Sign in to follow this  
Paul

Primarily meant for Americans: Why use metrics?

Ozepete

:troll:   :lmao:

You don't even understand the difference between the DECIMAL system that U.S. currency is based on, and the METRIC system! Two entirely different systems!

Really, could you explain the difference? :banghead:

• Like 2

contraman

I'm still pissed-off because when I started riding Jap bikes, I had to buy all new tools.     :spiteful:

Maybe, but at least you didn't have to use them as often  :yahoo:

• Like 1

miles-high

We already have water meters, electric meters, speedometers, altimeters, etc. in the US…

• Like 1

woodchopper

Really, could you explain the difference?

doesn't the decimal system use a "dot" and the other mob use a 'fullstop",,or is it viceversa?,,,,,,,,,,,, :killself: 

contraman

You'll have to ask the gorilla! He knows every damn thing about every damn thing! If you don't believe me, just ask him! A true legend in his own mind!  :wheel:

I am pleased that you finally caught on,

But it did take you some time,

I guess that was to be expected :good:

• Like 2

trthebees

I tried to find a comfortable, bedroom temp by setting the thermostat at 70°F, 71°F, 72°F, 73°F, 74°F, I liked 73°F and it is permanently set at 73°F... You think you can feel the difference in the room temp at 22.23°C, 22.78°C, 23.33°C, etc? 22°C would be too cold, 23°C would be too hot... I suppose a digital thermostat could set it at 22.777778°C...

Being from the UK, and old, and an engineer, I was brought up on imperial...bushels pecks rods poles and perches as well....Then mixed with CGS system in the 70's, then MKS. Most of my work has been in metric units.

BUT...some things are instinctive and I can "feel" them. Degrees F is one of them. Thousands'th of an inch for bearing fits and gap settings. 

My real hate in the MKS system is the Pascal. When companies pedantically use that nonsense official unit....equal to one Newton per square metre, a ridiculously low pressure....for things such as tyre pressure used by the general public..it's confusing and smacks of officialdom overdoing things.

The PSI is clear and instinctive. BAR at 2.3, 2.4 etc is OK. I can't understand adding Kpa for public use.

• Like 3

Ozepete

doesn't the decimal system use a "dot" and the other mob use a 'fullstop",,or is it viceversa?,,,,,,,,,,,, :killself: 

They are the same You can call it a dot, a full-stop or correctly a decimal point, doesn't matter. Thing is a decimal system IS metric.

The decimal point is placed after whole numbers and prior to decimal parts thereof:

ie:  99.8 apples means you have 98 whole apples plus 8 tenths of an apple.  It is a great system and saves economies billions.

• Like 2

woodchopper

i had a gf once had a polka "dot" dress but all the fittings underneath were female system!

Edited by woodchopper
  • Like 1

Cipro

Thing is a decimal system IS metric.

Um no. 

The metric system is decimal, but not vice versa in much the same way that all Salmon are fish, but not all fish are Salmon. 

Decimal just means a base 10 method of counting, metric refers to an entire system of weights and measures. US dollars are denoted in decimal. US dollars are NOT part of the metric system. 

I'm a little sad I had to explain this. 

• Like 1

Woolf

ie:  99.8 apples means you have 98 whole apples plus 8 tenths of an apple.

98 whole apples   ??????????????????????   what about 99

• Like 2

contraman

I'm a little sad I had to explain this.

I am also sad that you did not succeed  in doing so :yahoo:

what about 99

Yeah, What about 99?

Oh, If it needs explaining, I guess that you wouldn't understand anyway :yahoo:

• Like 2

Woolf

Oh, If it needs explaining, I guess that you wouldn't understand anyway

ok you aet one of them  ??

• Like 1

contraman

ok you aet one of them  ??

I have no idea of what you ask, Sorry but I dont understand :idontknow:

• Like 1

SkyMan

Um, dude, I AM an American. So, my opinion does count, for the US and beyond. 
Not if you're preaching that foreign measurement stuff.

Visit your local lumber yard in the Philippines. 3/8" x 4' x 8' sheets of plywood. 2" x 4" lumber. Talk about serious waste when constructing a stick built home.
Why is that a waste?  Those are common sizes and even used in countries that claim to be on the metric system.  For example, I went to a typical Australian HW store site and looked up marine plywood.  They listed it as 2440x1220mm.  Is that really a metric size?  No, it's 8X4 ft disguised as a metric measurement.  If it were 3X1.5 meters or 4X2 meters or even 2.5X1.25 meters I'd say it's a metric measurement but no, it's typical 8X4 ft.

It's funny as hell, watching someone who uses standard measurements, trying to figure out the metric equivalents. 
At least they can whereas a metric person is lost and only able to complain about the US.
  • Like 4

SkyMan

USA Measurements: You can have your opinion, but it does not count anywhere else in the world, including most of the Americas.
The thing is we don't care and only wonder a bit why anyone else does.

Edit: Sorry, I forgot about Liberia and Myanmar, whereever they are.
And the Philippines and probably quite a few other countries that claim to be metric but use both and don't seem to have a problem with it.