Sign in to follow this  
Boss Ross

replacement motherboard

Boss Ross

Hello All,

The motherboard in my desktop is broken and I can not find a replacement. The broken one is a ASRock N68C-GS FX. Apparently these are no longer available here in the PI. I can find a N68C-GS4 FX. Can anyone tell me if that is the replacement for my old board OR what board in any brand will replace my broken board?

Thanks,

Ross

Paul

Hello All,

The motherboard in my desktop is broken and I can not find a replacement. The broken one is a ASRock N68C-GS FX. Apparently these are no longer available here in the PI. I can find a N68C-GS4 FX. Can anyone tell me if that is the replacement for my old board OR what board in any brand will replace my broken board?

Thanks,

Ross

I take it you wish to remove your processor and RAM from your current board, and plug them into the new board? If so, the new board appears to be compatible.

N68C-GS FX

Supports AM3+ Processor

Supports Dual Channel DDR3 1600 / DDR2 1066
Integrated NVIDIA® GeForce 7025 graphics, DX9.0 VGA, Pixel Shader 3.0
Gigabit LAN 10/100/1000 Mb/s
5.1 CH HD Audio (VIA® VT1705 Audio Codec)
Supports ASRock XFast RAM, XFast LAN, XFast USB Technologies
Supports ASRock Instant Boot, Instant Flash, OC DNA, APP Charger
Free Bundle : CyberLink MediaEspresso 6.5 Trial, Google Chrome Browser and Toolbar

N68C-GS4 FX

A-Style : Home Cloud

Supports AM3+ Processor
Supports Dual Channel DDR3 1600/DDR2 1066
Integrated NVIDIA® GeForce 7025 graphics, DX9.0 VGA, Pixel Shader 3.0
5.1 CH HD Audio (Realtek ALC662 Audio Codec)
Supports ASRock XFast USB, XFast LAN, XFast RAM
Supports ASRock Instant Boot, Instant Flash, OC DNA, APP Charger
  • Like 1

Boss Ross

I take it you wish to remove your processor and RAM from your current board, and plug them into the new board? If so, the new board appears to be compatible.

Thanks for the fast reply Paul!! :-) Yes, all the other components are nearly new so I want to reuse them.

I have read the two descriptions and feel they are a match. Just to be sure, are you saying you believe the GS4 will work to replace the GS?

Thanks,

Ross 

miles-high

You could get more info here http://www.asrock.com/mb/index.asp. Basically, if your Intel or AMD socket, I/O socket/speed, RAM socket/speed and the chassis form factor match, it will work… The same chipset would be desirable but not necessary. If there are built-in LAN, USB, Audio, etc. make sure you buy a comparably equipped MB...

Boss Ross

You could get more info here http://www.asrock.com/mb/index.asp. Basically, if your Intel or AMD socket, I/O socket/speed, RAM socket/speed and the chassis form factor match, it will work… The same chipset would be desirable but not necessary. If there are built-in LAN, USB, Audio, etc. make sure you buy a comparably equipped MB...

You said "make sure you buy a comparably equipped MB..." which does nothing to answer my question - does the GS4 replace the GS.

philuk

http://www.asrock.com/mb/NVIDIA/N68C-GS%20FX/?cat=Manual

http://www.asrock.com/mb/NVIDIA/N68C-GS4%20FX/?cat=Manual

these are the links to the manuals for both motherboards

I am work at the moment so cant download them to take a look at any compatibility issues, but as long as the ram is the same and the CPU sockets are the same there should be no problem, with the rest of it

1. Supports AM3+ Processor
  2. Supports Dual Channel DDR3 1600 / DDR2 1066
  3. Integrated NVIDIA® GeForce 7025 graphics, DX9.0 VGA, Pixel Shader 3.0
  4. Gigabit LAN 10/100/1000 Mb/s
  5. 5.1 CH HD Audio (VIA® VT1705 Audio Codec)
  6. Supports ASRock XFast RAM, XFast LAN, XFast USB Technologies
  7. Supports ASRock Instant Boot, Instant Flash, OC DNA, APP Charger
  1. A-Style : Home Cloud
  2. Supports AM3+ Processor
  3. Supports Dual Channel DDR3 1600/DDR2 1066
  4. Integrated NVIDIA® GeForce 7025 graphics, DX9.0 VGA, Pixel Shader 3.0
  5. 5.1 CH HD Audio (Realtek ALC662 Audio Codec)
  6. Supports ASRock XFast USB, XFast LAN, XFast RAM
  7. Supports ASRock Instant Boot, Instant Flash, OC DNA, APP Charger

but comparing the specs I would say no problems

Paul

I have read the two descriptions and feel they are a match. Just to be sure, are you saying you believe the GS4 will work to replace the GS?

but comparing the specs I would say no problems

I was saying the same thing Phil said, Ross. Yes, both motherboards will handle the same components.

Woolf

I noticed that the audio component my not be the same   

may need other drivers

philuk

I noticed that the audio component my not be the same   

may need other drivers

if the MB is new out of the box, all the drivers needed should be on a disc in the box, should also have a hard copy of the manual and a few leads too, normally sata cables and maybe even a front panel conector

Woolf

if the MB is new out of the box, all the drivers needed should be on a disc in the box, should also have a hard copy of the manual and a few leads too, normally sata cables and maybe even a front panel conector

YES

What I was trying to indicate is

Just dropping in the new motherboard with the cpu and ram transfered over

Starting up the computer 

the operating system on the HD  may need some adjustments

that is if you do not do a clean new install

Edited by Woolf

philuk

YES

What I was trying to indicate is

Just dropping in the new motherboard with the cpu and ram transfered over

Starting up the computer 

the operating system on the HD  may need some adjustments

that is if you do not do a clean new install

sorry, thought you were referring to the audio drivers ???  not the OS,

there is a possibility the OS will boot as the MB will most likely have the same chipset as the original MB,

If it boots up ok windows will just auto update all the drivers anyways

miles-high

You said "make sure you buy a comparably equipped MB..." which does nothing to answer my question - does the GS4 replace the GS.

I am merely suggesting that if the CPU matches the socket, memories fit the socket and meet the speed requirements and the board fits into your case, any MB would be acceptable. Just look at your old MB and see if there are any built-in components, e.g., LAN, Audio, Video, USB, etc. and you probably want the same features on your new MB. If those are not installed, look at your I/O board(s) and match the sockets/speed. If you can do that, any MB is OK, I am suggesting you a broader choices for your replacement MB, not just the direct replacement...

SkyMan

I would take the old board/components over to Interpace and see what they can do.  I had an i7 board go bad and unfortunately that particular i7 was a different socket than the current standard and I couldn't find an appropriate replacement board.

• Like 1

Paul

Ross, what did you go with? The board you originally queried?