Sign in to follow this  
rep1

Bohol: ferry reservation? tour package?

rep1

Anyone knows whether reservation on ferries to/from Bohol would be required on Chinese New Year? It's not local celebration but still there will be 3 days holidays - Sat-Sun-New Year holiday.

I'm planning to visit Bohol for 2 days: one from Tubigon down and the other from Tagbilaran up, since there is nowhere to go inside Cebu - unless you guys know somewhere, but no Mango (with my mom!).

Also is the one-day tour packages on travel agency website worth it? They seem way overpriced compared to local driver+guide (P2000 per person vs P2000 for a car/group)

Enuff

I usually book my fast boat with asia travel  https://www.asiatravel.com/en-us/promotions/philippines/supercat.html (make sure you check your spam for their initial reply)

Once in Alona beach there will be roughly 100+ people trying to sell you tours............ negotiate, negotiate, negotiate.

If you mom is halfway adventurous you might want to do the countryside tour: Sagbayan, Tarsier, Man Made Forest, Chocolate Hills & Floating Restaurant. (although she probably wont want to walk up 1000 steps to Chocolate Hills)

Another decent day would be Bohol Bee Farm Resort (excellent organic food and some shopping), Hinagdanan Cave, check out the Bohol Churches and check out the beaches. Not much but for older lady it should suit her fancy.

I haven't been to Alona in a couple years but we enjoyed staying at Lost Horizon Beach Dive Resort Annex. Its not on the beach but near the main road and easy walk to anywhere. Plus Alona has some decent meal options.

Edited by bigmook
  • Like 4

Kabisay-an gid

Your mother definitely wouldn't want to miss the Loboc River floating restaurant cruise, the Loboc Children's Choir, the Tarsier sanctuary, and the Bee Farm. I would say those are a must for her to see.

• Like 2

rep1

How about Pamilacan Island in the south? It's very close but doesn't seem to fit with all other tourist sites. I plan two days, but only 4.5 hours for each day thanks to the stupid 45 minutes ferry check-in time... There are actually tour packages which can go through all sites within that time, I wonder how...

Enuff

I didnt recommend anything involving a boat because I don't know your mothers physical shape.

Outside of the fast ferries there aren't many docks. To me walking 20m into the water isn't something an elderly lady would be up for.

• Like 1

ckfm

We always go to pier 1 and buy our tickets in advance. Buy sunstar newspaper and they have ads with all the ferries and often prices and specials. No need to book  a tour in advance, there will be so many tour operators when you arrive in Bohol offering their service. Do you have a budget on hotels or a specific preference? I think asia travel has good prices. Go to Trudies for food once you are there and check out some of the restaurants owned by Germans. Bee farm is good, they also have a restaurant in Tagbilaran mall. Cebu beach club has the worst food, avoid. I usually check tripadvisor for reviews on places and food. Last time we went to Lost Horizon Annex which is 5 min away from the beach but if you bring your mom, just go for Lost Horizon directly which is on the beach. There are others too, I personallly avoid the upscale resorts, too many idiots.

• Like 1

rep1

Hotel rooms are all booked and we'll sleep inside Cebu city. She wants to go to the Caohagan island for beach on another day but it's probably not good as it'd take a boat and there seems nothing nearby. Maybe 3 days in Bohol if there is nothing to see on Mactan.

BTW why are there very few ships for Tubigon? Isn't it much closer to Cebu and the fare is cheaper?

Edited by aqd

Headshot

BTW why are there very few ships for Tubigon? Isn't it much closer to Cebu and the fare is cheaper?

Well, unless Tubigon is your final destination, you will definitely need to take a vehicle with you. There is really no public transport from that pier to anyplace else on the island. From Tagbilaran pier, you can go anyplace.

rep1

But they still have taxi and guides there? Or just nothing? not for tourists? (we'll hire a car+guide as recommended by travel sites)

Headshot

But they still have taxi and guides there? Or just nothing? not for tourists? (we'll hire a car+guide as recommended by travel sites)

They have tricycles...but just for local use. No guides.

If you aren't taking a vehicle, your best bet is to take the jet boat to Tagbilaran. It takes about the same amount of time as the Lite Ferry to Tubigon, and you can catch any kind of transportation you want from Tagbilaran pier.

rep1

all right, no way to save my money it seems..

:shit_stirrer:

mahogany

There are many fast crafts plying the Cebu-Tubigon route; travel time is a bit over an hour. MV StarCraft has 10 trips both ways per day and OceanJet 5 trips both ways per day. The business class ticket is sold for P270, the economy class for P220 per person. Fast ferries to and from Tagbilaran are very much more expensive. Ticket outlets are located outside pier 1.

Upon exiting Tubigon pier you will be greeted by many car and van operators offering their services to tourists. If you want to do your trip by regular means, there are many Ceres buses and V-hires waiting at the market and the new McDonald's outlet. From the pier the tricycles' fare is P10 per person.

Buses and v-hires commute between Talibon via Tubigon to Tagbilaran and vise versa, and to Sagbayan/Carmen (Chocolate Hills). Travel time to either of the mentioned destinations is around 90 minutes, the fare less than P100 per person. It is easy and cheap to travel by that means, but overloaded v-hires could quickly become uncomfortable for an elderly person.

• Like 1

rep1

back! We went there and back by SuperCat, which appears to have better seats than Ocean Jet by the look. Hired a guide and went to all sites in two days except beach and sea tour.

It's too big and we spent more time in the car than actually in the sites.

Environment is great and everything looks better than Cebu. No 4G though. No map for walking by myself

Also Bee farm really sells organic food. :(

BTW where do they hide the giant pearls??