Marriage in the US - Live in Cebu

AmericanFred

My fiance has an approved U.S. K1 VISA.

We would like to go to the U.S. and get married then come back to the Cebu and get married.

We plan to continue living in Cebu after we are married.

We would like to travel to the U.S. at least once a year for short 1-3 month holidays.

What are the best option(s) based on the above as well as keeping our options open for future.

Options?

* Marry then Apply to Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status and stay in the US for 6 months min.?

* Once married in US apply for an Approved Parole? so we can go back to PH

* Apply for extension?

* Marry then Apply for change of status?

* Petition to Remove the Conditions on Residence?

* Wait two years from marriage anniversary then apply for xx visa?

* Get a civil wedding in the PH before going to US?

* Don't get officially married in the US, go back to Cebu and do xx?

* Marry in US, leave to Cebu, then Petition for Alien Relative after married on next vacation to US (6 months min)

* Marry in US, leave to Cebu, then apply for Tourist VISA (hard to get?)

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shadow

• AmericanFred

• miles-high

• smokey

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Marry in the US, wait three years from marriage anniversary then apply for the US citizenship, reclaim Filipino citizenship... is probably the safest way in securing your wife's freedom of passage (i.

Several things you need to consider. Your age Age difference. Your income Do you plan to have children? Provisions for your wife on your death. And health issues. Personally I think a widow is

I don’t know if anyone mentioned it before but it would not be easy for her to travel to many countries. Some countries give her only single entry visa if at all… Her “visa-free” countries are only ha

miles-high

Marry in the US, wait three years from marriage anniversary then apply for the US citizenship, reclaim Filipino citizenship... is probably the safest way in securing your wife's freedom of passage (i.e., visa-free to most countries in the world) and that is what we are waiting for now... :)

• Like 6
smokey

I think K 1 can not leave till the status is changed then only leave for short periods... unless you get citz. which can in reality take 5 years ..

• Like 1
SkyMan

I think K 1 can not leave till the status is changed

I think that's a bit backwards. After the wedding they have to apply to change status so she can stay. She's free to return after the wedding and would then have no problem getting a tourist visa since she'd been to the US and left on time already.

It doesn't sound like they're particularly interested in getting her US citz so no need to stay beyond the 90 days.

Edited by SkyMan

I believe if you were to have a K1 visa for your girlfriend, you cannot be married here first and then travel to the USA.  Someone can correct me on this.  If you are married here, then the "fiancé" part is no longer valid.

Edited by Jawny
  • Like 1
AmericanFred
We have an approved U.S. K1 VISA

Issue Date 25NOV2015
Expiration Date 26APR2016

We plan to get an outbound flight to U.S. mid. March and an Return flight mid. June

Planning to get married in U.S. mid. May and getting married in Cebu beg. Oct

So one option is to get married in the U.S. and don't change the status? and leave back to Cebu before the 90 days after U.S. marriage?

Then apply for a tourist VISA next planned holiday?

Thanks for everyone's opinion and shared experience.

Edited by AmericanFred
datkins587

Marry in the US, wait three years from marriage anniversary then apply for the US citizenship, reclaim Filipino citizenship... is probably the safest way in securing your wife's freedom of passage (i.e., visa-free to most countries in the world) and that is what we are waiting for now... :)

Are you sure you only need to wait 3 years from the marriage date to apply for citizenship? I was told you had to wait 3 years from the date your of first green card approval. Which in most cases is a good 6 to 9 moths after your marriage. I could be wrong and I hope I am.

Edited by datkins587
cebubird

My fiance has an approved U.S. K1 VISA.

We would like to go to the U.S. and get married then come back to the Cebu and get married.

We plan to continue living in Cebu after we are married.

We would like to travel to the U.S. at least once a year for short 1-3 month holidays.

What are the best option(s) based on the above as well as keeping our options open for future.

Options?

* Marry then Apply to Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status and stay in the US for 6 months min.?

* Once married in US apply for an Approved Parole? so we can go back to PH

* Apply for extension?

* Marry then Apply for change of status?

* Petition to Remove the Conditions on Residence?

* Get a civil wedding in the PH before going to US?

* Don't get officially married in the US, go back to Cebu and do xx?

* Marry in US, leave to Cebu, then Petition for Alien Relative after married on next vacation to US (6 months min)

* Marry in US, leave to Cebu, then apply for Tourist VISA (hard to get?)

We were married in US after her coming on K-1. We too planned on going back to Cebu to live.

We did not go to trouble/expense of changing her status and returned to Cebu within a year.

After 5 years we decided to return here and just got spousal visa and came back.

miles-high

I was told you had to wait 3 years from the date your of first green card approval. Which in most cases is a good 6 to 9 moths after your marriage. I could be wrong and I hope I am.

You are right, 3 years from the date the green card is issued. It was about 2 months wait for the interview and 1 month to receive the card...

• Like 1
shadow

Issue Date 25NOV2015

We plan to get an outbound flight to U.S. mid. March and an Return flight mid. June

So one option is to get married in the U.S. and don't change the status? and leave back to Cebu before the 90 days after U.S. marriage?

Your plan is doable, although you run the risk of the tourist visa being denied. Theoretically, it should not be denied as she has shown she does not want to live in the states, but...

• Like 1
RogerDuMond

Issue Date 25NOV2015

Your plan is doable, although you run the risk of the tourist visa being denied. Theoretically, it should not be denied as she has shown she does not want to live in the states, but...

Might there be a future problem getting married in US after the expiration of the visa?

Edited by RogerDuMond
shadow

Might there be a future problem getting married in US after the expiration of the visa?

No, the expiration of the visa is the last date she can enter the US. She has 90 days from her entry date in which to marry.

smokey

I think that's a bit backwards. After the wedding they have to apply to change status so she can stay. She's free to return after the wedding and would then have no problem getting a tourist visa since she'd been to the US and left on time already.

It doesn't sound like they're particularly interested in getting her US citz so no need to stay beyond the 90 days.

I think the 90 days is the time they allow for the marriage to take place or they cut the visa... as to getting a green card or change of status I think that takes a few years ,, unless they only want to marry in the usa then move to the Philippines I guess she just gives up her green card so how does she visit every year

smokey

if the plan is to NOT live in the usa why bother with the K1 just move here get married and apply in a few years for a IR visa married to american citz... Green cards are for people who want to LIVE in the usa visitors visa for visitors...

• Like 1
SkyMan

I think the 90 days is the time they allow for the marriage to take place or they cut the visa... as to getting a green card or change of status I think that takes a few years ,, unless they only want to marry in the usa then move to the Philippines I guess she just gives up her green card so how does she visit every year

There is no green card if they don't apply for chanege of status.

if the plan is to NOT live in the usa why bother with the K1

He wants to get married in the US.

so how does she visit every year

Answer.....

visitors visa for visitors...
Edited by SkyMan
  • Like 1