profits101

I'm an artist and part of what I do makes use of soft woods that can be chain-saw carved. Here in the USA, what really works well is California Redwood, followed by cedar, and then last choice most pines. Redwood is by far the best given the minimum grain and knots, and also here it is well-dried. Last time I was in Cebu I went to look at Central Lumber in the Topilo area... but they were closed for lunch. What do you think? Can I find this type of soft wood, or something close to it over there? I am also thinking there is probably zero kiln-dried wood so I will probably have to be more careful about putting it together to prevent separations... Thanks for any input you have relative to this type of wood, and wood supply in the Cebu City area...

RogerDuMond

I'm an artist and part of what I do makes use of soft woods that can be chain-saw carved.

Just a warning here. Are you aware that it is illegal to import, buy, sell, or possess a chainsaw in the Philippines without a permit?

http://www.denr.gov.ph/policy/2003/dao2003-24.pdf

• Like 4
profits101

Whew, Thank you for that information! Although I didn't get into Central Lumber, I did go over to Belmont Depot in Mandaue - a really good commercial level tool store. They carry Sthil chainsaws. They were very helpful with all my questions - and I'll learn more about what you have advised me about.

Again FWIW, here's a link to Belmont:  http://www.belmontdepot.com

profits101

Also... here is a little more context on what you mention... 

Chainsaw owners urged to secure permit
by Restituto A. Cayubit
May 18, 2014

Tacloban City, Leyte — The Department of Environment and Natural Resources office in Region VIII (DENR-8) is urging chainsaw owners or holders who have not yet registered and secured permits to do so and avoid penalties.

DENR-8 Regional Executive Director Leonardo Sibbaluca informed reporters that chainsaws, just like firearms, are regulated by law, hence, anybody found possessing and using the tool without permit are liable for criminal prosecution. Likewise, business establishments selling the tool should abide by the law to avoid criminal prosecution, he added.

Sibbaluca pointed out that the Chainsaw Act, or Republic Act No. 9175, which was enacted in 2002, regulates the selling, purchase, re-selling, transfer, distribution or possession of a chain saw without a proper permit. Commission of any one of these acts entails penalty of P15,000 to P30,000 and imprisonment of four to six years, he said.

Sibbaluca informed reporters that the same act also discourages unlawful importation and manufacture as well as tampering of the tool’s engine serial number. Penalty for any one of these offenses is either a fine of P1, 000 to P4,000 and imprisonment of one month to six months, he said.

He also told reporters that use of a chainsaw to cut trees or timber on areas not authorized by the DENR would entail penalty of imprisonment of six to eight years or a fine of not less than P30,000 and not more than P50,000 or both at the discretion of the court without prejudice to being prosecuted for a separate offense that may have been simultaneously committed. The chainsaw unlawfully used shall be likewise confiscated in government’s favor, he stressed.

Sibbaluca said his office will facilitate chainsaw registration because of their use in lumber, that is, mostly from coconut trees for housing and rehabilitation from typhoon Yolanda- affected areas. “Although we realize the important use of chainsaws in the production of lumber materials to rehabilitate houses and other infrastructures damaged during Typhoon Yolanda, the DENR assures the public to go through simplified chainsaw registration in the agency’s Community Environment and Natural Resources Offices in the region,” Sibbaluca announced.

Read more at http://www.mb.com.ph/chainsaw-owners-urged-to-secure-permit/#5SsJ8uCE3G4VjbcF.99

So what did you find for softwood?

On the hardwood side Philippine mahogany carves well. I have used it for the neck of a guitar.

to_dave007

Just a warning here. Are you aware that it is illegal to import, buy, sell, or possess a chainsaw in the Philippines without a permit?

wow..  never would have guessed it..  I doubt that the law will do much to protect the forests, or help regenerate them, but at least they tried.  There are some SERIOUS penalties involved for illegal possession of use of a chainsaw..  PLUS they give incentive's for your neighbours to turn you in.

This explains why there are so few guys around with chainsaws

RogerDat

When U apply for the permit, just tell them what it is for, they probably will accommodate. I would contact

MG Machinery supply Cebu 415 9851/ 254 1719 Gullas /Monolilly as they sell AND service what they ell.

The last 2 items I bought from Belmont, they had no parts, or repair facilities in Cebu. It is all done in Manila.

• Like 1
Humboldt

Germelina, technically a hardwood , they export to make matches .. I think it would be suitable for carving

I live in what must be the chainsaw art capital of the world ,, far north coast of California , giant redwood tree's over 2,000 yrs old standing 330 ft 

There are some fantastic chain saw artist in the area , I was able to hire one in the off season to carve me a bigfoot  

out of old growth redwood , only cost me 200 bucks for about 8 hrs of his time .

post-15417-0-80207700-1452748708_thumb.jpg

• Like 2
SkyMan

I wouldn't think it would be too hard to get a permit as they sells chain saws in Belmont and you have a legitimate reason to have one besides illegal cutting.

Germelina, technically a hardwood , they export to make matches
Probably good for carving as it isn't very good for matches.

I was on the DENR Cebu website a week ago and noticed you can apply online for your chainsaw permit for use on private land. The link is on the right hand side of this page.

However, I emailed them at that time about an arboricultural matter and didn't hear back from them, so I can't guarantee they will follow up. Still, you can submit an application online and see how you go.

• Like 1
profits101

hmmm, thanks so much for the continuing stream of good replies here!

Also, I wrote to Belmont to inquire as to what amount of assistance they could offer join this process, and they provided the following helpful and prompt reply. I appreciate the other information about MG Machinery Supply - I see they are located in the vicinity of the Ferry Terminal. I will probably give them a visit too...

Here is the response:

Dear Mr. John Taylor, 

Good day! 

Thank you for visiting belmontdepot.com. 

Here is our process when you buy the chainsaw. 

You visit our store and choose a model. 

We test the chainsaw in your presence. 

Pay to the cashier and receive the receipt and the unit. 

Customer Service will now issue a Purchase Certificate stating the customer's name, 
address, model number and quantity, Chainsaw Serial number. 

What to do after buying the chainsaw from Belmont: 

You will bring the Belmont Purchase Certificate to the nearest DENR office where your place is 
to have your chainsaw registered. 

I am not sure how much is the amount to be paid to DENR now. Before it was P500.00 per unit. 

It is the owner who will process the registration. 

Have a nice day! 

Warm regards,

Luchie Catalan
Cebu Belmont Inc.
Administrative Assistant
Level 2 Belmont Bldg. MC. Briones St. 
Hi-way Mandaue City, Phil. 6014
Phone 63.32.318.7057
Fax      63.32.343.6246
Mobile 0917.638.6657
www.belmontdepot.com
email [email protected]
profits101

I was on the DENR Cebu website a week ago and noticed you can apply online for your chainsaw permit for use on private land. The link is on the right hand side of this page.

However, I emailed them at that time about an arboricultural matter and didn't hear back from them, so I can't guarantee they will follow up. Still, you can submit an application online and see how you go.

Thanks - I just don't know how would you transmit the p500 Fee?