Civil Marriage In Cebu

Just wanted to see if anyone here on the forum had some tips on a civil wedding in Cebu. How long did it take? Paperwork? Costs? Where you had the ceremony?

I have the all the requirements so just looking to see what your experience was like.

Cheers

jtmwatchbiz

I have the all the requirements so just looking to see what your experience was like.

simple...make an appointment with a judge at the govt. building at capitol site on escario st. and it can be done lickety split in his office.

• Like 1
shadow

Just wanted to see if anyone here on the forum had some tips on a civil wedding in Cebu. How long did it take? Paperwork? Costs? Where you had the ceremony?

Cheers

Sorry, I can't answer your query as applies to Cebu, but your post made me curious.

Question; are you being made to comply with the new requirements to supply proof of financial capability and proof of good moral character? If so, what did you do to meet those requirements?

USMC-Retired

Read it all three times. Also read every page no such thing as carbon paper or printed via computer. Good old fashion Remington. As to you question 10 day wait then very fast. Little grease may get it done faster however I do not recommend it.

• Like 3
shadow

Read it all three times. Also read every page no such thing as carbon paper or printed via computer. Good old fashion Remington. As to you question 10 day wait then very fast. Little grease may get it done faster however I do not recommend it.

USMC is right, make sure everything is perfect before it gets turned in to the LCR. One tiny spelling error can cost you thousands of pesos and many months of frustration.

• Like 1
Headshot

Cheers

There is no difference in the civil paperwork between a civil marriage and a church marriage (but there are additional steps on the church side for a church wedding). I know one couple that completed the entire civil process in one week, but that is really the exception, and I would be willing to lay odds that they had a lot of connections in the agencies they had to work with in the process (or they used a fixer who greased the skids for them). The application is supposed to be posted for ten business days in the middle of the process (so you would need some help to get past that requirement). It took us six weeks to get through the entire process, with new steps being added by bureaucrats at every stop. I think if you have several copies of every document known to man (and didn't miss any) going into the process, you can probably get through the process fairly quickly. That said, there are a LOT of (mostly unnecessary) steps to their process, so you are continually bouncing back and forth between offices. Offices are not always open when they should be, so you end up doing a lot of back-tracking. Any missing documents will slow down the process.

I can't give a direct answer to the cost question. There were several occasions when a fee was charged (either to the cashier or directly to the bureaucrat). Even though we were getting married in the Cebu Cathedral four months later, we had a civil ceremony at the Minglanilla courthouse (by the judge there in his chambers), and I slipped the judge an envelope with a thousand peso note in it. There was no set fee given, and I suppose you might get away with less, but since he was willing to take a half-hour of his time to perform the ceremony, I was fine with giving him $20. BTW...read, reread and reread again ALL COPIES of the marriage certificate. If there are any discrepancies on any of the copies, it will come back to haunt you big time later on. Especially check to make sure that all names are correctly spelled and in the right order, and make sure that all dates are correct. Any mistakes will have to be fixed, and it will cost you big-time in both time and money.

• Like 2
RogerDuMond

It has been 23 years, so I can't comment on the process because it is so different now. As to the last question, we had a "garden" wedding at my brother-in-laws house. We were married by my wife's cousin who was the mayor at that time. We couldn't get married in the church, because I didn't have a church annulment at that time.

Edited by RogerDuMond
Buko Beach

I got married in a civil ceremony back in 2012 in Cebu. The Pastor provided a form for me to fill out and one for my girlfriend to fill out. He also asked for copies of all the documents we filed (and were provided with) at Cebu City Health. The Pastor (most likely one of his assistants) typed up the marriage certificate based on the info we provided.

Make sure to go over all the info with a fine-tooth comb. Check and re-check that all the info on the marriage certificate is typed and spelled properly. I noticed a typo and I refused to sign the marriage certificate on the day of our wedding.

DO NOT LISTEN TO ANYONE (her family, the pastor, ect) WHO TELLS YOU THAT IT'S NORMAL AND TO GO AHEAD AND SIGN THE CERTIFICATE AS-IS!

The Pastor had another certificate typed up the next day. I looked it over very carefully again and all seemed ok. My wife and I signed and everything was ok, or so we thought.

My wife had to send the form to Manila for them to scan into their system, but there was a problem. The typewriter the Pastor used had an old ribbon (typical!), so the printing was not so dark on the form, and when the fine folks in Manila tried to scan and upload it into the system, some of the words were unclear, so they rejected the certificate and we had to get the Pastor to re-do everything and issue us a third form.

The third certificate was accepted and everything went smooth after that, but it took a couple of months of back-and-forth with Manila before we could get the NSO certified true copy.

• Like 3

Sorry, I can't answer your query as applies to Cebu, but your post made me curious.

Question; are you being made to comply with the new requirements to supply proof of financial capability and proof of good moral character? If so, what did you do to meet those requirements?

I didn't see that in the documentation that we recived from city hall. No mention of it.
Buko Beach

I didn't see that in the documentation that we recived from city hall. No mention of it.

Unless things have changed recently (which is entirely possible) you would need to deal with Cebu City Health, not city hall.

One of the requirements was to supply proof of financial capacity. I just included a photocopy of an online trading account that contained the balances of cash and stocks in that portfolio. Simple and easy. They just want to make sure you have SOME savings which IMO is a prudent thing to do.

I also had to include an NBI clearance that checked to see if I had any criminal charges against me within the Philippines. This was the standard proof of good moral character.

• Like 2

Yes I remember now it was Mandaue City Health. My fiance went.

Edited by Bassix

Here are the docs. We are actually going to be getting married in Mandaue City.

870dcaba10a224d31eafd736f4184ca7.jpg

552989901c70319d4c75631263bb7103.jpg

75f093994bcfed53c293a5d86d87ec4c.jpg