Filipina-American Divorce

Johnny S

Yours was a Declaration of Nullity of Marraige,  wish my gf's was only p45000 :(

The price of love eh?   haha

Big business!!!!

• Like 1
  • Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maldita23

• Paul

• SkyMan

• Davaoeno

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So, the asshole could fly to the Philippines, screw you, marry you, and make you promises that he couldn't afford to keep. Then, when he should have carried though, he dropped the ball, like a number

Maldita, sorry to hear about your situation. Read all the post but you didn't say much about your "husband". I can understand if you want to keep info private about him.   5 years ago, a young woman

I now have the authenticated documents needed for the Recognition of a Foreign Decree.  Next step is to look for a Filipino lawyer.

Posted Images

So it looks like my only options are convincing him to divorce me and then , worst case-the annulment.

Read my post, above. I would look into the NSO first. 

• Like 1
Headshot

So it looks like my only options are convincing him to divorce me and then , worst case-the annulment.

It certainly sounds that way.

It certainly sounds that way.

Possibly. But, as I have suggested. She needs to find out if it were ever filed with the NSO.  A simple request for the marriage document would prove (or disprove) that.

• Like 1
Headshot

Just make sure that you don't get romantically involved with another man until you first marriage is resolved, since you are still technically married, and he could charge you with adultery.

SkyMan

Well to be clear here. It wasn't actually an annulment.
Interesting but OT.

Just make sure that you don't get romantically involved with another man until you first marriage is resolved, since you are still technically married, and he could charge you with adultery.

This cat probably doesn't have the coin to fly across town, much less back to the Philippines. She should HOPE that he returns. Then, he would be at her mercy, not the other way around. 

What a tosser that guy is. 

Unfortunately, Maltida, this is not a new thing to happen to a Filipina. Over the years, I have personally known LOTS of cases like this. 

• Like 2
Maldita23

Possibly. But, as I have suggested. She needs to find out if it were ever filed with the NSO.  A simple request for the marriage document would prove (or disprove) that.

It was filed in the NSO since he tried to get me a visa.

• Like 1

It was filed in the NSO since he tried to get me a visa.

Well, your only option, I am afraid - IF he doesn't give you a divorce, is an annulment. 

That is, unless anyone else here knows of another way. I don't. 

SkyMan

The OP lives in Cebu . Since she does not have residency in any US state she can not file for divorce anywhere in the US. 
I'm not saying you're wrong but do you know this for a fact?  Is residency required to file?  I think Nevada has some pretty loose divorce laws.

2. Go to Guam for 2 weeks to get residency, or to some other state  to get residency [ I think Nevada used to be easy, possibly las Vegas also ] . If it is uncontested this should be quite easy to do . 
I wonder if she has any kind of visa and if she doesn't it's unlikely she'll get one.

Now, you cannot file, because you are not physically in the US. 
Is this for certain?

Is this for certain?

I have no idea. I do hope not, in her case, as it would be a hell of a lot cheaper to do it in the US, than in the Philippines. 

Maldita23

I been reading North Carolina laws,at one point I understand that only one of us has to be a resident in order for one to file the divorce. But then I tried doing the online divorce and the only options I have for my address are states in the US, so it made me wonder if it means I have to be in the US before I can file. Anyways, I emailed another lawyer from North Carolina, let's see if I will get a response this time.

Humboldt

Do you have a Wedding pic from  that eventful day ? A pic is worth a thousand words

Just maybe there is a member here willing to make a wrong a right ...

• Like 1
SkyMan

I been reading North Carolina laws,at one point I understand that only one of us has to be a resident in order for one to file the divorce. But then I tried doing the online divorce and the only options I have for my address are states in the US, so it made me wonder if it means I have to be in the US before I can file.
Perhaps call the county court house for the county he lives in and explain your situation.  Perhaps they can give you some advice and it would be free (except for the phone call.)  You can find out his county from his address.
  • Like 1
shadow

I been reading North Carolina laws,at one point I understand that only one of us has to be a resident in order for one to file the divorce. But then I tried doing the online divorce and the only options I have for my address are states in the US, so it made me wonder if it means I have to be in the US before I can file. Anyways, I emailed another lawyer from North Carolina, let's see if I will get a response this time.

I believe you will find that the person filing for the divorce must be a resident of the US.

• Like 1