Foreigner, wife and child murdered in Palawan during robbery

dnl_grout

Reminds me off that other guy just in this last year, same thing walked out of the bank with a pile of cash for property payment.

Plenty people knew he was going to do it and that he was going there to do it now today.The bank manage tried to talk him in to a bank check but he refused multiple times. Did not make it in two a vehicle just a few hundred feel from the bank, and got knocked around. 

I have moved large and larger pills of cash for myself and others for a fee in the past. The basics are if some one knows that its me doing the holding no matter when it is I bail and refuse the job. If know one knows it would have to be some of the wall thing happen.

Hell I even hired a super hot chick one time, as she walked in front of me in and out of airports I only had to look for anyone not looking at her...Smile. But thats all old history now, Im a has bin, a nobody already.

• Like 1
  • Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• oztony

• diverdon

• smokey

• JohnD

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Guys, do you business in the lobby of your bank. Meet there withdraw the money and pay them there. Cameras and security guards, notary and safety deposit boxes makes it easy and your not carrying arou

Without knowing all the facts the whole thing reeks of tragic stupidity , they will kill you for 10k Pesos let alone 5 Million ,   Sounds like a fundamental breakdown in common sense that cost him h

These people? Which people are you talking about? If you get stupid, and carry large amounts of cash around (especially if you tell others), you will likely come to no good...regardless of where you a

Headshot

So it was the victim's fault. They have a name for such thinking, you know...

You've been in the Philippines too long, to simply accept such things and make excuses for them, all which blame the victim...

Anybody can protect themselves from this kind of crime with a little forethought. Either do your business in the bank, or get a manager's check. Either way, it takes away the temptation for anybody to rob and kill you. Obviously, nobody intentionally sets themselves and their family to be robbed and killed, but people unintentionally set themselves up all the time...simply because they put no thought into the process. It makes no difference what country you are in. If you carry large amounts of cash around without adequate security, then you are exponentially increasing your risk. Personally, I wouldn't do that in a small town in Kansas any more than I would do it in Cebu.

Or don't you think such things happen in the US? It doesn't justify the robbery/murders (they were still cold-blooded), but opening yourself and your family up to additional risk is inexcusable. There are cold-blooded people everywhere. You have to take steps to protect yourself and your family from them.

• Like 7

Who are "these" people? I am going to post this quote once more on this forum.

If you plan to stay here for a length of time, build a house or create a business please take note of this quote from Miguel Lopez de Legazpi who lead the Spanish expedition after Magellan and founded Manila. I keep a copy of this on my desk.

"Face to face, they agree to anything-never saying no to any proposal. The moment they turn their backs, however, they never keep a promise nor have they any concept of honesty or sincerity. Accordingly it will be difficult to make durable arrangements with them on the basis of friendship, rather then through coercion and fear".

• Like 6

Who are "these" people? I am going to post this quote once more on this forum.

If you plan to stay here for a length of time, build a house or create a business please take note of this quote from Miguel Lopez de Legazpi who lead the Spanish expedition after Magellan and founded Manila. I keep a copy of this on my desk.

"Face to face, they agree to anything-never saying no to any proposal. The moment they turn their backs, however, they never keep a promise nor have they any concept of honesty or sincerity. Accordingly it will be difficult to make durable arrangements with them on the basis of friendship, rather then through coercion and fear".

And I have the first EP released in Japan by the American punk rock band Zebrahead on my desk!

• Like 3

=These people will not be honest and submissive to us that exploit their land, people and resources Although we use threats and violence against them!

• Like 3

It just goes to show once again you cannot trust these people. Also do not tell anyone you are going to collect money.

Some years ago, I transported quite a bit of money for a friend, from a bank in Cebu City, to another location in Lapu-Lapu City. (He did not trust armored cars, only close friends.) The ONLY person we spoke with to schedule this, was the manager of the originating bank. We walked in, otherwise unscheduled, filled a backpack up with 1,000 and 500 Piso notes, and left. We did not even take a "typical" route, which would have been the shortest, to the destination. (Staff inside the bank certainly could have rang / sent messages to some buddies and had them waiting for us along the route.) 

So, most definitely, NEVER tell anyone who absolutely does not need to know, that you are going to pick up a large amount of cash. In this case, we wanted to make sure the bank had enough cash on hand for us to fetch. 

• Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

I see people walking with large stacks of cash every day here. They are rather obvious, they are the ones walking into the bank with paper bags folded around the shape of money stacks. 

I've transported rather large sums of cash here. What I wouldn't do is 'meet' someone in the middle of nowhere with large sums of cash, certainly not with anyone knowing that but me. 

I don't see the advantage of bringing cash to the middle of nowhere to buy land. You'll want notorized documents etc. Land deals really shouldn't take place in the car. 

Phew , for a moment there I read that as PNP branch........

They do transactions out the back too.

• Administrator
Salty Dog

From another site, he was apparently picking up 5M pesos to buy some property. Not a wise thing to do, especially when people know you are doing it...

Could you list that other site...

Headshot

it will be difficult to make durable arrangements with them on the basis of friendship, rather then through coercion and fear".

So...since you find this quote so valuable, do I take it that you endorse coercion and fear rather than friendship when dealing with Filipinos?

Legazpi was a conqueror who had no intention of creating friends in the Philippines. He saw the people of the Philippines as heathens to be subjugated and/or enslaved (as well as "converted" to Christianity to make them more docile). The Spanish Inquisition was still in full swing during that time, and the Spanish were not known for their polite social skills when dealing with people who didn't believe as they did. I think that would be a horrible philosophy for anybody wanting to live in an independent Philippines in modern times.

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 1

I really do not know the whole story and if the guy transported cash in the first place.. But who would in the first place carry that amount around anyway. Any deal (purchase of real estate or bigger amount deals) is surely done only in the bank. We did a few deals and this was only in the bank - no cash just transfer of funds (if the other party wants to carry or bring cash,  thats up to them) - but I would always do it in the bank (with escrow - as you have always the dilemma of who is giving the funds first or the title... with escrow no problems and it is safe).

I read about and hear such stories all the time...how can this still happen???

I could of put it down my pants but then John Holms would of been jealous

I doubt it.... he died 20 odd years ago ..... :yahoo:

• Like 1

It just goes to show once again you cannot trust these people. Also do not tell anyone you are going to collect money.

Buying land give them a check or as James said take them to the bank.

Whoever did this it was not the first time. It takes a really cold blooded person to kill a family.

I agree 1000%. I met 2 honest people in that country in over five years. Every time I tried to do business, I was either robbed or over-charged massively,EVERY TIME, except twice.In 5 years. I had to resort to having my wife and her family conduct business in my behalf. SO, when you talk about 'these people'? I know exactly who you mean...FILIPINO's. They are not despised everywhere in South East Asia for nothing.

Its funny though, they try pulling scams that people used to try elsewhere 30 years ago and they think they are slick,LOL !!! 
Edited by Paul
Please post your reply outside the quoted text. Otherwise, it appears as though all text, including your reply, was written by the other member.

Whoever did this it was not the first time. It takes a really cold blooded person to kill a family.

Not to mention, $104,000 USD gives a lot of people, a lot of reasons to do horrible things to others. 

Mandingo

Phew , for a moment there I read that as PNP branch........ :)

I am sure they'd do it too LOL

i have sat in Metrobank asking about one of my accounts to have some stranger trying to look at the PC screen to see what I had in my account. Also had a customer in a rural bank in Moalboal asking the teller how much I had. it's very lax here. 

i read this earlier which indicates that they were tied and shot.

Palawan is no longer a paradise. Our friend Jean Marc Roger Messina (aka Giovanni) his wife and baby were all murdered this week: hands tied and all shot in the head in Narra (execution style).

Giovanni was a bit controversial in his stance and methods to protect the coral reefs in Palawan. He was always combating dynamite and cyanide traders and politicians involved in this. His big love for Palawans coral reefs probably led to his his death (not confirmed and other theories are out there). And whatever will be the reason the police states, no family deserves this.

I wish I was able to say that we will continue his struggle but we are also experiencing plenty of issues and are no longer sure about our own future here.

Who will be next??

Edited by hyaku
  • Like 3