Jump to content

Dipolog/Dapitan to Davao by land through Zamboanga & Cotabato Province--do or don't?


Recommended Posts

Hi everyone.  I'll be traveling from Dipolog or Dapitan to Davao City and I wonder if it's going to be reasonably safe to pass through Lanao del Norte, Zamboanga del Norte, and Cotabato provinces, on a motorbike, all the way to Davao.  Or are these roads going to be something worth avoiding based on present conditions?  I'd like to avoid having to go through Ozamis, Iligan, CDO, and then on down to Davao, as this will be the longer journey and I've done it before.  post-3080-0-62024600-1455253345_thumb.png

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Tullioz

    7

  • Davaoeno

    5

  • Soupeod

    4

  • Paul

    2

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

let me expand on the fellows comment you posted a question mark over.  your posts are bordering on reckless.  we have lived here and been involved in doing business all over this country for over a de

Even if you are correct 99% of the time a person should still consider if they are willing to risk being there the other  1% of the time.   You are commenting on a question that apparently is being

What many do not understand is that in some places in the Philippines having NPA can actually be a good thing. A few years back my son went to a High School competition down South of Butuan. The town

Posted Images

throttleplate

Hi everyone.  I'll be traveling from Dipolog or Dapitan to Davao City and I wonder if it's going to be reasonably safe to pass through Lanao del Norte, Zamboanga del Norte, and Cotabato provinces, on a motorbike, all the way to Davao.  Or are these roads going to be something worth avoiding based on present conditions?  I'd like to avoid having to go through Ozamis, Iligan, CDO, and then on down to Davao, as this will be the longer journey and I've done it before.  attachicon.gifsafe-or-not.PNG

that way is from what i have been told when living in dipolog back in 2009-10 is best to be avoided as lots of activity that way. I drove bike to sandugen and back but was told not safe farther on.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Davaoeno

I have driven from Cebu via Dipolog to Davao 3 times.   Google map says the quickest way is thru Injun territory ie Pagadian.  However my wife refused to let me go that way any of the 3 times..  So off to Ozamis and CDO we went .   Many people in Davao have told me to avoid the  route through Pagadian.  Some of them are probably just reactionaries, but I dont think they can all be wrong.  Better safe than sorry I guess.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Tullioz
I have traveled the Davao/Cotabato/Pagadian portion of this route several times going between Zamboanga City and Davao City without any problems. I have made this trip as recently as last month and spent a weekend in Kapatagan to attend a fiesta along the way. Is it dangerous? I think traveling on any road or highway in the Philippines can be dangerous. Lol... 

 

As far as having to worry about being kidnapped or becoming a victim of insurgents in the region, I wouldn't be. Kidnappings and attacks against westerners take planning, coordination, and approval from leadership before they can be carried out. A foreigner passing through on a motorcycle is not going to allow anyone time to plan an attack or abduction. As far as getting caught in the crossfire of any rival clans or government forces, once again it is very unlikely. Most of this takes place away from the main highways, and when it does occur near a major route or roadway the government will close the road several kilometers in advance until the danger has passed. 

 

The roads between Pagadian and Davao via Cotabato are not as good as they are along the Iligan/CDO route. There are lots of areas under construction which can hold you up, and the areas that are not under construction can be rough in a few places, so that is something else you may want to think about. 

 

Another thing to consider. 

 

post-15209-0-50923900-1455274604_thumb.jpg

 

If this guy can ride around that region on his scooter taking the same route you are considering, and at the same time taking time to make Youtube videos along the way; then I think it is pretty safe to say you will be able to pass through without any problems. 

Edited by Tullioz
Link to post
Share on other sites
Davaoeno

 

 

I think it is pretty safe to say you will be able to pass through without any problems

 

 

Even if you are correct 99% of the time a person should still consider if they are willing to risk being there the other  1% of the time.

 

You are commenting on a question that apparently is being asked by just an average guy.  But before that guy listens to what you say I think it only fair that that guy be advised that you also consider it OK to travel on a fairly regular basis to some of the most dangerous places in the Philippines.   

 

Just because you havent been shot or kidnapped so far doesnt mean that it isnt going to happen.

 

I think that you are a danger junkie and I have no problem with that. However as I said, I think that before you give people "safety" advice you should divulge to them your attitudes on travel to dangerous places.  Just to be fair.

  • Like 8
Link to post
Share on other sites
Tullioz

 

Just because you havent been shot or kidnapped so far doesnt mean that it isnt going to happen.

 

 

I am aware that something bad could happen to me as often as I go to some of the high risk areas, and suspect it will eventually happen, but if Kyle Jennerman who started "Becoming Filipino" with his ADHD and obnoxious behavior can travel through the same area that the OP will be traveling without anything bad happening, then anyone can. He has many video's on his channel from that part of Mindanao that can be viewed to show that he goes their regularly and visits some pretty out of the way places that most here would consider too dangerous. I like the guy, but even I wouldn't go to some of those places bringing as much attention to myself as he does. Lol...
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
questsea73

Slow down for the couple of road construction messes you will likely get into.....slow down for the small places to go thru.  Give the roadside loungers a chance to crank up their cell phones to their compadres 20 km down the route so as to prepare a welcome for you.

 

Like in artillery firing call outs  for forward observor:  "On the way....Wait."    Impact: "on target...fire for effect".

 

Ken

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
streak03

Ever heard the term "target of opportunity"?

Edited by streak03
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

those are the red zones according to the US State department. Korandal, Lake Sebu, Gen San and Davao are very safe. I was advised by a local that even Iligan is not safe unless you are with a local.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not a good idea. Catobato is not place you will feel welcomed, if your Western looking and White.

Link to post
Share on other sites
rainymike

Let's put it this way. On any given day, you can drive through Afghanistan and nothing will happen to you. On the wrong day, - it's a shit storm.

 

It's a mistake to believe that if someone else did it safely that it will be safe (or unsafe) for you. Wrong variables for analysis in my opinion. On any risky journey, you evaluate the risks in real time (not last week or a year ago or what did or didn't happen to Joe Blow and gather all the relevant intelligence you can. This forum and the State Department are good places to start, but I wouldn't place all my eggs in those baskets for information.

 

But then again, I'm an older guy and don't take too many unnecessary risks these days. LOL ... and it's how I survived to become an older guy.

 

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
liquido

I guess there is no possibility of ever getting a flat tire or mechanical breakdown? Ripe picking for a kidnapping and sold to them nice fellers in Tawi Tawi...Nah

Link to post
Share on other sites

Let's put it this way. On any given day, you can drive through Afghanistan and nothing will happen to you. On the wrong day, - it's a shit storm.

 

It's a mistake to believe that if someone else did it safely that it will be safe (or unsafe) for you. Wrong variables for analysis in my opinion. On any risky journey, you evaluate the risks in real time (not last week or a year ago or what did or didn't happen to Joe Blow and gather all the relevant intelligence you can. This forum and the State Department are good places to start, but I wouldn't place all my eggs in those baskets for information.

 

But then again, I'm an older guy and don't take too many unnecessary risks these days. LOL ... and it's how I survived to become an older guy.

 

 

Exactly! Why put yourself at risk?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..

Capture.JPG

I Understand...