Travel Insurance

Well after years of stalling, I have finally bitten the bullet and booked tickets for the four of us to go to Cebu from Australia for a month from mid July... I booked with Cathay Pacific on line but did not take the travel insurance offered by them. If I want to add it later I am sure I can, can anyone give me some advice regarding travel insurance, what to look out for and who gives good deals, or am I just best of using the one offered by the airline. It was around $500 aud for the four of us, unlimited medical and other bits and bobs... what's best from past experience ????   Cheers.. 

post-3349-0-82707400-1452674935_thumb.jpg

Whatever you do, DO NOT... I repeat DO NOT take out travel insurance with InsureAndGO.

I took out a policy covering nine people last year and it was the worst mistake I ever made. Sure it was cheap but their service is terrible, their response to emergencies is worse and I would't use them if they were the last travel insurer in the world.

It was the first time I moved away from Travel Insurance Direct which I would recommend without hesitation.

If you have a medical condition try sure save(dot com dot au) they are the only travel insurer I have found that covers most pre-existing medical conditions including heart attack and stroke and a friend of mine in Sydney couldn't stop raving about them and he has had bypass surgery and still insured him for his last trip to Europe.  

• Like 1
mikewright

Check out the Commonwealth Bank's Diamond Awards Mastercard  option. If you have a CBA Diamond Awards Mastercard, you get free travel insurance.  It's not automatic, you have to ring them with your trip details, and they then activate the policy.  The cover given by the policy looked pretty good; it's what I'm traveling on.

Yes check your credit card for details as to what is covered. Trip cancellation, trip delay, baggage loss, baggage delay, etc. are usually covered by your credit card.

I use Travel Guard (AIG) it is expensive but has medical evacuation built in ... but this is from the USA ... not sure it will help ...

Thanks for all the replies, Budget Direct looks okay, we don't have a credit card, debit only so that one is out for us..  anyone every made a claim with them and is it a drama to get them to pay up ?? 

Thanks for all the replies, Budget Direct looks okay, we don't have a credit card, debit only so that one is out for us..  anyone every made a claim with them and is it a drama to get them to pay up ?? 

I haven't claimed. Choice gave their comprehensive insurance a rating of 62%. They reviewed 35 products and the top four went down to 64%, so I thought that was a reasonable review.

https://www.choice.com.au/products/travel/money/travel-insurance/budget-direct-comprehensive

https://www.choice.com.au/travel/money/travel-insurance/reviews-and-comparisons/travel-insurance

I didn't spend money on the full report. While I'd already purchased through Budget Direct and only found these links now, you could always get a quote from the higher ranked insurers listed on the link above. Interestingly two appear to be in a lower price range, according to Choice.

Edit: I didn't get comprehensive as I am really only concerned about medical and medical repatriation, self-insuring for most other things. The Choice survey might be a bit high-end if you're in the same category as me there.

Wow, look what I found now: https://www.choice.com.au/travel/money/travel-insurance/reviews-and-comparisons/travel-insurance

Edited by spydoo
  • Like 1
  • 3 months later...

Just went to take out travel insurance for our trip in July and Budget Direct do not cover the Philippines any more ??? 

Just went to take out travel insurance for our trip in July and Budget Direct do not cover the Philippines any more ??? 

My bad,,, yes it does, to early for the brain to be fully awake ....  

mikewright

If you will be travelling more than once in a year, check out QBE's Annual Multi Trip Travel Insurance policy.  Not bad value.

bargeman

Recently booked a trip with insurance, using a UK bank debit card,on line for our family of 3, Cebu - Narita  + hotel through Expedia.com.

Unfortunately, didn't make the trip due to my work schedule delay resulting in arriving home late in Cebu.

When claiming on their insurance, I was told by Expedia that the insurance was not valid because the flight must commence from the country from which the payment was made. (UK).

My reply was "why then did you accept the insurance premium knowing full well that the flight commenced in Cebu and it would be invalid".

Seems they make their money from a good percentage of travelers never making a claim on the insurance and if they do, finding ways not to pay out.

• Like 2