Interpol Clearance for Adoption Proceedings

SumDumJoe

I am an American going through the process of adopting my Filipina wife's two illegitimate children. We have been caring for them for the past ten years. I figure it's time I start to get the tax benefit from them. Just kidding. I want to give them the ability to travel to the U.S. for the greater job opportunities that come with having a blue passport. 

I was told in a briefing today there is a new requirement for foreigners adopting here in the Philippines. I was told I will need to get, on top of barangay, local police and NBI clearance, an Interpol clearance. 

The folks at the briefing were not sure of how I go about getting the Interpol clearance other than to say they think it's available in Cebu.

Does anyone here know anything about getting an Interpol clearance in Cebu? Where to do it, estimated costs and necessary paperwork?

Secondly, have any members here gone through adoption procedures here in the Philippines?

Thanks for any and all information!

• Like 1
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jawny

• SumDumJoe

• to_dave007

• MaKe

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Surprise.. surprise !!   I googled "how to obtain Interpol Clearance" and turned up this Philippine INTERPOL CLEARANCE APPLICATION FORM. Lord knows what effort is required to complete it and get it

I've been through the adoption process. If I recall, there are a variety of posts in the LinC files on the topic. You may find useful info there.   I'm not especially surprised there is some added

You may be able to use the marriage certificate which was filed locally at least to get the ball rolling. The NSO has had instances where the preparation of the official document was nothing more tha

I am an American going through the process of adopting my Filipina wife's two illegitimate children. We have been caring for them for the past ten years. I figure it's time I start to get the tax benefit from them. Just kidding. I want to give them the ability to travel to the U.S. for the greater job opportunities that come with having a blue passport. 

I was told in a briefing today there is a new requirement for foreigners adopting here in the Philippines. I was told I will need to get, on top of barangay, local police and NBI clearance, an Interpol clearance. 

The folks at the briefing were not sure of how I go about getting the Interpol clearance other than to say they think it's available in Cebu.

Does anyone here know anything about getting an Interpol clearance in Cebu? Where to do it, estimated costs and necessary paperwork?

Secondly, have any members here gone through adoption procedures here in the Philippines?

I've been through the adoption process. If I recall, there are a variety of posts in the LinC files on the topic. You may find useful info there.

I'm not especially surprised there is some added requirements. Not sure what usefulness there is (doubt that an Interpol check will make much difference).

There is one thing you will find that may lead to some confusion. Most of the information you get from the USA sources will assume you are a USA resident. That is, the guidance is geared toward a USA resident coming here to adopt. For example, when applying for a tax ID from the IRS, it will be assumed the child entered the USA. This can lead to an endless series of back and forth correspondence trying to get the application for the tax ID past the first layer of bureaucrats.

Additionally, be aware the process here will require a court action and the child(ren) will be represented by the Solicitor General. Not a particular problem, but the SOLGEN is there to protect the interests of the child.

I'm pretty sure the adoption does not result in citizenship for the child. It's not the same has having a child with the wife and you as the biological parents.

The process can take a while, many months, many court hearings. Most are routine as you'd expect, but the way courts schedule dates, each session may have a month or more between.

• Like 3
shadow

Sorry, I don't have any working knowledge of getting interpol Clearance. There are new requirements at least yearly now.

Jawny is right, after the adoption is complete, you will need to get a visa for them to be able to enter the US. Getting the US visa for them can be like adopting them again. They will gain US citizenship upon legally touching US soil, at which time you will file more forms to get their adoption recognized, US passport, etc.. It is a long, slow, process.

You might PM Mactanfamily and Wacobay, they have both been through the adoption process, but are not going to be able to help you on the interpol clearance, as it was not a requirement when they went through it.

to_dave007

Surprise.. surprise !!

I googled "how to obtain Interpol Clearance" and turned up this Philippine INTERPOL CLEARANCE APPLICATION FORM.

Lord knows what effort is required to complete it and get it through the system.

http://www.pctc.gov.ph/papers/INTERPOL%20Clearance%20Application%20Form.pdf

Can't find any instructions on how to complete the form, or how to submit it, or to whom..  But I'm wondering if the people at this office can help: 

Telephone: (632)724-2362, (632)723-0401 to 20, loc 4295 & 4395 Fax: (632)724-8775
   [email protected]
   Philippine Center on Transnational Crime
   2nd Flr, PNP Computer Service Bldg.
   Camp Crame, Quezon City 1111
   Philippines

They seem to administer the Interpol relationship.  BTW.. Philippines has been Interpol member since 1950's.

My GUT FEEL is that you are likely better off going directly to this office to do this rather than trying to do this through any local police force..  I doubt that post local police chiefs have ever seen this form, let alone anyone more junior, so I would think that outside of this office it might be VERY difficult to find anyone who has any idea at all what to do with the form.  But I'm just guessing about that.

Edited by to_dave007
  • Like 4
SumDumJoe

That PDF is about all I could find as well. No real information on where it goes, the costs involved or how long the process takes. 

I found another website that said only another law enforcement agency can launch any sort of Interpol inquiry or database check.

If I find out any more information I will post it here for other members. 

• Like 1
to_dave007

I found another website that said only another law enforcement agency can launch any sort of Interpol inquiry or database check.

Ah.. if this is true then I would think NBI might be best place to start.  But I'd still contact that office in my previous post and ask them.

Scotsbloke

Firstly, well done.  Adopting kids is never trivial and these two are lucky to have you.  Much respect.

Anyone telling you that you need Interpol clearance is either thick as feck or pulling your gentleman's sausage.  Interpol exists to coordinate crime investigation and has no role in adoption or migration policies.  Ignore it.

Edited by Scotsbloke
SumDumJoe

I have a feeling this, like many processes here in the Philippines, was thought up by some bureaucrat with nothing better to do and no understanding of how the real world works. I would think that Interpol would get swamped with requests if every country started to adopt similar policies. 

to_dave007

Anyone telling you that you need Interpol clearance is either thick as feck or pulling your gentleman's sausage.  Interpol exists to coordinate crime investigation and has no role in adoption or migration policies.  Ignore it.

I think Interpol maintains a "wanted internationally (or within one member country) for criminal activities" database as a service to member countries.  I think this Interpol clearance is just a matter of ensuring you are not on that database.  I doubt they do any other investigation of have any direct role in the adoption.

[EDIT:   here..  try this  http://www.interpol.int/notice/search/wanted  ]

So really..  like it or not.. it's a reasonable step for the Philippines to take, given the number von unsavory folk who come to paradise to escape something.

Edited by to_dave007
  • Like 1

Firstly, well done.  Adopting kids is never trivial and these two are lucky to have you.  Much respect.

I had the same sentiment about this "requirement". I wouldn't ignore it if the informstion (the need to get the clearance) was provided from the same agency who told you to get it. The OP mentioned a briefing, but didn't say who gave it. I'd pursue the "requirement" by checking more with the agencies to which the clearances will be provided. I recall getting police clearances for my adoption process, but they were just local police from my previous address and a barangay, local court and NBI clearance. I don't think thee were even presented to some other agency. If I recall, it was all part of a package that my lawyer used when he presented evidence in court of our suitability as parents. Keep in mind, the SOLGEN is protecting the child's interests, hence the clearances etc.

I also recall reading somewhere that the Interpol was really an agency that other agencies used. I think they publish some sort of listing which is used by government agencies to inform other government agencies a person is wanted for some alleged crime. James Musslewhite may have details about this (hope I got the spelling correct). I have doubts an individual can get a clearance of any sort from them.

This requirement (for the Interpol clearance) reminds me of a form one of the members posted a while back. The form was used to "register" foreign nationals in the community he lived in. It made me laugh when I saw what information was expected. Essentially, it looked like some bureaucrat took a foreign passport and listed each element of the passport. It would have been simpler to ask the individual to give a copy of their passport.

I suppose a person could have some sort of legal issue with a nation other than his homeland. Maybe Denmark wants the OP arrested for insulting some royalty. That would surely make a court think twice about granting adoptive parental privileges to such a bad person (allegedly).

I do have a suggestion. There are many agencies who deal with overseas adoptions. Perhaps contacting one of them will provide some clarification.

to_dave007

I suppose a person could have some sort of legal issue with a nation other than his homeland. Maybe Denmark wants the OP arrested for insulting some royalty. That would surely make a court think twice about granting adoptive parental privileges to such a bad person (allegedly).

I took a quick look through a few sample "wanted persons" at the Interpol link I posted above, and one of them was a European wanted in Argentina for human trafficking. So I would say your supposition is correct.  However, I also note that the number of persons in the Interpol list is pitifully small (several hundred) and nowhere near the real number of persons wanted internationally.  One would HOPE that they do much better behind the scenes than with this small public database.   

Scotsbloke

I think Interpol maintains a "wanted internationally (or within one member country) for criminal activities" database as a service to member countries.  I think this Interpol clearance is just a matter of ensuring you are not on that database.  I doubt they do any other investigation of have any direct role in the adoption.

[EDIT:   here..  try this  http://www.interpol.int/notice/search/wanted  ]

So really..  like it or not.. it's a reasonable step for the Philippines to take, given the number von unsavory folk who come to paradise to escape something.

Davey, I have no issues with crims being caught.  I just don't think this is something Interpol are bothered with and, if they are, I want some of my £s back as we all pay for them.

I also recall reading somewhere that the Interpol was really an agency that other agencies used. I think they publish some sort of listing which is used by government agencies to inform other government agencies a person is wanted for some alleged crime. James Musslewhite may have details about this (hope I got the spelling correct). I have doubts an individual can get a clearance of any sort from them.

James knows a lot and has posted good stuff about a case he's interested in.  Not sure if he knows about Interpol and adoption....but he I hope he posts.

I took a quick look through a few sample "wanted persons" at the Interpol link I posted above, and one of them was a European wanted in Argentina for human trafficking. So I would say your supposition is correct.  However, I also note that the number of persons in the Interpol list is pitifully small (several hundred) and nowhere near the real number of persons wanted internationally.  One would HOPE that they do much better behind the scenes than with this small public database.

Another thing occurred to me about this sort of requirement. The basic concept is to determine if the potential adoptive parent is suitable". Of course we can immediately discount the obvious fact that the OP has been raising the children for a decade......suitable or not. It's only because he wants to officially make himself the parent and assure the family connection, permanently.

So, now the state gets into the picture and wants to evaluate suitability. Hence, the "clearances". So, along comes the "clearances and it is discovered the applicant has committed a crime. Has a record, so to speak. How is that "record" to be judged?

If the crime was of a violent nature or one that showed deceit or some other criminality that reveals he may not be a suitable parent, then for sure decline the applicant. What if the crime is financial such as wrote a bad check, it bounced and he paid a civil fine? Is that something to prevent his application from being approved?

Sorry, this is wandering off track and I'll stop my whining.

From what I know of Interpol, they do not reveal whether a person is wanted for crime UNLESS the country has asked for Interpol assistance. So, a child molester from USA, goes to Thailand and commits his crimes, is charged, found guilty serves his time, is deported.....how is this going to be known through an Interpol clearance?

SumDumJoe

All excellent points from everyone. 

My briefing was with the Department of Social Welfare (DSWD) here in Tagbilaran City. It is the first of many hoops to jump through. I have to have a certifcate stating that I attended the briefing, before I can continue. Next is to get all these clearance from barangay level to apparently Interpol. I got barangay and PNP clearances yesterday and have an appointment to pick up my NBI clearance today. I will ask NBI if they know any information on how to get this Interpol clearance or if it even exists. I am also still waiting for the NSO copy of our marriage certificate. We got the kids' birth certificates in about six days, but our marriage certificate seems to have gone missing at the NSO. Super. No idea how long that will take to get sorted. We have been told they need to do a manual retrieval of the document. I picture the warehouse at the end of "Indian Jones", because it has now been more than a month.

After all documents are gathered we can petition the court to allow me to adopt the boys. Our lawyer said it should be a simple case as they are the biological children of my wife, they are illegitimate and I have been caring for them for so long. BUT...... if the judge wants to be a douche, he can still order that we have a social worker come and do a home study, a battery of medical and psychological tests for all involved, proof of economic means to support them and other requirements. Then the courts would get that information and decide if I am a fit parent or not. 

I will report back if I anything changes. 

• Like 2

All excellent points from everyone. 

My briefing was with the Department of Social Welfare (DSWD) here in Tagbilaran City. It is the first of many hoops to jump through. I have to have a certifcate stating that I attended the briefing, before I can continue. Next is to get all these clearance from barangay level to apparently Interpol. I got barangay and PNP clearances yesterday and have an appointment to pick up my NBI clearance today. I will ask NBI if they know any information on how to get this Interpol clearance or if it even exists. I am also still waiting for the NSO copy of our marriage certificate. We got the kids' birth certificates in about six days, but our marriage certificate seems to have gone missing at the NSO. Super. No idea how long that will take to get sorted. We have been told they need to do a manual retrieval of the document. I picture the warehouse at the end of "Indian Jones", because it has now been more than a month.

After all documents are gathered we can petition the court to allow me to adopt the boys. Our lawyer said it should be a simple case as they are the biological children of my wife, they are illegitimate and I have been caring for them for so long. BUT...... if the judge wants to be a douche, he can still order that we have a social worker come and do a home study, a battery of medical and psychological tests for all involved, proof of economic means to support them and other requirements. Then the courts would get that information and decide if I am a fit parent or not. 

I will report back if I anything changes.

You may be able to use the marriage certificate which was filed locally at least to get the ball rolling. The NSO has had instances where the preparation of the official document was nothing more than a photocopy on NSO paper. Works fine unless illegible.

If I understand the process, the local registrar of documents sends various records to NSO and has been doing this over the years. It's not particularly surprising the documents get misplaced. We had this happen with the adoption records. After the adoption was completed, the records didn't make it to the NSO. We eventually got that sorted out (long story) and the NSO birth certificate was modified and completed. Be sure you keep the original birth certificate as well as the modified one after the adoption. You will need that for any immigration processing.......kinda like having an OR for everything.

Thanks for pointing out that it was the DSWD who gave the seminar. We adopted prior to this requirement (I guess as we never had a seminar).

You got me interested and when I looked at the DSWD websites, there were a lot of documents but no mention of an Interpol clearance.

We had a DSWD home study done prior to getting to court. Perhaps this was just our lawyer heading off a request from the judge. It was ridiculously simple. The interviewer was more interested in what life in the USA was like. No real questions about our lifestyle etc.

It may not be the judge who makes the requirement to have the additional exams and such. The SOLGEN will review all documents and such similar to any court process where evidence is presented and examined. I recall a series of back and forth discussions about my passport. Reminded me of high school kids having a classroom exercise of playing lawyer, judge etc.

• Like 3