American Bases in the Philippines

JonnyBravo

So what is everyone thoughts in here on american bases opening back up in the Philippines? People in the other forums think it's a bad idea all the way around. It cost too much for the american tax payer all the way to prostitution and woman abuse. From what I know, we are not looking to make any permanent bases but rather temporary bases. Everything is subject to change of course depending on world events and economics. IDK is it really such a bad idea?

In Cebu it would, as previously mentioned, be a small base and the impact would be small. This will not be Subic or Clark.

• Like 1

So what is everyone thoughts in here on american bases opening back up in the Philippines? People in the other forums think it's a bad idea all the way around. It cost too much for the american tax payer all the way to prostitution and woman abuse. From what I know, we are not looking to make any permanent bases but rather temporary bases. Everything is subject to change of course depending on world events and economics. IDK is it really such a bad idea?

I believe that the relationship between the USA and the PR is an important part of the free world alliance in the Pacific. This free world alliance that began with the liberation of the Philippines by MacArthur in 1944 has lead to more freedom, more prosperity and more peace than at any time in the history of the Pacific region. So I favor the decision to allow the United States to build facilities for repair for US vessels. This protects the Philippines from Chinese intimidation and gives the US more options in deterring any possible Chinese aggression. As has been observed by others, these facilities will be nothing like the large bases in the Clark and Subic era. Thanks for reading. 

• Like 4
AussieLex

This protects the Philippines from Chinese intimidation and gives the US more options in deterring any possible Chinese aggression.

This made me smile ... the Chinese will do exactly as they want to do, just like they have been doing for many years ... given its current economic state the US really isn't much of a deterrent ...

• Like 2
Nangulo

The bases will mostly be used for pre-positioning supplies and stuff..  Few personnel.  Ships not permanently based here.  But, from the Lance Corporal Smith incident and the Pemberton incident, I can't see a lot of unrestricted liberty for those who come here - lot's of internal restrictions for the visiting troops.

• Like 4
rainymike

For me the issue is more about what is the underlying domestic and foreign policy driving this? And whether or not this is the best option for resolving the many political issues in the area.

One of the more forward thinking actions in the area has been the move to more fully implement ASEAN. The Spratley dispute is not one solely between China and the Philippines - it also involves Brunei, Malaysia, Vietnam and Taiwan. Military bases and confrontation represent old cold war tactics. An alternative might be to explore joint/shared use of the region. Just my opinion but I think Cold War tactics and the UN are relics from my generation that probably do not offer the best solutions to today's disputes. I mean, none of these ASEAN countries could develop this region alone. LOL ... China even partnered with a US oil company to explore the region for fossil fuels not all that long ago. Work out a partnership people, develop and explore the region and stop putting warships up your asses while your people go hungry.

Although more stable today than say in the 1960's, the countries in this region are still developing. In my opinion, the Philippines trails the pack at doing this. Another opinion of mine, these countries need to pay attention to their domestic problems as a first priority. I'd rather see money going to build schools and highways and improving ports and airports and hospitals ... etc etc etc than military bases. Improve your ports fine, but do it with a first priority to resolve your current port problems. If the ports/airports can accommodate foreign vessels or aircraft- military or civilian, do it on an open basis. Screw the stupid treaties that place the country on one side or the other. Charge a terminal fee ... lol ... bet you a lot of these military guys will be carrying bullets ... kaching!!

If America wants to play here, dump the cold war attitude. Focus on ASEAN and the alternatives that it can offer. Don't try to be the policeman or the solution to the problem, be a facilitator and partner to all. There's a lot of economic action for the US to take part in. More profitable than guns. Wise up ... look at China's real game. They now have an Asian Development Bank (vs. the World Bank) that will support infrastructure development in the region. The bastards will lend US dollars to everyone because their regular US reserves sitting in China don't make enough profit. So what does the US do? Tries to convince everyone not to join. What happened? Most Asian nations joined (including the Phils) and the European nations followed suit. (I think the Asian nations like the China option because the World Bank puts up too many weird ass rules).

Anyway just my opinion. In the global context of things, I think America could be doing better things. The Philippines definitely needs to do better things. If the goal is to push peace in the region, I think there are better ways to do it than with more military bases (no matter how benign everyone claim they might be). It still takes dollars and good will, I'd rather see the dollars and goodwill spent where its needed and where it will make a difference.

• Like 5
smokey

i think its just what they need to add yet another base so if the military is busy in Korea, Japan, Thailand and Guam there will still be people here ,,  i think the usa has enough bases in asia what they need is to close the border to illegals from mexico and take all that extra billions and give free medical to all americans 

• Like 5

This made me smile ... the Chinese will do exactly as they want to do, just like they have been doing for many years ... given its current economic state the US really isn't much of a deterrent ...

AussieLex, I'm sorry you don't believe that the US isn't still a major deterrent to aggression , but I'm always pleased when I can make someone smile :) Take care

• Like 3
Soupeod

Their economic state is bad ...currently.

AussieLex

I'm sorry you don't believe that the US isn't still a major deterrent to aggression

Don't be sorry ... I have my opinion just as you have yours... we really don't need to agree with each other ... 

• Like 1

I'm sorry you don't believe that the US isn't still a major deterrent to aggression ,

Aggression isn't necessarily an American problem. Justice is costly, better to side with whoever wins regional conflicts and profit from them.

But my country will die if you do that....

Looks like the UK has also just signed this defense agreement with the R.P.... WTF???

Ghurka knives in the Spatleys??

Edited by fred42
colemanlee

Looks like the UK has also just signed this defense agreement with the R.P.... WTF???

Ghurka knives in the Spatleys??

You guys still got something to defend with?   :yahoo:

You guys still got something to defend with?   :yahoo:

I`d say that if the UK sends Brit military, it will be paid for by the American tax payer.. So you bet we have!! :db:

That said..WTF have the Philippines ever done for the U.K??

• Like 2
jtmwatchbiz

I can't see a lot of unrestricted liberty for those who come here - lot's of internal restrictions for the visiting troops.

obviously you have not spent much time in the nite life areas of cebu city lately.  there are plenty of USA military freely whooping it up here already.  perhaps they are just not as wet behind the ears as the ones landing in luzon.   

• Like 1