Sign in to follow this  
Paul

Primarily meant for Americans: Why use metrics?

contraman

I googled perth hardware and picked a couple.

:ROFLMAO:

I have done the same, and can not find what you are referring to but I will give you some help. :yahoo:

BUNNINGS

This is the biggest HW store in OZ, You may care to note that all sizes are in metric :idontknow:

Soupeod

What's metrix

SkyMan

:ROFLMAO:

I have done the same, and can not find what you are referring to but I will give you some help. :yahoo:

BUNNINGS

This is the biggest HW store in OZ, You may care to note that all sizes are in metric :idontknow:

Ok, lets check Bunnings plywood......

http://www.bunnings.com.au/2440-x-1220-x-6mm-aa-grade-mixed-hardwood-marine-plywood_p0320029

2440 x 1220 x 6mm AA Grade Mixed Hardwood Marine Plywood

$49

How big is their typical plywood?  Can you say 8ft X 4ft?  Yeah, I thought you could.

• Like 1

contraman

How big is their typical plywood?  Can you say 8ft X 4ft?

No, You can not, what ever way you want to spin it, It is NOT and I repeat NOT sold as 8X4 , you obviously didn't even read your link  :idontknow:

Scotsbloke

Horsepower - what is that all about?  Is there a Metric Horse somewhere battling with an Imperial steed?

Can of worms, chap.  'Our' horses raise imperial weights over imperial distances where as the horses from 'Johnny Foreigner' raise their newfangled metric weights over metric distances.  Thus we have BHP and they have PS with a PS being about 98% of a BPH.

Kilowatts is the SI equivalent but it's seldom quoted for power output 'over here'.

In the UK the displacement of an engine is described in cubic centimeters, but the speed is quoted in miles per hour.

Also, torque is usually quoted in lbft as opposed to nm.

So in The UK a 2l engine (SI) can have its power quoted in BHP (imperial) and torque in lbft (also imperial).

That's pretty irrelevant, though.  All of the actual engineering is metric, as is most of The US's car manufacturing.

Edited by Scotsbloke
  • Like 2

Soupeod

What upsets me is a British pint is bigger than an American pint.. Don't know what metric folks call a pint.

contraman

What upsets me is a British pint is bigger than an American pint.. Don't know what metric folks call a pint.

Lol

.You should try travelling through the different States in OZ

Attached is an idea of what to expect :yahoo"

:link:

• Like 1

SkyMan

No, You can not, what ever way you want to spin it, It is NOT and I repeat NOT sold as 8X4 , you obviously didn't even read your link   :idontknow:

I did read the link, what size do you call it?

Woolf

In denmark we call plywood 1220 by 2440  (4 by 8),     "one     twenty two  by  two   forty four" (1.22 by 2.44 meter)

yes plywood is sold in that size in denmark

• Like 1

contraman

I did read the link, what size do you call it?

There is none as blind as those who refuse to see.

8X4 is NOT Mentioned anywhere on that site. Just in case you failed to read that, here it is again  8X4 is NOT Mentioned on that site.

You can put all the spin you like on it that you like,

But the FACT is you have stuffed up again

Best you quit before you embarrass yourself further :idontknow:

• Like 1

Ozepete

I work on refrigeration quotes particularly heat loads so as to size equipment correctly. Without getting too pedantic (don't ya love that word!) here is a simple example:

To cool a kilogram (one litre) of water by one degree centigrade, simply remove one watt of heat. Likewise to heat a kilogram (one litre) of water by one degree centigrade, simply add one watt of heat.

Change any of the factors and computations are simple and fast.

So simple, now try doing this with pints, degree Fahrenheit and BTU's! :hyper:

The savings to industry and economies by using metric systems is staggering!

• Like 4

Woolf

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pint_glass

pint glass is a form of drinkware made to hold either a British ("imperial") pint of 20 imperial fluid ounces (568 ml) or an American pint of 16 US fluid ounces (473 ml). These glasses are typically used toserve beer, and also often for cider.

UK  pint = 568 ml

US  pint = 473 ml

Metric  500 ml   or half a liter        half liter beer glass

Edited by Woolf
  • Like 1

SkyMan

8X4 is NOT Mentioned anywhere on that site.
It's not mentioned on the site but that's what size it is.  8ft by 4ft.  You can convert t to whatever you like but it's not a metric measurement.  Like I said before but you had trouble reading, if it were sold 3X1.5 meters or 2X1 meter or even 2.5X1.25 meter, then it would be a metric measure.  But 2440X1220?  It's just a metric conversion of a standard imperial size.
  • Like 1

Woolf

Like I said before but you had trouble reading, if it were sold 3X1.5 meters or 2X1 meter or even 2.5X1.25 meter, then it would be a metric measure.  But 2440X1220?  It's just a metric conversion of a standard imperial size.

You accept that 1.25 x 2.5 meter is a metric measure, why then is 1.22 x 2.44 meter not ????

SkyMan

You accept that 1.25 x 2.5 meter is a metric measure, why then is 1.22 x 2.44 meter not ????

Because it's 8X4ft and that's were it came from.  Some years ago there was standardization of the size of plywood and they picked nice numbers, 8 feet by 4 feet.  6X3 too small, 10X5 too large.  No way they were going to pick 7'4"X3'8" right?  Just too weird.  So if you decided to come up with a metric standard size for plywood, would you come up with a weird number like 2440?  No.  That's just a metric conversion of an imperial size so you're still using imperial measurements.  

Do you buy milk in liters (metric size) or .946 liter (quart) bottles?  Some things you've gone metric and others you still haven't.