Women required to register for draft?

• Admin (Retired)
broden

We are seeing what the "you don't have to do it if you don't feel like it" mentality is doing to the US. 

Hey I'll get my bennies and I don't have to do anything  to get them them.

I don't want to pay taxes, support those who don't deserve it, etc., etc.

Charity, welfare, social programs  - same, same.  One voluntary the others forced

JonnyBravo - I agree - just like anything else - if the majority allow a fringe group to dictate their focus then they have no one to blame other then themselves.

i don't have a problem with people earning benefits .. welfare included

you want the benefits , for example, that military members get.. join the military

you want the benefits like welfare and are able bodied .. work for them

i don't have a problem with that

i'm all for people having the choice to do so or the choice to do without those benefits

what starts out as enforced civil duty can very quickly become indoctrination in to however the political winds may be blowing at the time or just indoctrination it to the thinking that government is all things .. and the ballooning of government in to our lives way more than it even is already

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• broden

• Paul

• lamoe

• Scotsbloke

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I imagine if all of a sudden, sorry darling, pack your shit, we are going to take a couple of years of your life...btw, you may need to cut your hair and cancel your appointment at the hairdressers...

"physically qualified"they say---Good luck to that, ... Out of 23 who volunteered  for "women in combat infantry training"  only 3 female made it.  Women that want to go in combat can and will volunte

With the government changing the age to buy tobacco and alcohol to age 21 they need to make the age to register for the draft to 21   If your old enough to die for your country.... Your old enough t

Posted Images

i don't have a problem with people earning benefits .. welfare included

you want the benefits , for example, that military members get.. join the military

you want the benefits like welfare and are able bodied .. work for them

i don't have a problem with that

i'm all for people having the choice to do so or the choice to do without those benefits

what starts out as enforced civil duty can very quickly become indoctrination in to however the political winds may be blowing at the time or just indoctrination it to the thinking that government is all things .. and the ballooning of government in to our lives way more than it even is already

We agree in principle  but

"give starving people a fish and they eat for a day - give them a fish everyday and most will say "feck it - fish is good enough for me why should I do anything?"

• Admin (Retired)
broden

then take away governmental hand outs.or at the very least cut them back drastically.. 

of all kinds

Instead of going through menstruation cycles every month, they are in a constant state of PMS, which is their normal state anyway.

Turn that shit loose in Pakistan. :D :D 

we may have a problem paying for everyone to be in the military

That's a simple fix. Stop all the funds going overseas to help out these shit countries who only want money from us in the first place. Foreign Aid - let it come to an end. Then, we can put all those extra funds to good use, for our own country for a change. 

• Like 1

I have NO problems in having a strong military. Look how strong our military was under Reagan. I would be all for that, again - and more. 

Large doesn't mean strong though. Iraq had the 4th largest Army in the world when we invaded them this last time but we plowed through them with ease. People who don't want to fight simply won't fight when it's time to get down to it. Iraq had very outdated/poorly maintained equipment as well.....but that's eventually what happens when you have too many people serving in the military.

Currently the US has the most powerful military in the world with plenty of room to spare.....add our allies into the mix and there is very little the US and the West has to worry about. 

And I would say the US military of today is MUCH stronger than the US military in the 70's-80's. What did they have then that isn't better today? 

• Like 1

Large doesn't mean strong though. Iraq had the 4th largest Army in the world when we invaded them this last time but we plowed through them with ease. People who don't want to fight simply won't fight when it's time to get down to it. Iraq had very outdated/poorly maintained equipment as well.....but that's eventually what happens when you have too many people serving in the military.

Currently the US has the most powerful military in the world with plenty of room to spare.....add our allies into the mix and there is very little the US and the West has to worry about. 

And I would say the US military of today is MUCH stronger than the US military in the 70's-80's. What did they have then that isn't better today? 

Support of the POTUS.

• Like 2

What did they have then that isn't better today? 

Reagan.

• Like 5

What did they have then that isn't better today?

A middle class......thanks Ronnie

• Like 2
ProudPinay

Every American who's physically qualified should register for the draft," said Neller at a Senate Armed Services Committee hearing Tuesday that examined the new policy to admit women into combat units.

"physically qualified"they say---Good luck to that, ... Out of 23 who volunteered  for "women in combat infantry training"  only 3 female made it.  Women that want to go in combat can and will volunteer to do so (more of proving to themselves that they can do what men can do in combat). But, not all women cries for such. I for one would be of great disadvantage to my team if that ever happen. I am 5'0, 105 lbs,, I can barely lift (standing straight) my full sea bag.  And no, I have no aspiration to join the combat, If I wanted to be in that type of service I would have join the Marine and the Army off the bat, or join military police. Nevertheless, my being a woman and non-combatant contributed less to the mission or brought disservice as a whole. Just to clarify something, no female in the service that I know of are exempted or given a time-off from work or participating in physical training  because they are menstruating. Oh, female specially the  fresh one from bootcamp will try to pull  that excuse  but never work unless they can show an excuse slip from medical.  

As far as doing a mandatory service after high school, I see positive on that than negative. The young ones these days would benefit to get expose to good order and discipline and military bearing, sure will help straightened up their spoiled I don't care attitude about the world, and of course serve the country.

......and No, I have no desire to compete and be a MAN. If I wanted to wear the pants in my family I would have not looked for a Mr.  I like me in dressNheels, and my womanly desire, thank you very much!

My 2 cents... :girldevil:

• Like 5

I work for the Army as a civilian.   The Army is downsizing and even deployed soldiers are getting pink slips.   Promotions are stagnant and morale is low. 

Oh! - these simplistic solutions to complex problems! ( in the US, or anywhere for that matter)

So, some of you want every youth of 18 to spend the next few years in the military (or doing mundane jobs* in some other branch of the public service)?

What is that going to cost the taxpayers (in direct costs)?

Even more important, what is that going to cost the nation in indirect costs, in lost/delayed opportunities?

Some of these youths (male or female) are the entrepreneurs, the smart people, the do-ers, the wealth and job creators of the near future. - and they are to be held "in-limbo" in non-productive activity for a year or so?

A year or more cost to the nation instead of continuing their education, gaining experience in the real world, being productive, job- creating and tax-paying?

Problems are rarely solved by throw-away "one-liners"

A bit of thought as to the full implications has merit.

Are these to be newly created jobs? unnecessary jobs? or do you sack the current workers to make way for the conscripts?

Edited by Oz Jon

Philosophically, I'm firmly libertarian however I can't help thinking a compulsory 2 years of military service would do a helluva lotta good to repair the terrible parenting going on these days.  Kids need discipline and learning actions have consequences.  But it should be for ALL, no exemptions for being rich or famous.  And definitely should involve a drill sergeant cloned from the "full metal jacket" movie:

post-2066-0-84601000-1455174546_thumb.gif

• Like 2

Philosophically, I'm firmly libertarian however I can't help thinking a compulsory 2 years of military service would do a helluva lotta good to repair the terrible parenting going on these days.  Kids need discipline and learning actions have consequences.  But it should be for ALL, no exemptions for being rich or famous.  And definitely should involve a drill sergeant cloned from the "full metal jacket" movie:

attachicon.gifFull-Metal-Jacket-Stanely-Kubrick-Top-25-Best-Book-To-Film-Adaptations.gif

And you are quite confident that will achieve (whatever it is) that you are trying to achieve with 100% youth involvement. (because you apparently believe that 100% of youth have some character defect?)

You presumably have some evidence that your solution will achieve your aims, improving youth according to your criteria? - not just a forlorn, unsubstantiated, uninformed hope ?

Any chance that there will be some "collateral damage"?

Never mind, if it's for the "greater good"

The good must suffer with the bad!

Have you considered standing for President?

Edited by Oz Jon

Oh! - these simplistic solutions to complex problems! ( in the US, or anywhere for that matter)

So, some of you want every youth of 18 to spend the next few years in the military (or doing mundane jobs* in some other branch of the public service)?

Even more important, what is that going to cost the nation in indirect costs, in lost/delayed opportunities?

Some of these youths (male or female) are the entrepreneurs, the smart people, the do-ers, the wealth and job creators of the near future. - and they are to be held "in-limbo" in non-productive activity for a year or so?

A year or more cost to the nation instead of continuing their education, gaining experience in the real world, being productive, job- creating and tax-paying?

Problems are rarely solved by throw-away "one-liners"

A bit of thought as to the full implications has merit.

Are these to be newly created jobs? unnecessary jobs? or do you sack the current workers to make way for the conscripts?

And your solution to our myriad of problems is?

A bit of thought and research, rather than the typical poo pooing without offering a counter solution, has been given to the concept of compulsory service (military and otherwise).

You are right, if everyone was as thoughtful and responsible as you seem to think they are then mandatory behavior would not be needed BUT they an't - they're 18 

You're saying the rest of socity should be made to suffer for the possible, maybe, perhaps benefit of a very, very few. How many? 1%, 2%?

"Some of these youths (male or female) are the entrepreneurs, the smart people, the do-ers, the wealth and job creators of the near future. - and they are to be held "in-limbo" in non-productive activity for a year or so?"

YES - Most 18 year olds today are not as mature as when either of us was growing up. Some, again very very few maybe. They need to be in a situation where they are not responsible to either a helicopter parent or totally un-involved one.

Less than the infrastructure benefits received.

What opportunities? There are none for 18 year olds.

I'm  fascinated by the concept of "the needs of the few outweigh the needs of the many". Do nothing because you might, possibly, perhaps, could offend, disadvantage a few.

Edited by lamoe
  • Like 1
Scotsbloke

YES - Most 18 year olds today are not as mature as when either of us was growing up. Some, again very very few maybe. They need to be in a situation where they are not responsible to either a helicopter parent or totally un-involved one.

What opportunities? There are none for 18 year olds.

See, I think our teenagers are better than are often portrayed on here.  OK so I'm a white middle-class bloke living in a largely middle-class area but I do have teenagers either visiting for food or having sleepovers most weekends given that I have 3 teens.

Generally they are smarter, more confident and better educated than I was in the 1970s.  Mostly they study hard and get the exam results they deserve.  Oh and are good humoured.

I have two issues.  1. They are messy as feck. 2. They eat me out of house and home.  My son had 3 of his rugby pals last Saturday and they consumed their own bodyweight in meatballs and pasta.

As for opportunities?  Most 'here' go on to Uni but my elder daughter is seeing a guy aged 19 who didn't want to go to Uni.  He found a position as a trainee surveyor and works 4 days a week and goes to college each Thursday.  He's not 'Brain of Britain' but he's polite, well mannered and committed to his job.

Obviously my situation isn't exactly representative but I really wouldn't want to dismiss this generation.  They have heaps of good qualities.

• Like 1