Sign in to follow this  
Mikala

Bayfront Hotel - Cebu

Mikala

I booked a Superior Room at the Bayfront Hotel in lieu of Radisson Blu about a month ago. I’d stayed at the Blu many times, but finally got tired of the local management. My only reason for trying out the Bayfront Hotel was its location near the docks and the wife’s parents’ home in Mandaue. The listing for Agoda shows 1 double bed or 2 single beds. Not being familiar with a double bed size, but sure that I didn’t want a single size bed, I opted for the double bed. Upon check-in, I found out the double bed is only 4’6” wide (135 cm). Whilst the single bed is 3’ (90 cm) wide.

Due to a red-eye flight from Singapore, we arrived at 5 am or so, asked for an early check-in and the front desk girl told us to check back when a room was available. By 7 am, a large number of people had already departed, but by then, the girl’s story changed and she told us that we couldn’t check in until 11 am or pay ½ a day’s hotel charge. We declined to pay ½ the usual charge for an extra 4 hours of room usage though. Ended up just taking a taxi to Abaca Baking Company for breakfast and then doing a bit of shopping at SM prior to check-in at 11 am (the earliest they’d allow us to check-in without a surcharge). Check-in was routine and no problems. We fell into a coma for several hours after that on the too-small bed. I guess it’s okay for a single person, but definitely not for a couple!

Shower pressure was dismal and the air conditioning was even worse. Wireless internet was horrible and quite useless. Globe 3G with 3 bars was much better. For a new hotel, it was already showing advanced signs of age. The worst part was the air conditioning that wouldn’t lower the room’s temperature less than 26 degrees. Of course the mini-refrigerator also didn’t function well, so food in it was merely cool, but not cold.

Next morning we went to the hotel’s free breakfast buffet around 8 am and found the place to be absolutely packed with 99.9% locals. The noise level was deafening. There were no tables available, so we just waded into the crowd near the tables in hopes there might be food in the warming trays. Sadly most of the trays were empty. The staff refilled the sausage tray and I ended up with 5 small, but sweet sausages that were kind of unappetizing. I got some bread though and a bit of butter. Somehow the wife managed to get us a vegetarian omelet after 2 requests. We managed to sit down in some lounge chairs to endure the food. I was hoping that we’d never go to the buffet again!

Later in the day, while waiting for the wife, I decided to order room service for her and chose a grilled pork chop, as well as a lemon butter fish filet. The food arrived after 30 minutes, but the pork was just pieces of pork fat. The fish was kind of okay, but lacked any crispness, even though it was fried.

We woke at 6 am with the expectation that we’d get down to breakfast and perhaps get a real table and maybe get a chance to order some eggs, perhaps even an omelet. Headed down by 6:30 am and found the free breakfast buffet to already be 1/3 populated with folks digging in. We were kind of surprised with that. I took a few items off the buffet line though and I was happy that at least the trays were full at 6:30 am, though empty at 8 am. Had to order the egg omelet from the staff 3 times before anything showed up. I managed to snag some coffee, but only ½ a cup before it ran empty. Headed to a table and downed the food I managed to grab, drank my ½ cup of coffee and then got another cup (compliments of the wife). I managed to get the wife to agree to never endure their free breakfast again.

Check-out was okay. No real fuss at 6 am. Of course there’s always a delay as they check the room to ensure we hadn’t stolen the towels or television.

There’s no possibility I’ll return to the Bayfront Hotel, even if it was free.

Edited by Mikala
  • Like 2

sugbu777
There’s no possibility I’ll return to the Bayfront Hotel, even if it was free.

Thanks for the review. How much was your "Superior" room?

Edited by sugbu777

Mikala

Thanks for the review. How much was your "Superior" room?

Worked out to $52 (2,450p) a night with taxes and fees.

After suffering Bayfront I went directly to the Golden Prince Hotel with a much bigger room, good working air conditioning and a queen sized bed for $10 (USD) more.

• Like 1

tothemark

Hi Mikala,

You must have had a duff room,i stayed here 10 days ago. On the 6th floor, King size bed, air con droped to 16, and good pressure on the shower, i really had no issueswith the rooms or front desk and found it a breeze.

On the other hand your issues with the breakfast i can understand, for me this is where they were saving money and its very short sighted of the management as a good breakfast can really sell a hotel.

I would stay there again, can you remember the room number you were in so i dont book it, lol. Mine was 626 i think.

TTM

Mikala

Hi Mikala,

You must have had a duff room,i stayed here 10 days ago. On the 6th floor, King size bed, air con droped to 16, and good pressure on the shower, i really had no issueswith the rooms or front desk and found it a breeze.

On the other hand your issues with the breakfast i can understand, for me this is where they were saving money and its very short sighted of the management as a good breakfast can really sell a hotel.

I would stay there again, can you remember the room number you were in so i dont book it, lol. Mine was 626 i think.

TTM

Checking Agoda and Expedia for several different dates in 2016 only shows a Superior or Barkada room. Superior room only shows single or double beds, whilst the Barkada room has 2 bunk beds. I checked the hotel's website and see they have a suite available for over 5,000p. It doesn't show the bed size though. For that kind of money, I'd prefer the very good wireless internet, king sized bed, spacious room and swimming pool at the Radisson Blu.

I have no recollection of the room number, but I believe we were on the 8th or 9th floor.

Edited by Mikala

tothemark

I acutually have a photo of the room at the Bayfront, the strange things one keeps. This was the only bed in the room and I would say thats a King or damn big queen, the bed i mean :)

post-17620-0-82232200-1452128642_thumb.jpg

TTM

• Like 2

tothemark

I paid 2137p inc for that room in Dec, its now coming up at 1815p before 17.5% tax and service for Jan on Asia Travel.

darrener

We use bayfront when we have our two kids with us, we stay in the Barkada room with the bunk beds, the rate is very reasonable for four occupants and we have never had any issues with the hotel.

Having said this I certainly would not recommend the place for a romantic getaway or anything like that but if all you need is a clean, comfortable place to sleep it's fine.... we found breakfast to be adequate for a start to the day although I agree it can get crowded in there....

Skywalker

A standard double bed is 4'6" wide.

• Like 1

Davaoeno

double bed - 54 inches

queen - 60 inches 

If a hotel only has twins we put them together.  That is also the way many hotels form  King size beds 

• Like 2

newtocebu

We stayed for 1 night back in May last year.

The good:

The room was very clean and modern.

AC was cool and water pressure good.

The bad:

We stayed on the top floor - the noise from the compressors on the roof stopping and starting made getting any sleep very difficult.

The very bad:

The free buffet breakfast - easily the worst I've had anywhere in the Philippines.

Dining area capacity is insufficient - we also couldn't get a seat.

The food consisted only of Filipino food - looked terrible, tasted even worse.

• Like 2

Dafey

I acutually have a photo of the room at the Bayfront, the strange things one keeps. This was the only bed in the room and I would say thats a King or damn big queen, the bed i mean :)

attachicon.gif20151222_220743.jpg

TTM

Nice amenities!