Sign in to follow this  
Paul

Primarily meant for Americans: Why use metrics?

Woolf

Good, at least ONE american that got it

• Like 4

bahalina buong

I've switched to metric, but like most Americans, I still have friends and family back in the US who have no clue about the metric system.  So some of us still hang in limbo, unable to fully commit to one or the other.  I can't send an email to a friend saying I lost 3 kilos and it's been 31 celsius all week.  It's really that simple why some of us don't fully convert.

• Like 2

USMC-Retired

Why use the Metric system.  Till my Gas station and my milk switch I will be happy with what I have.  

• Like 3

SkyMan

American Measurements: You can have YOUR opinion. But, it does not count in the USA. And, many thanks for that!
  • Like 2

broden

they teach both systems in my kids school... making him functionally system bilingual. which is better than choosing one over the other, the more you know and all.

i can't see any road works people in the states even trying to get budget ok's for the massive amounts it would take to change or even just add new road signs everywhere.. with out even taking in to consideration that most people don't want them. 

i don't have a problem personally remember how imperial measures work or how they inter-relate. metrics may be more uniform but i can't offhandedly picture them in my head unless i first convert them to something similar in standard .. no different than learning a new language. for example i can  draw two lines a 32nd of an inch apart with out measuring and be sure i got it right every time (i did a lot of technical drawing back in high school) or just about any other measure especially small ones.. i can pour a quart of liquid in to something with similar confidence. but if i want to do liter or centimeter i need to think and convert mentally first. so while it might possibly be better for someone learning metric as a first language so to speak. it really doesn't benefit me(st least) at all to switch to it as my go to system. 

what's best is to be able to use both systems and being able to switch back and forth seamlessly as my son is learning. 

• Like 1

TheWhiteKnight

I purchased a metric only tape measure when I moved here thinking, ah what the hell, when in rome. It's screwed me a few times already haha. Because this nation imports half their shit or worse doesn't know what the hell they are doing I've had to deal with both. In fact on some products half the dimension is in meters and the other half inches, what the hell!!!

Paul

Why use the Metric system.  Till my Gas station and my milk switch I will be happy with what I have.  

It's easier, as I have shown above. It's funny you mention "gas stations". Petrol is sold, even in the most rural of provinces, by the liter. However, diesel, when in provincial areas, has often been sold by - the gallon. Totally screwed up.

American Measurements: You can have YOUR opinion. But, it does not count in the USA. And, many thanks for that!

Um, dude, I AM an American. So, my opinion does count, for the US and beyond. 

I purchased a metric only tape measure when I moved here thinking, ah what the hell, when in rome. It's screwed me a few times already haha. Because this nation imports half their shit or worse doesn't know what the hell they are doing I've had to deal with both. In fact on some products half the dimension is in meters and the other half inches, what the hell!!!

Visit your local lumber yard in the Philippines. 3/8" x 4' x 8' sheets of plywood. 2" x 4" lumber. Talk about serious waste when constructing a stick built home.

they teach both systems in my kids school... making him functionally system bilingual. which is better than choosing one over the other, the more you know and all.

i can't see any road works people in the states even trying to get budget ok's for the massive amounts it would take to change or even just add new road signs everywhere.. with out even taking in to consideration that most people don't want them. 

i don't have a problem personally remember how imperial measures work or how they inter-relate. metrics may be more uniform but i can't offhandedly picture them in my head unless i first convert them to something similar in standard .. no different than learning a new language. for example i can  draw two lines a 32nd of an inch apart with out measuring and be sure i got it right every time (i did a lot of technical drawing back in high school) or just about any other measure especially small ones.. i can pour a quart of liquid in to something with similar confidence. but if i want to do liter or centimeter i need to think and convert mentally first. so while it might possibly be better for someone learning metric as a first language so to speak. it really doesn't benefit me(st least) at all to switch to it as my go to system. 

what's best is to be able to use both systems and being able to switch back and forth seamlessly as my son is learning. 

Both systems would be okay, as long as the children are taught to be able to convert between one and the other, easily.

Good, at least ONE american that got it

A LONG time ago. 

I've switched to metric, but like most Americans, I still have friends and family back in the US who have no clue about the metric system.  So some of us still hang in limbo, unable to fully commit to one or the other.  I can't send an email to a friend saying I lost 3 kilos and it's been 31 celsius all week.  It's really that simple why some of us don't fully convert.

Just because everyone else is ignorant, doesn't mean you have to cater to it. Of course, most common measurements, weights and temperature, especially, I can pretty well convert quickly in my head. 

It's funny as hell, watching someone who uses standard measurements, trying to figure out the metric equivalents. 

• Like 1

Cipro

I'd be happy to switch, and in the 70's or so when I was a shaver it looked like we might but it was all just a head fake to trick Canada. 

The biggest economy on earth uses this old measurement system, and that's just a lot of inertia. 

Salty Dog

Just because everyone else is ignorant?

Well isn't that precious…

• Like 2

topcat72m

1litre of water is 1 kg.

cvgtpc1

Would have no problem switching to the metric system.....just don't make me switch to Celsius lol

• Like 1

Cipro

Would have no problem switching to the metric system.....just don't make me switch to Celsius lol

I find C a little coarse for human use, as do most people apparently, as evidenced by C thermostats being adjusted in half degree increments. Maybe we need deci-degrees to come into popular use. 

topcat72m

Again based on water. 0'c freezing point of water 100'c boiling point.

Very simple system.

• Like 3

mexiwi

I grew up in NZ with the metric system but I work in aviation, so a lot of stuff is in imperial units.

So it's mm and metres at home, feet & inches (and thousandths of inches) at work!