American Bases in the Philippines

colemanlee

That said..WTF have the Philippines ever done for the U.K??

Provided lots of entertainment?  :yahoo:

obviously you have not spent much time in the nite life areas of cebu city lately.  there are plenty of USA military freely whooping it up here already.  perhaps they are just not as wet behind the ears as the ones landing in luzon.   

Lots of the guys stationed in the south come to Cebu for fun...but indeed, most are very well seasoned...and know how to keep their cool

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
Soupeod

So what is everyone thoughts in here on american bases opening back up in the Philippines? People in the other forums think it's a bad idea all the way around. It cost too much for the american tax payer all the way to prostitution and woman abuse. From what I know, we are not looking to make any permanent bases but rather temporary bases. Everything is subject to change of course depending on world events and economics. IDK is it really such a bad idea?

There are no American bases opening up in the Philippines, those are Philippine bases where USA will be stationed according to Philippine law.

Edited by soupeod
  • Like 1
Headshot

There are no American bases opening up in the Philippines, those are Philippine bases where USA will be stationed according to Philippine law.

Exactly. The US will be building facilities on Philippine military bases for use by US military. However, the bases will continue to be owned (and guarded) by the Philippine military. If the US decides to pull out of those bases in the future for any reason, then the facilities they build will be owned by the Philippines.

• Like 1
smokey

So what is everyone thoughts in here on american bases opening back up in the Philippines? People in the other forums think it's a bad idea all the way around. It cost too much for the american tax payer all the way to prostitution and woman abuse. From what I know, we are not looking to make any permanent bases but rather temporary bases. Everything is subject to change of course depending on world events and economics. IDK is it really such a bad idea?

wasnt the bases in japan and Germany after WW2 temporary

USMC-Retired

wasnt the bases in japan and Germany after WW2 temporary

I know in Japan the Japanese Government builds the housing units for the US military.

JonnyBravo

Exactly. The US will be building facilities on Philippine military bases for use by US military. However, the bases will continue to be owned (and guarded) by the Philippine military. If the US decides to pull out of those bases in the future for any reason, then the facilities they build will be owned by the Philippines.

Well I wasn't looking at the "technicality" of the term "American Bases." I simply meant bases that americans will be operating from. To be honest, it goes without saying that we will be building facilities built by the lowest bidder. Sometimes we even give fighter aircraft as "gifts" to the host nation. I seriously doubt we will let the filipinos (as honest as they may be) guard US military assets. At least I've never seen it in other nations. Another thing, I don't see this becoming a joint nation base. Meaning filipinos or UK or Aus operating out of the bases that americans will be operating from (at least not under normal ops). I could be mistaking here but that's just the impression I have of it. 

In my humble opinion it is a waste of time and money. Money the Philippines is sure to welcome Uncle Sugar.

colemanlee

Its just a little expansion...no big deal....gives the US a place to refuel...resupply, preposition, and not much more...and though its not well publicized we have been using the port at Subic, the airfield at Clark and some of the Philippine bases in the south for years...next time you fly to Gensan, take a look at the plaque right before you walk into the terminal ....

JonnyBravo

Its just a little expansion...no big deal....gives the US a place to refuel...resupply, preposition, and not much more...and though its not well publicized we have been using the port at Subic, the airfield at Clark and some of the Philippine bases in the south for years...next time you fly to Gensan, take a look at the plaque right before you walk into the terminal ....

Funny you mention it, cause I was thinking it. If you're aware of it or not we still use Mactan too. 

colemanlee

Funny you mention it, cause I was thinking it. If you're aware of it or not we still use Mactan too. 

No I wasn't except for the Yolanda relief stuff...When there was a fairly large presence there..interesting note..had this guy anchored up in the Tacloban Bay for a while...I think the closest he could get in was a few miles off the coast..

post-16622-0-15028800-1454289724_thumb.jpg

• Like 2
Headshot

There isn't much left of the base at Mactan, since the new civilian terminal is encroaching on part of what was the flight-line part of the base. They never should have allowed construction on the other side of the base (what is now MEPZ 2). It would have given then room for base expansion, and would have allowed for a second runway (where the taxiway is now) and new taxiway (closer to the terminals). As it is now, there really isn't room for the base or the needed airport expansion (although there is a lot more to the base than meets the eye...not much of it actually fronts the ramp and runway).

http://wikimapia.org/#lang=en&lat=10.309684&lon=123.966980&z=15&m=b

Edited by Headshot
smokey

come on there is no problem that cant be solved with a few more billion dollars maybe they can close a few VA hospitals to free up needed money to add the small number of bases outside of the usa now I heard there are only 135 official bases and a few that are leased so they are not official bases