Filipina-American Divorce

TheWhiteKnight

I sincerely hope, and I realize this is none of my business - that your husband has the balls to at least pay half of this. At least you have an agreement with the lawyer, hopefully in writing, that he will send you the final decree. 

Sorry to see you are having to go through all of this mess. 

Just goes to show you how screwed up foreigners can make it for a Filipino, just by walking away from the relationship. 

I'm surprised to see you take such a white knight stance on this. We don't even know the full story but you have been wanting to crucify this guy from day one. I just find that a little interesting.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maldita23

• Paul

• Davaoeno

• SkyMan

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So, the asshole could fly to the Philippines, screw you, marry you, and make you promises that he couldn't afford to keep. Then, when he should have carried though, he dropped the ball, like a number

Maldita, sorry to hear about your situation. Read all the post but you didn't say much about your "husband". I can understand if you want to keep info private about him.   5 years ago, a young woman

I now have the authenticated documents needed for the Recognition of a Foreign Decree.  Next step is to look for a Filipino lawyer.

Posted Images

SkyMan

I have a written agreement with the lawyer that he will send me a copy of the final decree.
Let him know it needs to be certified by the RP Embassy.
  • Like 2
  • Administrator
Salty Dog

At least as far as Ohio is concerned, a disillusionment (uncontested divorce) can only have one lawyer.  But that lawyer only represents the husband or the wife.  Everything must be agreed by both.  If there are 2 lawyers it becomes a full divorce.  It is really in the best interest of both to go that way.

Same in Florida. We only used one lawyer as everything was agreed on.

TheWhiteKnight

You can have this company take it to the DC embassy and get it authenticated. I had them authenticate my FBI Clearance (to the state department and then to the PH embassy) from here in the PH. It was $120 + you include a label for FedEx or DHL so they can ship it back for you.

http://www.usauthentication.com/index.php

Everything worked out great. So I can recommend them.

Edited by JeffPH
  • Like 3
Maldita23

My ex is for sure not the most horrible person in world and we both are at fault that the marriage did not work out. I appreciate all your advice. I will post updates in coming days.

• Like 2
SkyMan

It was $120
:hyper:

The lawyer should be able to do this as part of his fee.  

• Like 1
shadow

My soon to be ex husband finally signed and filed our divorce. I have received, signed, and mailed the Divorce Summon to the USA. Now, I am just waiting for the Final Divorce Paper.

My Filipino lawyer advised me to have the divorce paper and an excerpt of the North Carolina Divorce Law be authenticated by the Philippine Embassy in the US.

I have not talk to the USA lawyer about this yet, but has anyone done this before? I am trying to figure out how I can have those two documents be authenticated by the Phil. Embassy.

Another concern of mine is the price of having the divorce be recognized here in the Philippines. I have consulted two Filipino lawyers and their prices are almost the same. One said it will cost me 150,000 pesos within  8 months to 1 year and the other one said it will cost me 120,000 pesos in the same span of time.

Does anyone know a  Filipino lawyer who could  do it cheaper? Thank You.

You can have the decree authenticated by mail in the US. You don't need a US lawyer. The New York Consulate serves North Carolina;

http://www.philippinesnewyork.org/index.php?page=consular-services-new-york/faq-new-york/#authentication

The two people we guided through this paid P40,000 and P50,000, so P120,000 seems a little steep to me. You should do some shopping around in your area. 

shadow

I'm surprised to see you take such a white knight stance on this. We don't even know the full story but you have been wanting to crucify this guy from day one. I just find that a little interesting.

So you think it's ok for him to marry her and not bother to tell her he was already married? I think that would qualify him for prick status too, he should be picking up the bill for this, not her.

• Like 3
TheWhiteKnight

So you think it's ok for him to marry her and not bother to tell her he was already married? I think that would qualify him for prick status too, he should be picking up the bill for this, not her.

I don't want to read all 18 pages again, but was it the OP who's hubby was already married ? I thought that was a story from someone else.

• Like 1
shadow

I don't want to read all 18 pages again, but was it the OP who's hubby was already married ? I thought that was a story from someone else.

Without reading all 18 pages again, I'm not certain either, but I do remember her saying she sent him money to file the divorce, and he would not do it. She had to threaten him to get him to do it. I also recall her saying that he hid certain things about his past from her prior to the marriage, and that the marriage would not have taken place had she known these things. That is enough for me to classify him as a prick.

• Like 3
woodchopper

i found a certain respectability pride in divorcing and paying for my divorce from my kids mother,,"i Divorced her,,so there,,,,yadyyyaddy  yaya"

it was never a question that i would support my 3 kids also,,right thru to the end of education etc and all the usual add-ons.

Paul

There is no way this guy is squeaky clean. 

Well, if your husband was savvy enough, he could do the divorce himself. The paperwork is free and filling them out is not hard-common sense, especially if no kids and nothing is being contested . The cost varies from county to county but figure a few hundred bucks to file the petition and then the next big issue for you guys is having the papers served. Since he would file in NC, you would have to be served the petition somehow in Cebu, good luck! Once served,  after 30 days he can file papers for a Default unless you respond, which means more problems. If there are kids, OMG, it gets complicated. If you are contesting property or real estate- more complicated. in uncontested divorce, after the default is filed, then, after six months your divorced. If you are not served in the beginning, then more time is wasted because he then has to publish a notice in the local newspaper, but since you are in Cebu, it becomes a moot point. The best advice is to get the paperwork, work together and fill them out (just common sense), file them. Then, his friend, over 18, not party to the action, can serve you in person in NC. Once you are served, then you can go back to Cebu.

TheWhiteKnight

Well, if your husband was savvy enough, he could do the divorce himself. The paperwork is free and filling them out is not hard-common sense, especially if no kids and nothing is being contested . The cost varies from county to county but figure a few hundred bucks to file the petition and then the next big issue for you guys is having the papers served. Since he would file in NC, you would have to be served the petition somehow in Cebu, good luck! Once served,  after 30 days he can file papers for a Default unless you respond, which means more problems. If there are kids, OMG, it gets complicated. If you are contesting property or real estate- more complicated. in uncontested divorce, after the default is filed, then, after six months your divorced. If you are not served in the beginning, then more time is wasted because he then has to publish a notice in the local newspaper, but since you are in Cebu, it becomes a moot point. The best advice is to get the paperwork, work together and fill them out (just common sense), file them. Then, his friend, over 18, not party to the action, can serve you in person in NC. Once you are served, then you can go back to Cebu.

Haha dude, not only will this advise not work for her, she can't go to the US. She's already handled it, it's done.

RogerDuMond

Well, if your husband was savvy enough, he could do the divorce himself.

The problem with this, was that he really didn't want to take the time to do any of it and had to be pushed into having it done by a lawyer.

• Like 1