Sign in to follow this  
Thalcoozyo

Wireless vs Hardwire speeds

Thalcoozyo

If a person has ISP that provides 50 mbps speed:

Hardwired from modem to laptop, and the speedtest = 50, this is proof that the ISP is providing the speedy service and the laptop can handle it.

Hardwired from modem to router to laptop, and the speedtest = 50, then this again shows the speedy service is present and the laptom can handle it.

Hardwired from modem to router, then wireless from router to laptop, and the speedtest = 16, then what is the problem?

The wireless router is Linksys WRT54G2  v.1

Is working fine... I'm just not getting the desired wireless speed that I'd like.

Will a person EVER get the same speed via wireless that they get with hardwire?

Or is the router always a chokepoint?

Will a new router likely cure my speed problem?

(would be both -g and -n capable)

Thanks for constructive feedback.

Lost

If you have other wireless routers in the area you will lose speed to interference. I get my full speed using a dual band router.

Thalcoozyo

If you have other wireless routers in the area you will lose speed to interference. I get my full speed using a dual band router.

I live in a neighborhood of homes in which there are a million signals.

Are you saying these are the reason for my slow speeds?

Lost

I live in a neighborhood of homes in which there are a million signals.

Are you saying these are the reason for my slow speeds?

I'm no expert, but yes. I doubt many will be using the 5.0 GHz band, so get a dual band router and you will get your full speed I bet. You can download an app called wifi analyzer and see what kind of competition your signal has, and place it on a lonely channel for best results.

Edited by Lost

Lost

Not sure we're allowed to post links, but this is what I use:

http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-Archer-C5-Wireless-Gigabit/dp/B00JZFG6QS

I lived in an apartment with hundreds of wireless signals and I was barely getting 1/3 of my advertised speed. Switched to an empty 5 ghz channel and getting the same speed as hard wire.

I have 50mbps uverse over wifi: 

Screen-Shot-2016-02-14-at-11.32.54-AM_zp

Edited by Lost

miles-high

Sorry to say that your router is, just like many other things, too old for you... :D

You should replace it with a 802.11ac router... minimum 802.11n...

Thalcoozyo

Sorry to say that your router is, just like many other things, too old for you... :D

You should replace it with a 802.11ac router... minimum 802.11n...

Yea... I'm afraid this may be true.  Seems like the new routers are ac dual band.

But I also see user reviews which seem to state the 5band sacrafice signal strength/distance.

However, I  ASSUME  the 2.4band will be faster than my current router.

Sorta liked the looks of the Linksys WRG1900acs router... until I started reading the reviews on both BestBuy and Amazon.  Looks like this model has some significant bugs and can't seem to work properly. Too many reboots are needed.  I've not NEEDED to restart my current router for YEARS... only when I  think about it and feel "today is a good day to reset it all."

The WRG1900acs is iffy... but I wonder about the WRG1200ac model?

Chas

Unless I missed it you have left out a key bit of information.  What speed will the WiFi card in your laptop support?  No point upgrading the router (yet!) if the WiFi card in your Laptop will not match it.

• Like 4

Thalcoozyo

Unless I missed it you have left out a key bit of information.  What speed will the WiFi card in your laptop support?  No point upgrading the router (yet!) if the WiFi card in your Laptop will not match it.

hmmmm... how can I find out?  I'm sitting here now in front of it.

ahhh... is this it?  Atheros AR5007EG Wireless Network Adapter

Edited by Thalcoozyo

Chas

If this is your adapter Qualcomm Atheros 802.11 a/b/g/n Dualband Wireless Network Module then update your router.  If I have googled it correctly your existing Router is max 802.11g 2.4MHz, your laptop is 802.11n and will support 2.4 and 5MHz   I am definitely no expert, but I would always go for a 5MHz channel purely because it has less contention at the moment.  I guess that will change as time goes by.

fordtech

I found the same answer on my Smart TV. On wireless it was much slower than hardwired. I figured its the wireless card in the TV causing the problem. 

Woolf

the information I could find for the adapter say it is b/g only

what brand model of your laptop ?

Thalcoozyo

the information I could find for the adapter say it is b/g only

what brand model of your laptop ?

Toshiba Satellite L305 - an oldie but goodie.  Is serving my needs just fine.

And remember the original issue... is wireless speed thru a router going to equal the same speed as on hardwire.

But I do understand the issue of my wireless card... maybe that is the chokepoint.  So maybe someone can knowledgeably tell me?

Thank you.

Edited by Thalcoozyo

Woolf

http://www.cnet.com/products/toshiba-satellite-l305-s5955/specs/

B/G only

http://www.cnet.com/products/toshiba-satellite-l305-s5875/specs/

B/G only

G is 54 Mb/s max   and you will almost never get 54 Mb/s

Buying another router will not help you anything

• Like 1

Paul

Regarding your hardware, here is a neat little utility that, I believe I got from this forum actually. (I don't recall who posted it, originally.)  It gives you detailed information about the hardware in your computer. It's called CPU-Z

is wireless speed thru a router going to equal the same speed as on hardwire.

It is my understanding that routers distribute bandwidth the following way.

Priority bandwidth goes to the LAN ports. Say that you have your laptop connected via LAN cable. Other users in your home, laptop, desktop, phone, tablet, etc., are all connected via WiFi. Your computer will get the lion's share of the bandwidth. Everyone else, connected via WiFi, will split the balance of the bandwidth available.