Sign in to follow this  
Mickey

Layover In Hong Kong

Mickey

I am coming to Cebu in about 3 weeks. I will have a 9 hour layover in Hong Kong. Any suggestions besides plan my travel better, on what I can do in Hong Kong for that time.

Mickey

CaptainJackson
I am coming to Cebu in about 3 weeks. I will have a 9 hour layover in Hong Kong. Any suggestions besides plan my travel better, on what I can do in Hong Kong for that time.

Mickey

Well, depending on where you are coming from and how long you were in the air, and whether or not you got quality sleep on the flight, you could sleep (after getting something to eat and visiting the duty free shop) in the terminal.

If you are the adventurist type, you could go outside the airport and into the city, for some sight seeing.

Dan

Mickey

It depends.

What time of day do you arrive Hong Kong Airport?

The airport is first rate and huge. There is a facility with very basic nap rooms and another place with very nice showers.

Will your airline allow you to get a visa and leave the airport? Your destination is Cebu not Hong Kong so you need to check with your airline first.

Do you want to visit Hong Kong Island or Kowloon or both?

What do you want to do or see?

If you are able to leave the airport your best bet is take the MTR

Nangulo

9 hours gives you plenty of time to go downtown to do some shopping or sight seeing. Definitely take the MTR airport express. There is a stop in Kowloon and one downtown. For tourist-type things in the time-frame you have, take the tram to the Victoria Peak and look down on the backside of Hong Kong island (downtown); ride the worlds longest escalator (downtown); shop along the alleys of Tsing Ye (downtown) or in the various markets in Kowloon; take the Skyrail cable car over to the worlds largest sitting Buddha (near the airport).

freeheeler

Mickey

Hi Mickey

I'm in the same postion as you with Cathay Pacific. My flight gets in at 7am and leaves again at 5pm (approx) I am reckoning for the usual delays arriving, getting baggage etc. and then of course having to queue again for security checks before boarding so I reckon maybe only 5 - 6 hours at the most. I think I will just take a nice shower and relax in the sleeping area. This site tells you about what there is available in the airport

http://www.hongkongairport.com/eng/aguide/passenger.html

Fat Cat

[quote name='Dan' date='Oct 29 2006, 11:10 PM' post='5428

Will your airline allow you to get a visa and leave the airport? Your destination is Cebu not Hong Kong so you need to check with your airline first.

U.S.A. passport holders can stay 90 days in Hong Kong without a visa. Airlines have nothing to do with it.

Pazific_Dreamz

After 9 hours of flying and probably 12 hours of travelling I would go to an airporthotel and get some sleep, roomservice, minibar, a shower watch tv - and it would soon be time to hit back to the terminal... :any-help:

Edited by Pazific_Dreamz

Dan

Fat Cat> "U.S.A. passport holders can stay 90 days in Hong Kong without a visa. Airlines have nothing to do with it."

Fat Cat, do you know for a fact that a passenger with a through ticket to Mactan can depart the terminal? Have you done this? Thanks Dan

Nangulo
Fat Cat> "U.S.A. passport holders can stay 90 days in Hong Kong without a visa. Airlines have nothing to do with it."

Fat Cat, do you know for a fact that a passenger with a through ticket to Mactan can depart the terminal? Have you done this? Thanks Dan

Let me jump in.

I did it on the return leg where my through ticket was to from CEB to LAX. When I left the airport, the Hong Kong immigration officials didn't look at my ticket to see if I had a way out. IMO, they didn't care. They were looking for a valid passport, that's it. The onus for not breaking their laws rested with me. I got back to the airport in time for my flight, no questions asked, no eyebrows raised.

Fat Cat

No I never did it, but I intend to, which is why I looked it up. I found the information at the official Kong Kong tourist web site. You can google for the link.

Fat Cat
After 9 hours of flying and probably 12 hours of travelling I would go to an airporthotel and get some sleep, roomservice, minibar, a shower watch tv - and it would soon be time to hit back to the terminal... :sad_01:

That's what I plan to do after getting in at 8 P.M. with 13 hours 'til the next leg. But there is only one hotel at the airport and the cheapest room is over $200 U.S.

Booking.com is a good site for hotel reservations. It has maps of the area, all hotels in the vicinity etc. One thing I hold against them, they deliberately neglect to identify the airport stations at Kowloon and Central. I guess they want all the hotels to have a chance to book, not just the ones close to the stations. Anyway, using a separate street map of Hongkong I was able to identify the station at Kowloon on the Booking.com maps and find some hotels nearby that are promising candidates.

Let me jump in.

I did it on the return leg where my through ticket was to from CEB to LAX. When I left the airport, the Hong Kong immigration officials didn't look at my ticket to see if I had a way out. IMO, they didn't care. They were looking for a valid passport, that's it. The onus for not breaking their laws rested with me. I got back to the airport in time for my flight, no questions asked, no eyebrows raised.

I assume the airline had your checked luggage all the time and passed it through on the flight to LAX so you didn't have to bother with it at Hong Kong.

Did you have to go through security again? I suppose so, but only with your carry on?

Dan

Fat Cat and Mark,

Thank you for the detailed answers!

Cathay told us we would not be able to leave the airport during our stop-over to or from Mactan. I think they just want to charge you the extra $50.00 fee for a stay-over. This is what we have done the past three years, spending one or two nights in Hong Kong.

Yea, I don

AdamO

Falling asleep on those nice looking chairs can find your back doing interesting things a few hours later. :sad_01:

Fat Cat

The airport express is round trip to and from the airport only. The station is in the airports lower level. It

Nangulo
I assume the airline had your checked luggage all the time and passed it through on the flight to LAX so you didn't have to bother with it at Hong Kong.

Yes.

If you find yourself with bags between flights, there is an area within the airport where you can drop off your luggage and they will hold it for you.

http://www.hongkongairport.com/eng/aguide/baggage.html

Did you have to go through security again? I suppose so, but only with your carry on?

Yes, but it's no different than in a US airport.

On the Airport Express transit times, I got off at Kowloon and remember it being about 20 minutes.

http://www.vectormap.com/airport/e-trans2.htm