget and saving us money.

tons cheaper than even a very budget conscious wedding in the states that's for sure.. including the honeymoon and airplane tickets

• Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

Everyone and their mother showed up to the reception

Get used to that. 

For every Filipino you actually invite to something, plan on ten turning up. 

• Like 1
guitartechk

Paul, I'm with you man... but this was my love, so I spared no expenses (haha in PHP that is) I have no complaints really my point was the only contention was another expat. And that had more to do with his behavior, not the money.

• Like 1