Sign in to follow this  
Paul

Primarily meant for Americans: Why use metrics?

Woolf

I am 5 feet 7 inches tall

I am 170 cm  tall

I am 1.70 meter tall

I know what I find easier

contraman

I guess you would :yahoo:

• Like 1

RogerDuMond

I'd be happy to switch, and in the 70's or so when I was a shaver it looked like we might but it was all just a head fake to trick Canada. 

The biggest economy on earth uses this old measurement system, and that's just a lot of inertia. 

The answer to the question, why didn't the US switch was primarily financial.

"Many factors played a role in frustrating the adoption of the metric system in the United States. But much of the opposition from the 1870s onward came from the manufacturers of high-end machine tools. They had based their entire system—which encompassed everything from lathe machines to devices for cutting screw threads—on the inch. Retooling, they argued, was prohibitively expensive. They successfully blocked the adoption of the metric system in Congress on a number of occasions in the late 19th and 20th century."

Edited by RogerDuMond

Paul

Why is that a waste?  Those are common sizes and even used in countries that claim to be on the metric system.  For example, I went to a typical Australian HW store site and looked up marine plywood.  They listed it as 2440x1220mm.  Is that really a metric size?  No, it's 8X4 ft disguised as a metric measurement.  If it were 3X1.5 meters or 4X2 meters or even 2.5X1.25 meters I'd say it's a metric measurement but no, it's typical 8X4 ft.

Because Filipino architects design homes in metric measurements. Metrics and standard are not going to match up exactly, every time. 

Cipro

I am 170 cm  tall

I am 1.70 meter tall

67 inches?

JSL-USMC

give it to me in meters and I still have to compute to SAE. I know appx what an inch, a foot, a yard, a mile is. If you tell me your house is 1400 sq. ft I can visualize It. I ain't gonna change. but at 81 who G'sAF, over.

• Like 2

Cipro

give it to me in meters

Pretty sure there is a "she said" in there someplace. ....

• Like 1

JSL-USMC

Pretty sure there is a "she said" in there someplace. ....

Ha. How about mm

• Like 1

contraman
I went to a typical Australian HW store site and looked up marine plywood.  They listed it as 2440x1220mm.  Is that really a metric size?  No, it's 8X4 ft disguised as a metric measurement.

I find that hard to believe

More Info please, When and where was this ?

BTW, What is your definition of a typical Australian online HW store.

:idontknow:

Edited by contraman

SkyMan

Because Filipino architects design homes in metric measurements. Metrics and standard are not going to match up exactly, every time. 
I was talking Australian (and other country's) plywood.

SkyMan

It ain't basketball.

oztony

How many that have commented here use measurement everyday ?

Because there is argument for both , but if the US had of converted when others did maybe there would be just 1 universal.

I find C a little coarse for human use, as do most people apparently, as evidenced by C thermostats being adjusted in half degree increments. Maybe we need deci-degrees to come into popular use. 

Agreed , and now most thermostats have moved to that system , increments of .1

I grew up in NZ with the metric system but I work in aviation, so a lot of stuff is in imperial units.

So it's mm and metres at home, feet & inches (and thousandths of inches) at work!

Yep , younger Bro is an avionics technician , imperial spanners and feeler guages

So if you ever have to measure a third of a

meter, good luck."

Capture.JPGok.JPG  

regardless of what pompous know-it-all Aussies and Europeans think.

Ah , okey dokey , that aint a road you want to travel amigo , but up to you.....

I'm still pissed-off because when I started riding Jap bikes, I had to buy all new tools.    :spiteful:

Self inflicted amigo , can't help you...  (in the stable...1950 panhead harley and 1973 triumph bonneville)

I tried to find a comfortable, bedroom temp by setting the thermostat at 70°F, 71°F, 72°F, 73°F, 74°F, I liked 73°F and it is permanently set at 73°F... You think you can feel the difference in the room temp at 22.23°C, 22.78°C, 23.33°C, etc? 22°C would be too cold, 23°C would be too hot... I suppose a digital thermostat could set it at 22.777778°C...

Just a little bit precious for me , you are talking about a decent fart to change the difference in your comfort zone (temperature wise)  :)

Being from the UK, and old, and an engineer, I was brought up on imperial...bushels pecks rods poles and perches as well....Then mixed with CGS system in the 70's, then MKS. Most of my work has been in metric units.

BUT...some things are instinctive and I can "feel" them. Degrees F is one of them. Thousands'th of an inch for bearing fits and gap settings. 

My real hate in the MKS system is the Pascal. When companies pedantically use that nonsense official unit....equal to one Newton per square metre, a ridiculously low pressure....for things such as tyre pressure used by the general public..it's confusing and smacks of officialdom overdoing things.

The PSI is clear and instinctive. BAR at 2.3, 2.4 etc is OK. I can't understand adding Kpa for public use.

I use PSI everyday in refrigeration , and inches in ductwork , but all building work is done in metric , it is a combination in the world I operate in.

• Like 1

Woolf

Thermostat

46643-Digital-Timer-Thermostat.png

• Like 2

garg

they teach both systems in my kids school... making him functionally system bilingual. which is better than choosing one over the other, the more you know and all.

Yes, and when the generation that refuses to learn metric dies off they'll do the change to metric.

miles-high

Average price of a new SUV...

In the US, it's about $37,500.00

In EU, it's about €37.500,00... I guess that is in metric? ;)