Filipina-American Divorce

Headshot

2. Go to Guam for 2 weeks to get residency, or to some other state  to get residency [ I think Nevada used to be easy, possibly las Vegas also ] . If it is uncontested this should be quite easy to do .

That will only work if she already has a US visa in her passport. Since she is separated, it isn't likely she could get a visa now. It takes the same US visa to visit Guam as it does to visit any other US territory.

• Like 2
  • Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maldita23

• Paul

• SkyMan

• Davaoeno

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So, the asshole could fly to the Philippines, screw you, marry you, and make you promises that he couldn't afford to keep. Then, when he should have carried though, he dropped the ball, like a number

Maldita, sorry to hear about your situation. Read all the post but you didn't say much about your "husband". I can understand if you want to keep info private about him.   5 years ago, a young woman

I now have the authenticated documents needed for the Recognition of a Foreign Decree.  Next step is to look for a Filipino lawyer.

Posted Images

shadow

That will only work if she already has a US visa in her passport. Since she is separated, it isn't likely she could get a visa now. It takes the same US visa to visit Guam as it does to visit any other US territory.

It is possible but not probable that she still has a valid green card.

Maldita23

Do you think going to USA Consulate here in Cebu will help?

Davaoeno

We got married in the Philippines on 2013.

Two questions:

1.  Was the marriage ever filed in the US ?

2.  What state does your husband live in ?

[ No 1 might be irrelevant ?? ]

shadow

Sorry, nothing they can do to help you other than with notarizing documents should you need it..

Maldita23

Two questions:

1. What do you mean by filed?  I am not sure if it is. I remember though that he said- he put me as his beneficiary on his 401k and SSS but who knows if its true or not. I can no longer trust whatever he said or says.

2. He is from and is currently in North Carolina.

Edited by Maldita23
Headshot

It is possible but not probable that she still has a valid green card.

Since she didn't say anything about ever living in the US, that is doubtful. If she did live in the US, then she should have taken care of the divorce while there. It sounds to me like a retired guy thinking he can support a wife in luxury (in the Philippines or any country) on just Social Security benefits, and then realizing that he was badly mistaken. It is the classic dream gone bad, and unfortunately, it happens all the time here because too many guys listen to overly optimistic (or totally outdated) articles, blogs and forums.

Then again, I would love to know why the OP chose the screen name "Maldita." I have never seen that used as anything but a slur when referring to a mean (or bad) girl. I've never seen anybody describe themselves that way. Does it have some bearing on the separation?

• Like 3
Maldita23

Since she didn't say anything about ever living in the US, that is doubtful. If she did live in the US, then she should have taken care of the divorce while there. It sounds to me like a retired guy thinking he can support a wife in luxury (in the Philippines or any country) on just Social Security benefits, and then realizing that he was badly mistaken. It is the classic dream gone bad, and unfortunately, it happens all the time here because too many guys listen to overly optimistic (or totally outdated) articles, blogs and forums.

Then again, I would love to know why the OP chose the screen name "Maldita." I have never seen that used as anything but a slur when referring to a mean (or bad) girl. I've never seen anybody describe themselves that way. Does it have some bearing on the separation?

I have never been in the USA. I don't hold a USA Visa/Green card.

I opt not to go on details on the reasons for the separation and it has nothing to do with my screen name.

Thank you for all the advises. I highly appreciate it.

• Like 2
shadow

Two questions:

She was married in the Philippines. The US has no national database of marriages, therefore there is no place to "file" to report a foreign marriage.

Edited by shadow
  • Like 1

Honey, the State Department doesn't give two shits about their own (American) citizens. I doubt they be able to, even if they could, do anything for you. In my opinion, that would be the last place I would go - and I am an American myself. 

• Like 2
Davaoeno

Is it possible that the USA doesnt even know that this guy ever got married, and that he is in no rush to file for divorce since he thinks he can just ignore the marriage in the Philippines ?? just a thought 

Then again, I would love to know why the OP chose the screen name "Maldita."

I wasn't going to say anything. I was waiting for someone else to, though. Hey, any Filipina that registers with that username, has got to be a tough gal. :) 

shadow

Is it possible that the USA doesnt even know that this guy ever got married, and that he is in no rush to file for divorce since he thinks he can just ignore the marriage in the Philippines ?? just a thought 

Its more than possible, it's probable.

• Like 1
Maldita23

So it looks like my only options are convincing him to divorce me and then , worst case-the annulment.

• Like 1

Its more than possible, it's probable.

Was it filed with the NSO? That, for her, is the million Piso question. 

• Like 3