Filipina-American Divorce

Davaoeno

Didn't she say he was working on a Spousal Visa to get her to the USA, but now she wants a divorce instead.

I missed that 

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maldita23

• Paul

• Davaoeno

• SkyMan

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So, the asshole could fly to the Philippines, screw you, marry you, and make you promises that he couldn't afford to keep. Then, when he should have carried though, he dropped the ball, like a number

Maldita, sorry to hear about your situation. Read all the post but you didn't say much about your "husband". I can understand if you want to keep info private about him.   5 years ago, a young woman

I now have the authenticated documents needed for the Recognition of a Foreign Decree.  Next step is to look for a Filipino lawyer.

Posted Images

Maldita23

If she told him she wants a divorce, but he doesn't want one. How is that abandonment on his part?

Didn't she say he was working on a Spousal Visa to get her to the USA, but now she wants a divorce instead.

I found out a few things after the marriage. Things that I can not accept and live with.

I know it is hard for you to understand the whole situation since I have not stated it in full details but there are things I want to keep private. He said he will give me divorce  when he feels like it. I want to settle this because I will graduate soon and I want my papers clean of any mess.

Edited by Maldita23
  • Like 3
Davaoeno

I found out a few things after the marriage. Things that I can not accept and live with.

Things that he hid from you ? or just things that you assumed incorrectly ?

• Like 2
Maldita23

Things that he hid from you ? or just things that you assumed incorrectly ?

Things that he hid from me. Things that changes everything including our future.

Things that I believe he should have told me before we get married, if he did, we would have not married.

• Like 5
Maldita23

Thank you Davaoeno and everyone for the helpful links and articles. I highly appreciate it. I will let you know how this process will go. :)

• Like 3
A_Simple_Man

Things that I believe he should have told me before we get married, if he did, we would have not married.

Would they be grounds for an annulment?  Or are you looking for the ind of financial settlement that usually comes with a divorce rather than an annulment?

smokey

Would they be grounds for an annulment?  Or are you looking for the ind of financial settlement that usually comes with a divorce rather than an annulment?

what kind of settlement do you get after 1 year of marriage no children uphill battle to say the least

SkyMan

Her words were that he tried to get her a visa.  He may have stopped the process because he ran out of money or because she decided to get divorced.  She may have been denied for some reason or he may never have tried but simply told her he had tried.
  • Like 2
SkyMan

You got a spousal visa so I infer that you provided plenty of proof of marriage to the Dept of State.

But that still doesn't constitute "filing the marriage" as is done in some countries. There is no way for someone to look up to see if they are married. The FBI or perhaps the IRS could do that but not without reason.
  • Like 1
shadow

But that still doesn't constitute "filing the marriage" as is done in some countries. There is no way for someone to look up to see if they are married. The FBI or perhaps the IRS could do that but not without reason.

Right you are. They may be able to see if you claimed to be married on taxes or military records, but to go any further they would have to search every county courthouse in the US and it's territories individually, which would still not turn up a Philippine or marriage in another country.

I seem to answer this question 2-3 times per week, The US has no national database of marriages, so there is no one place to get that information.

There is also no national database for "police clearance", yet a requirement for a visa application is police clearance from every country one has lived in. They require applicants to get something from third world countries that is not readily available in the US.

One could speculate a million different case scenarios between this couple, it could be one or the other (or both) had bad or hidden intentions, or maybe it just didn't work out. To take sides on the amount of information given would be prejudicial. We don't know the other side of this story. Often the girl will come to realize too late there is a snake in the grass.

• Like 5
Maldita23

Let me summarize it by saying, he is not who he said and I thought he was.

We fought to make it work-but it didn't.Things didn't work out.Lesson learned.

Edited by Maldita23
  • Like 7
SkyMan

Let me summarize it by saying, he is not who he said and I thought he was.

We fought to make it work-but it didn't.Things didn't work out.Lesson learned.

I think she's answered this as well as she needs to.  Further questions along this line will be considered off topic with warnings/points issued.  The topic is how she can best go about securing a divorce or annulment.

• Like 1
bahalina buong

Husband of the OP is obviously pissed about something, but he'll get over it soon.  If I was OP, I would just be friendly with him and not make threats or take any action for a while.  There's really not much else she can do with her limited funds.  She should just hit the discos, stroll Ayala and scour the internet dating sites and in a month or so when she finds true love again with another (hopefully more affluent) foreigner, hubby should be over it all and grant the divorce.  If not, then the new guy can finance an annulment.   :good:

RogerDuMond

If I was OP, I would just be friendly with him and not make threats or take any action for a while.

Informing him that as his wife, she is the beneficiary of his 401k by federal law, is not a threat. It is a fact that could help push him in the direction she wants.

• Like 3

If not, then the new guy can finance an annulment.

She doesn't want a "new guy" to finance anything, if you read all of her replies. She wants to be free of this so she can pursue her future - which may be studies, working abroad, etc., rather than just "hookin' up with someone else".

I think anyone deserves to be free, who wishes to be.

• Like 2