Sign in to follow this  
Thalcoozyo

Wireless vs Hardwire speeds

Goetz1965

Don't trust ookla ! - this speedtest is whitelistet with nearly ALL ISP - so it will always show perfect speeds - you really cant rely on it anymore.

Then make sure all your gadgets have the capaility to run 50mbps - if theres a gadget with an old specification like only capable of 20mbps then that will throttle verything behind it.

• Like 1

Woolf

This is from the user manual of the router

if enabled then try to disable it

Wireless QoS WMM Support Wi-Fi Multimedia (WMM), formerly known as Wireless Multimedia Extensions (WME), is a Wi-Fi Alliance certified feature, based on the IEEE 802.11e standard. This feature provides QoS to wireless networks. It is especially suitable for voice, music and video applications; for example, Voice over IP (VoIP), video streaming, and interactive gaming. If you have other devices on your wireless network that support WMM, select Enabled. Otherwise, keep the default, Disabled. No Acknowledgement This feature prevents the Router from re-sending data if an error occurs. To use this feature, select Enabled. Otherwise, keep the default, Disabled. Click Save Settings to apply your changes, or click Cancel Changes to clear your changes.

The following is also from the user manual

if enabled then try to disable it

Applications and Gaming > QoS Quality of Service (QoS) ensures better service to high-priority types of network traffic, which may involve demanding, real-time applications, such as videoconferencing. There are three types of QoS available: Device Priority, Ethernet Port Priority, and Application Priority. QoS Enable/Disable To enable QoS, select Enable. Otherwise, select Disable. QoS is disabled by default. Upstream Bandwidth Select Auto or Manual from the drop-down menu. Manual allows you to specify the maximum outgoing bandwidth that applications can utilize.

Here is the link to the user manual   http://downloads.linksys.com/downloads/userguide/1224642019596/WRT54G2_V15_UG_NC-WEB.pdf

Woolf
Don't trust ookla ! - this speedtest is whitelistet with nearly ALL ISP - so it will always show perfect speeds - you really cant rely on it anymore.

In this case it is a good tool it clearly shows that there is a bottle neck with the WIFI in the router/laptop

Hardwired from modem to laptop, and the speedtest = 50

Hardwired from modem to router to laptop, and the speedtest = 50

Hardwired from modem to router, then wireless from router to laptop, and the speedtest = 16

Edited by Woolf
  • Like 1

miles-high

Well, I’m sure your Toshiba has a LAN port… Why not use a long Cat 6 cable between your existing router and Toshiba? Cat 6 is inexpensive and thin, very flexible and almost invisible! ;) Just a suggestion...

Woolf

Well, I’m sure your Toshiba has a LAN port… Why not use a long Cat 6 cable between your existing router and Toshiba? Cat 6 is inexpensive and thin, very flexible and almost invisible! ;) Just a suggestion...

Hardwired from modem to router to laptop, and the speedtest = 50

what is hardwired  ??   a cat 4, cat 5 or a cat 6 cable ??????

see post #20

Edited by Woolf

fordtech

Then make sure all your gadgets have the capaility to run 50mbps - if theres a gadget with an old specification like only capable of 20mbps then that will throttle verything behind it.

I use this speed test, have been told its more accurate. 

http://speedof.me/

enoonmai

The OP's concern is with the internal wifi network, checking internet d/l speeds is not going to help much. He needs to check the wifi connection speed on the laptop adapter. I had this router once and (as I recall) got a constant 44Mbps on the wifi net. Probably a misconfiguration, check the router and wifi adapter settings. Disable WMM if it's enabled and see if that helps.

rep1

Show me a WiFi mouse or headphones. 

I wonder about you most days.

not wifi, but same band. Logitech mouses use the same 2.4GHz, also for my sennheiser rs 170.

you could try it by yourself... All wireless mice in recent 10 years switched to 2.4GHz, a few are 5GHz but not common. And newer wireless headphones also switched to 2.4GHz.

Edited by aqd

miles-high

not wifi, but same band. Logitech mouses use the same 2.4GHz, also for my sennheiser rs 170.

http://www.amazon.com/HP-WiFi-Mouse/dp/B00556O4YC

WiFi is just a trademark and for those devices that use 802.11, Bluetooth uses the similar technology in that both use 2.4GHz radio freq for wireless ops...

rep1

there is interference as long as the band range is close. It's also not uncommon for my own headphone to interfere my mouse.

I never tested bluetooth but probably same problem. until they make 10GHz it's better to avoid using WiFi when possible.

Thalcoozyo

I've tried the tips by Woolf and enoonmai... but no improvement.  I'm at a ping of 10, d/l of 16-ish, u/l of 6-ish.  It's ok... cuz now I'm hardwired from modem to laptops.  The rest of the family's tablets, phones, etc. seem acceptable to them, so I guess everyone is happy.