Foreigner, wife and child murdered in Palawan during robbery

i have sat in Metrobank asking about one of my accounts to have some stranger trying to look at the PC screen to see what I had in my account. Also had a customer in a rural bank in Moalboal asking the teller how much I had. it's very lax here.

Did you punch them? Definitely thieves or robbers!

I want to change bank now... Maybe I shouldn't have money in Philippine banks at all.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• oztony

• diverdon

• smokey

• JohnD

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Guys, do you business in the lobby of your bank. Meet there withdraw the money and pay them there. Cameras and security guards, notary and safety deposit boxes makes it easy and your not carrying arou

Without knowing all the facts the whole thing reeks of tragic stupidity , they will kill you for 10k Pesos let alone 5 Million ,   Sounds like a fundamental breakdown in common sense that cost him h

These people? Which people are you talking about? If you get stupid, and carry large amounts of cash around (especially if you tell others), you will likely come to no good...regardless of where you a

batman2525

These people? Which people are you talking about? If you get stupid, and carry large amounts of cash around (especially if you tell others), you will likely come to no good...regardless of where you are in the world..

Your statement is out of line....someone already said that "These People" would have done the same think for 10,000...never mind 5M.

These people? Which people are you talking about? If you get stupid, and carry large amounts of cash around (especially if you tell others), you will likely come to no good...regardless of where you are in the world...or what people you are with.

There are lots of countries in the west where i would not be too concerned with transporting $100,000 in an SUV. I would be careful but would not expect myself my wife and my child to be shot to death for the sake of it.

Similarly i would not expect 58 people to be killed on their way to register a new candidate for office ( Ampatuam massacre) in very many countries in the world, but it happened in the Phils.

There is an undercurrent of lawlessness coupled with barbarism in the Philippines that makes normal behaviour in other countries very dangerous here.

• Like 4
rainymike

Reason we have banks everywhere is that you can't trust anyone when large sums of money are involved. Hell, I don't trust the banks either, but have little choice. Just ask for a manager's check. When you carry large sums of money out of the bank, you need to trust no one - not even the bank teller or the bank guards. True anywhere in the world.

• Like 3
colemanlee

Just yesterday the wife conducted a fairly large exchange, where, in the Managers office of our lcl BPI...on the rare occasion we have to deal in cash, the wife carries the money and myself and the Bil flank her...usually both armed...

• Like 1
JonnyBravo

One of the comments from the page of the article:

I'm French. Jean-Marc is my wife's cousin. We have no word. They just married in France last summer. That's awful...... He has been living there for almost 20 years. He was not a tourist...

You would think he would know the ins and outs of how to conduct money transfers and common sense in the Philippines. I think there is more to this story than meets the eye. I'm no investigator but this looks like an inside job. Why kill the kid too? Because the kid can probably identify the killers.

• Like 3

I think that would be a horrible philosophy for anybody wanting to live in an independent Philippines in modern times.

Tell that to the dead couple in the SUV.

oztony

Well this is one crime that I would like to drop Rody and his team onto , about the best chance of getting a result.

• Like 5
Mandingo

I'm no investigator but this looks like an inside job. Why kill the kid too? Because the kid can probably identify the killers.

Sad that you are probably correct.

I did a search on the internet of this story and apparently they had a driver who is missing. He could also be dead but more likely he is out spending the money.

In many cases where a crime is committed against a foreigner it was someone they knew who either did it or tipped off others so be very careful on who is your driver, maid, etc.

• Like 6
  • Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

In many cases where a crime is committed against a foreigner it was someone they knew who either did it or tipped off others so be very careful on who is your driver, maid, etc.

One reason why these days I have the grand total of one domestic employee...

• Like 1

I had to transport 1.2 mil peso from one bank in cebu city to a bank in talisay

I had an off duty (not in uniform) armed police officer as a security guard 

Today I would try to do it some other way, managers check or what ever

Could you list that other site...

The amount and use was with the post the asawa found that alerted us to the robbery. I think she found it on facebook.

• Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

I had to transport 1.2 mil peso from one bank in cebu city to a bank in talisay

I had an off duty (not in uniform) armed police officer as a security guard 

Today I would try to do it some other way, managers check or what ever

FYI a domestic TT (wire transfer) costs 200 pesos...

At my bank anyway.

• Like 2