Sign in to follow this  
KeithAngel

Cebuano and English Classes

KeithAngel

My Partner is about to launch both Cebuano for us guys and English for any Filipinos here in Cebu City and on line for anyone further away (skype etc) in fact I was asking permission of Paul to publicise yesterday which he has kindly given.

What we envisage here in Cebu are small groups between 1-4 meeting either at our place in Guadalupe or at yours if that suits you better and we will be offering introductory classes to meet and discuss the level of study required either in Cebuano or English.

We are currently working on lesson plans for these courses

My Partner is a Graduate of English and has completed 33 units out of 39 in her Masters in English MAEd ELT(with Cebuano as one of her cognate subjects) She has been teaching English as a Second Language at the largest language school in Asia for nearly seven years and is at the 85% level at Cambridge Certificate in Advanced English and is at the top of her game, she therefore is able not only to speak both languages fluently but also to explain the underlying rules and grammar for those wishing to achieve fluency and of course for those that would simply like to feel more proficient ordering a cold beer

If this is of interest to any of the members here please feel free to text on 0917-4941742 giving your name and preferably land line number or send Angie a P.M.

----------

If you are a New Member (having made less than 25 posts), you will be unable to send Angie a PM.

In this case, feel free to use the Contact Form on this site. I will refer all contacts made there, direct to Angie.

NOTE: The form is ONLY for issues concerning the forums, like logging in problems. But, in this case, since I support what Angie is doing so much, I am happy to help others make contact with Angie so they may learn Cebuano too.

bret

Thanks Keith Angel.

This is cool!

I am very interested in learning Cebuano.

I have many books and ordered some CDs/DVDs.

But, nothing beats a live teacher. Especially a trained one who can really explain things. I have tried to learn Cebuano from Cebuano friends, but since they are not teachers, they can't really explain why you need that linker, modifier, or adjective, etc.

Will send a PM.

Thanks for the post!

Mark L

Great! Hope to take part in these classes when I arrive.

Balay

How much do the classes cost ?

KeithAngel

Thanks for the responses and P.M.s we are working some bugs out of the tariffs but the basic deal is the more intensive 1-1 and regular the cheaper and if you can get 3-4 of you together for a class or 2 a week that will be very economical to.

My lady needs to work towards replacing and ultimately enhancing her salary but we both recognise the important thing is to begin and let the clients become the referrals No -ones going to get rich on this I guess but from the messages here and privately I am happy to see my intuition payed off in recognising a need , mine as much as anything to become integrated here with the people.and culture

We will announce rates and the intro class over the weekend and don't forget If you have a S.O. here that could use some English lessons that's also part of the curriculum.

rholu

Well, that's pretty cool! I am really interested to be part of online experts of Cebuano/English teachers. Right now, I am marketing myself at edufire.com. And perhaps next year God willing, I would avail of a seat as a J.O. employee in New Ormoc City National High School.

Rholu

Edited by rholu

bret

Well Ladies and Germs,

I just finished my first lesson, via the Internet no less.

I have to say, Keith's Angel is an EXCELLENT teacher. She can speak English as good as she speaks Cebuano! (which is much better than I, on both accounts)

She is an English teacher after all and can tell you why you need that "linker" or "modifier"...or if you don't know what those are, she can explain that as well. This is not just a "listen to a native talker, talk" kind of class.

She also is very good at breaking down the words into syllables and helping you to "pro-nun-ci-ate" correctly. On top of that, you will learn new nouns, verbs, adjectives, pro-nouns, etc. and how to create sentences...the most fun part.

Too bad I won't be able to join the classes in Cebu, but at least I can get on-line instruction.

Oh, and Keith is a lucky guy.

Thanks Keith and Keith'sAngel!

Regards,

Bret

Balay
I just finished my first lesson, via the Internet no less.

She is an English teacher after all and can tell you why you need that "linker" or "modifier"...or if you don't know what those are,

Can you tell us exactly what you learned during your first lesson ?

Why do we need a "linker" or "modifier" ?

Can you explain to us what a "linker" or "modifier" is ?

bret
Can you tell us exactly what you learned during your first lesson ?

Why do we need a "linker" or "modifier" ?

Can you explain to us what a "linker" or "modifier" is ?

I am just a beginner and not the best student, but will try to fumble an answer to your queries...

The first lesson is mostly for her to see where you are in terms of knowledge of the language. She will ask you to say words you know, correct your pronunciation (a lot of that was needed in my case), and then ask for you to form sentences. I could only concoct very simple sentences, like gutom nako.

She would expand that and show the formal version, ako gigutom. And less formal versions, gutom ko.

gutom is the verb, whereas gigutom is an adjective. As can be seen, gigutom (adjective = hungry) is a derivative of gutom (a verb = hunger) or kagutom (a noun = hunger).

Adjectives and adverbs are modifiers. Adjectives modify nouns and pronouns. Adverbs modify verbs, adjectives, and other adverbs. The pronoun in this case being ako or ko (=me or I).

Here's an example of a linker, duha ka babaye, ka is linking the numeral with a noun.

Edited by bret

Balay
I am just a beginner and not the best student, but will try to fumble an answer to your queries...

Thanks for taking the time to explain this. It seems like you are learning fast.

I was never good at languages ... so it makes it hard for me to even learn the basics.

KeithAngel

Firstly Guys let me say we delighted with the level of response both here on the thread and for all the P.M.s mostly from you guys who need an on line version,

The first introduction to Cebuano will be at our place at 3pm on Saturday the 22nd November and will last a couple of hours and will give us all a chance to meet and discuss both the language and our particular needs and aspirations, refreshments will be available There is no charge for this but a donation box will be available to cover drinks.Please let us know if you wish to attend either as a P.M. or text.

We have been asked about costs and this is how we are thinking

If you want 1-1 intensive 4-5 sessions (30-40 hours a month)a week and prepaid monthly after the initial week then the cost is $6000-8000 at our place, at yours, plus the transport(about $200p per hour)

If there are 4 of you that want to study together for example on a bi-weekly lesson (paid monthly) or we can put together such a group from individuals then $200p per person per class plus transport if its at your location for 1.5-2hours

Other combinations of 2-3 people and maybe up to 6 are possible, My partner is in transition at the moment finishing working her notice and we hope will soon be available full time for these classes at the moment she is available for a 2 hour slot in the evenings during the week ,weekends and maybe on line for an early morning session for those of you who live in the States for example.

Printed revision of the lesson will be supplied and all participants are encouraged to record the class for later study

All other more casual arrangements are possible just ask and we will give you a price.

On line we will accept paypal and an initial intro 30mins is free on Skype our preferred voip (you can also record on "pamela"and thus store your lesson to review and practice on this platform) costs will be at around 7.5 US Dollars an hour again depending on frequency

If there is anyone out there that would like to join but has real hardship please talk to us as we want to be inclusive where possible .

Hi Angie here. The conversation I had with Bret this morning was some kind of assessment or, let's say, Needs Analysis. It was not a formal lesson but I am happy to see in him the passion to learn the language. I am impressed by the way he explained things here and I am convinced the moment he arrives here, we will be talking in Cebuano. If you have more questions in mind, feel free to ask my manager, Keith, hehehehe....

Balay
If you want 1-1 intensive 4-5 sessions (30-40 hours a month)a week and prepaid monthly after the initial week then the cost is $6000-8000 at our place, at yours, plus the transport(about $200p per hour)

Is it possble to do 2 sessions a week ?

How long is each session ?

How much would it be for 16 sessons for example rather than per month ?

Alan S

I assume that the above figures should be: 6,000 - 8,000 Peso...and 2,000 Peso, not $.

KeithAngel
I assume that the above figures should be: 6,000 - 8,000 Peso...and 2,000 Peso, not $.

yes ;):(:P

Mark L
Is it possble to do 2 sessions a week ?

How long is each session ?

How much would it be for 16 sessons for example rather than per month ?

Is it 200p or 2000p per hour?