LED 12 VDC lighting problems.

thebob

was thinking about 30cent (pea-sized things with wire legs) or higher powered $2? (postage stamp sized things) LED's too!  

I'm pretty sure they are talking about the (rather expensive) retail LED lamps that are about the size and shape of traditional residential filament lamp bulbs or 12V LED array versions intended for the auto market.  

The 12VDC or 240VAC rated ones must have some kind of current limiting/conditioning electronics built-in.  

Inside they are all the same device just scale and packaging. The expensive mains ones just have an expensive phosphor coating to help them look like daylight.

Even the yellow postage stamp ones are just tiny arrays of series parallel devices.

Running long lengths of 12V is very inefficient, especially if you are relying on a slowly draining lead acid battery, as the voltage droops. everything just gets worse.

The reason that trucks use 24 volt is because of how long they are!

• Like 1
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RogerDat

• Woolf

• Oz Jon

• Paul

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

First, do not buy any more automotive batteries. You haven't read enough of the solar / alternative energy threads on this site.   "Solar" batteries are heavier than automotive batteries for a reaso

Best to not allow your battery to go down to below about 11.5V or you will be killing it off rather quickly, deep cycle or not! Most likely your battery is rated 450CCA (cranking amp rating) not 450

please explain a bit more about what your numbers mean.   I'm guessing that your first line means that a 5W LED draws .42 Amps and that you have 10 of them (running for 12 hours?) Similarly, 2W LED

Posted Images

Oz Jon

Just get a small inverter connected to your batteries and go AC all the way, get rid of the 12 volt lights and use 230 volt AC LED lights.

canceled

I misunderstood you - Your idea has merit - it reduces the current by ~20:1 and consequently, high power losses in long runs of thin cabling.

Edited by Oz Jon
  • Like 1
easydrifter

I could recommend the charger that I bought 6 months ago in Handyman Hardware for P4,300. It's a "Panther" brand made in the Philippines, 25 Amp either 12 or 24 volt. I don't know how 'smart' it is but it weighs 9 kilos and looks heavy duty. Not saying it's the best thing out there but I used it for charging a 150 ah deep cycle battery just fine but have never needed it since I got my first solar panel. A guy on YouTube called "Gadget Addict" does a little demonstration of charging a big Motolite deep cycle with his 10 Amp Panther charger.

• Like 1
contraman

I

Running long lengths of 12V is very inefficient, especially if you are relying on a slowly draining lead acid battery, as the voltage droops. everything just gets worse.

The reason that trucks use 24 volt is because of how long they are!

canceled

I misunderstood you - Your idea has merit - it reduces the current by ~20:1 and consequently, high power losses in long runs of thin cabling.

To minimise voltage drop, Trucks (Semi Trailers) also use 4mm wire and up to 6mm wire on Road Trains  :idontknow:

• Like 1
easydrifter

I run my 3 AC LED yard lights for a total of 19 watts for 12 hrs every night.Powered by a 150ah Chinese 12v battery and an inverter. I've heard that inverters are not as efficient for small loads as 12v but my battery voltage only drops from 12.7v to 12.6v over night. I mainly have this for brownouts but figure I might as well get some use out of it every day.

Edited by easydrifter
  • Like 1
Oz Jon

I run my 3 AC LED yard lights for a total of 19 watts for 12 hrs every night.Powered by a 150ah Chinese 12v battery and an inverter. I've heard that inverters are not as efficient for small loads as 12v but my battery voltage only drops from 12.7v to 12.6v over night. I mainly have this for brownouts but figure I might as well get some use out of it every day.

Not surprising that you see hardly any change in the battery voltage in the morning!

19Watts at 12V is (19/12) Amps. [i=W/V]

For 12 hours, that's 12*(19/12) = 19 Amp.hrs (only 12-13% of the battery's capacity).

Even allowing for the fact that Chinese specs are notoriously optimistic, you have a well-over-engineered system - nothing wrong with that, if the cost was sensible!

Cheers!

Edited by Oz Jon
  • Like 2
RogerDat

Well, I got the battery and charger today. Battery is a 200 AH, 12VDC.

Charger is a automatic charger. It is a 20 amp rated.

is Oz John in Cebu? Who can build the switch thingy he posted, and how much?

I have approaching a 6 amp draw with 10, 5 watt, 1, 1 watt, 1,6 watt, and 18, 0.1 watt LED lights.

I have to build a new bench that can support about 100 lbs.

post-7667-0-24649900-1465294519_thumb.jpgpost-7667-0-98247900-1465294664_thumb.jpgpost-7667-0-27680700-1465294779_thumb.jpg

• Like 1
Paul

is Oz John in Cebu? Who can build the switch thingy he posted, and how much?

???

RogerDat

LINC_PWR-Model.jpg

Oz Jon 2nd pager this post.

RogerDat

I found a sticker on the back of my new charger that say's to only charge battery's less than 100AH!

The store that sold it to me says they will take it back, if they do, will post the name and address.

I know a truck driver in Germany, I will contact him about a 220 3 stage charger.

RogerDat

Well they refunded the charger, but held 3% to cover the card cost. Good source for solar and golf cart battery's.

PM me for store name, and location near pier 4.

Paul

Well they refunded the charger, but held 3% to cover the card cost. Good source for solar and golf cart battery's.

PM me for store name, and location near pier 4.

You can post it, if you want.