Sign in to follow this  
Thalcoozyo

Wireless vs Hardwire speeds

Chas

Toshiba Satellite L305 - an oldie but goodie. Is serving my needs just fine.

And remember the original issue... is wireless speed thru a router going to equal the same speed as on hardwire.

But I do understand the issue of my wireless card... maybe that is the chokepoint. So maybe someone can knowledgeably tell me?

Thank you.

I have had another look (Google) and I agree with Woolf. Looks as if your router and Wireless card match at 802.11g

So to answer your specific query you will not get the WiFi speed to match the hardwired speed with your hardware. If that bothers you then upgrade both the router and the Wireless module in your laptop.

Edit - Woolf and Paul posted whilst I was tapping this out on my tablet :-)

Edited by Chas
  • Like 1

Thalcoozyo

B/G only

G is 54 Mb/s max   and you will almost never get 54 Mb/s

Buying another router will not help you anything

OH, I agree with this... yep, b/g only.  No N capabilities.

So you are of the opinion that, with my paying for 50 mbps service, that to have my current ping of 13, d/l of 16-18, u/l of 5-6... is about what I'm gonna have to live with?   I'm not really wanting to buy another laptop to achieve higher speeds.

My response posted after the prior replies... I didn't see them, sorry.

So thanks for saving me $100-$200 for a new router that I would have pissed & moaned about.  If I'm liimited by my laptop, then I can live with that.  I was concerned that my router was konking out.

Thanks

Woolf

OH, I agree with this... yep, b/g only.  No N capabilities.

So you are of the opinion that, with my paying for 50 mbps service, that to have my current ping of 13, d/l of 16-18, u/l of 5-6... is about what I'm gonna have to live with?   I'm not really wanting to buy another laptop to achieve higher speeds.

If the laptop is the only unit to access the internet, yes you are paying for a bandwidth that you can not use

Well you can hard wire your laptop

Edited by Woolf

Chas

If the laptop is the only unit to access the internet, yes you are paying for a bandwidth that you can not use

Well you can hard wire your laptop

Or get a new router and an upgraded Wireless dongle for a USB port on the laptop? But check with somebody because for all I know you might be constrained by USB port speed.

Thalcoozyo

Yes, I'll likely begin to use hardwire from router to laptop(s). I have 2 laptops, located conveniently such that I can use hardwire quite easiy.

The wireless I'll leave as is... the asawa does her FB, the kid does FB and casual browsing.

The kid also does a little online gaming... but very little. He's not griped about the speed so I'll not go there.

Thanks again.

Paul

Just in case my LAN connection ever has an issue.

Screenshot 2016-02-15 04.46.03.png

• Like 1

Thalcoozyo

One final question, if I may... does it hurt to have a laptop hardwired connected  AND leave the wireless card activated at the same time?  Meaning, the laptop is getting fed 2 inputs... hardwire and wireless. 

I don't think this is detrimental to the laptop, is it?

Cipro

STINGRAY_v2.38

• Like 1

Paul

One final question, if I may... does it hurt to have a laptop hardwired connected  AND leave the wireless card activated at the same time?  Meaning, the laptop is getting fed 2 inputs... hardwire and wireless. 

I must be psychotic, errrr... psychic. 

Woolf

A little off topic well

there is a good tool for android phones, that will show wifi routers in the neighborhood

it will show what channels used and you can move your routers channel for less

interference 

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.farproc.wifi.analyzer&hl=en

Paul

The router shows both LAN and WiFi connections for the "Acer" desktop.

2016-02-15 05.20.19.png

Latency test for your WiFi connection. 

2016-02-15 05.10.jpg

rep1

10MB/s on 2.4GHz is sufficient to render your wireless mouses and headphones totally unusable.

It seems to even cause congestion of some sort - when you transfer large files in high speed expect the speed to drop to zero after a few seconds then restore, drop again, ...

Cipro

10MB/s on 2.4GHz is sufficient to render your wireless mouses and headphones totally unusable.

It seems to even cause congestion of some sort - when you transfer large files in high speed expect the speed to drop to zero after a few seconds then restore, drop again, ...

Show me a WiFi mouse or headphones. 

I wonder about you most days. 

• Like 2

Thalcoozyo

Priority bandwidth goes to the LAN ports. Say that you have your laptop connected via LAN cable. Other users in your home, laptop, desktop, phone, tablet, etc., are all connected via WiFi. Your computer will get the lion's share of the bandwidth. Everyone else, connected via WiFi, will split the balance of the bandwidth available.

Yep... you must be! (sykotic) 

Thanks all, for the "input." No pun intended.

• Like 1

Paul

Bluetooth, another topic - not the same as WiFi.