Thai Red Chicken Curry

This is one of our favorite dish at Krua Thai. Since I started cooking our own Red Chicken Curry, we stopped going to Krua Thai. :kidding:

Ingredients:

3/4 kilo breast chicken fillet cut into bite size (we usually buy the ones from Magnolia chicken cuts at the grocery) or menudo cut chicken pieces

Thai Foods Red Curry Paste

red bell peppers (julienned)

chopped parsley

Fish sauce or patis

spring onions

onion (chopped)

freshly squeezed coconut milk or 1 can of coconut milk

oil

Heat pan or wok, add some oil and saute onions, add chicken, cook for a bit when the chicken meat turns whitish, add a dash of fish sauce and the chopped parsley, cook for a bit till you can smell the heavenly scent of the fish sauce :rolleyes: , add the red curry paste, be ready to add the coconut milk since the curry paste dries up pretty quick once added to the chicken, add the julienned red bell peppers and spring onions, let it boil for a few minutes to cook the coconut milk and bell peppers.... I usually cook by smell, lol, normally I'm not too fussy with the "exact" measurements of ingredients. B)

p1160118xz2.jpg

I think Krua Thai's version of the Red Chicken Curry is cooked with egg for fillers for the coconut milk.

The Thai Foods Red Curry Paste is usually found in most supermarkets.

pb040122dl0.jpg

Great Thai food, just wish Krua Thai had authentic Thai food, as in the kind of Thai food you get in Thailand.

KeithAngel
Great Thai food, just wish Krua Thai had authentic Thai food, as in the kind of Thai food you get in Thailand.

Yes I miss the variety of Thai food too

The Mason
This is one of our favorite dish at Krua Thai. Since I started cooking our own Red Chicken Curry, we stopped going to Krua Thai. :P

Ingredients:

3/4 kilo breast chicken fillet cut into bite size (we usually buy the ones from Magnolia chicken cuts at the grocery) or menudo cut chicken pieces

Thai Foods Red Curry Paste

red bell peppers (julienned)

chopped parsley

Fish sauce or patis

spring onions

onion (chopped)

freshly squeezed coconut milk or 1 can of coconut milk

oil

Heat pan or wok, add some oil and saute onions, add chicken, cook for a bit when the chicken meat turns whitish, add a dash of fish sauce and the chopped parsley, cook for a bit till you can smell the heavenly scent of the fish sauce ;) , add the red curry paste, be ready to add the coconut milk since the curry paste dries up pretty quick once added to the chicken, add the julienned red bell peppers and spring onions, let it boil for a few minutes to cook the coconut milk and bell peppers.... I usually cook by smell, lol, normally I'm not too fussy with the "exact" measurements of ingredients. :)

I think Krua Thai's version of the Red Chicken Curry is cooked with egg for fillers for the coconut milk.

The Thai Foods Red Curry Paste is usually found in most supermarkets.

I love red curry! One suggestion to improve the recipe is to add the coconut milk first. Heat it in the wok until the coconut oil begins to separate from the rest of it. You can tell because you'll have lots of medium size bubbles and the milk will start to look shiny. Once this happens, continue with the recipe as you have it listed. This method produces a richer, creamier curry and works best if you're using 100% coconut milk or coconut cream.

Edited by The Mason
I love red curry! One suggestion to improve the recipe is to add the coconut milk first. Heat it in the wok until the coconut oil begins to separate from the rest of it. You can tell because you'll have lots of medium size bubbles and the milk will start to look shiny. Once this happens, continue with the recipe as you have it listed. This method produces a richer, creamier curry and works best if you're using 100% coconut milk or coconut cream.

My curry always comes out creamy. Especially when I'm using freshly squeezed coconut milk. Sometimes I add more coconut milk coz hubby always scoops out the curry sauce! :P

I agree. Krua Thai is garbage.

I seen there is a new Thai resto opening soon at the Terraces at Ayala. I hope it is better than Krua Thai.

Anything that's authentic Thai, is going to be way too hot for many Filipinos I think. But if they have it rated by a heat index like many in the US, that might work! I like it HOT!

The Thai based curry is a favorite around my house too. But we go for the yellow curry instead or the red. And I like to roast the red bell pepper before adding it to the mix. I think that really improves their flavor. While it may not be authentic Thai food, it is quite edible (imho) and people adapt recipes all over the world to meet differing palates.

Cheers Misty. :P

If I may add, there's something called "Curry Gravy" that's sold in the Ayala Supermarket. It comes in a glass jar and isn't one of those spice mixes that's a dry powder. It's essentially a chilli/spice mix with oil, highly recommended, I use it to make a similar recipe to one Misty has detailed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

Unfortunately the new Thai place at Ayala Terraces IS Krua Thai. Same owners, basically the same menu. According to the manager (wincing) 'a few new dishes'.

I agree. Krua Thai is garbage.

I seen there is a new Thai resto opening soon at the Terraces at Ayala. I hope it is better than Krua Thai.

Hands down this is the best I have tasted. Made it myself. If you dont like heat stay out of the kitchen (or cut three quarters out of the bird's eye chillies dosage).

http://www.chetbacon.com/thai-html/Gaeng_phed_kai.htm

try also the green curry paste and musaman (aka muslim) pastes. If you know better I'm all tongue.

you can make a batch and put it into an ice cube tray for the freezer. Take out 2 cubes, add coconut milk and your fave condiments, eg nam pla, calamansi and palm sugar to taste.

cheers

tom

Edited by breakfast

Thai food is invariably bland and overrpriced in the Philippines, to the point where I seldom bother with it. I have this crazy idea that Thailand is actually the best place to eat Thai food, and I never eat it anywhere else. Pinoys just don't like spicy food - even the Jollibee 'spicy' chicken isn't spicy, for goodness sake - and none of my favourite Thai dishes get on the menus here.

still it can get worse than here. The worst Thai meal I ever ate was in the Haight in San Francisco in an eatery that was recommended in a tourist guide book. It was so bad we refused to pay for it except for the rice which we ate because we were starving. After that I stopped bothering with Thai food outside Thailand.