Sign in to follow this  
Mickey

Layover In Hong Kong

Fat Cat
On the Airport Express transit times, I got off at Kowloon and remember it being about 20 minutes.

Thanks Mark. Can one easily get a red taxi from Kowloon station? I plan to go to the Comfort Hotel which is only a little over one click away along Jordan road. It's only 550 $HK, so I hope it's not a fleabag.

Edited by Fat Cat

PhilTravelExpert
9 hours gives you plenty of time to go downtown to do some shopping or sight seeing. Definitely take the MTR airport express. There is a stop in Kowloon and one downtown. For tourist-type things in the time-frame you have, take the tram to the Victoria Peak and look down on the backside of Hong Kong island (downtown); ride the worlds longest escalator (downtown); shop along the alleys of Tsing Ye (downtown) or in the various markets in Kowloon; take the Skyrail cable car over to the worlds largest sitting Buddha (near the airport).

:)

I was in Hong Kong for the day. Got a same day rail pass to Hong Kong and Kowloon. It was cheap. Train takes 25 minutes from airport to Hong Kong. I had dinner with a friend and walked around and shopped (what else?)

Rail was convenient and easy and cheap. Stored bags in the storage area.

Dan

Jeff is that you? If so welcome!!

:)

I was in Hong Kong for the day. Got a same day rail pass to Hong Kong and Kowloon. It was cheap. Train takes 25 minutes from airport to Hong Kong. I had dinner with a friend and walked around and shopped (what else?)

Rail was convenient and easy and cheap. Stored bags in the storage area.

Nangulo
Thanks Mark. Can one easily get a red taxi from Kowloon station? I plan to go to the Comfort Hotel which is only a little over one click away along Jordan road. It's only 550 $HK, so I hope it's not a fleabag.

Taxi's abound. Check first to see if there's a complimentary shuttle. The Kowloon station has about 6 shuttles that go off in all different directions whose only job is to take people to and from their hotels. Hong Kong really knows how to treat a tourist.

David_LivinginTalisay

Mickey,

I have just come back from Hong Kong, although I did not exactly go for a 'StopOver' or 'LayOver'.

My Dad had spent 2 weeks with us here in CEBU from the UK (having flown the new OASIS Airline from LGW-CEB for GBP261.05 RETURN (inclusive of ALL Taxes and surcharges). His connection HKG-CEB-HKG was via Cebu Pacific for GBP81, making it GBP341 for his visit to us in CEBU.

I had recommend that my Dad, should 'stop over' on his return leg as the Cebu Pacific flight lands 23:50, yet the Oasis Flight departure is 01:30. This does not leave much time for passing through immigration, customs, collecting luggage, and then checking in for such flight!

I thought he could just 'transfer' from one flight to the next? Apparently when arriving on the Oasis flight from LGW, he was told his baggage would NOT be transferred from Oasis to the Cebu Pacific flight! He had to collect his bags, as if arriving, then check bags in as departing. Trying to do this in 1 Hour 40 minutes is difficult, if not impossible. Any delay with Cebu Pacific departing CEB and thus arriving late HKG, would mean forfeight of the Hot Deal Air Fare on the Oasis Return leg.

So this is why my Dad was looking to stay in Hong Kong. He decided to make it holiday in Hong Kong and stay 5 nights, as 6 Years since he last visited, when we were living in Hong Kong. We decided to fly with my 76 year old Dad and keep him company, and help him cope with holiday in Hong Kong on Pension.

Cost of staying in Hong Kong can be fairly expensive.

However with a bit of searching and help, one can find something to suit all budgets, depending on time of year and if any Conferences taking place etc.

For example the room my Dad stayed in was HK$160 per night for single room, with shared bathroom with one other. Obviously you cant expect much, paying as low as GBP10.50 a night (less than US$21)! It did have Cable TV, Split type Aircon, but rather small and no windows!

http://www.sunkong.com.hk

Sun Kong Hostel

Flat C5, 6th Floor,

Block C, Paterson Building,

37 Paterson Street,

Causeway Bay, Hong Kong.

(Near to Causeway Bay MTR station Exit E, turn left, then left again, and just past 'Starbucks')

Hotline: English

freeheeler

Thst is very cheap. I may look into flying from London when I am there in March. My flights from SFO to london cost a minimum of 500 pounds.!!

My Dad had spent 2 weeks with us here in CEBU from the UK (having flown the new OASIS Airline from LGW-CEB for GBP261.05 RETURN (inclusive of ALL Taxes and surcharges). His connection HKG-CEB-HKG was via Cebu Pacific for GBP81, making it GBP341 for his visit to us in CEBU.