Filipina-American Divorce

Dragonladies.org

Somehow you need to make this man realize spending a few hundred dollars and a few hours of time to do the divorce

is much easier and smarter than the other options.

I'm wondering if the man has something to hide back in NC?

• Like 2
  • Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maldita23

• Paul

• Davaoeno

• SkyMan

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So, the asshole could fly to the Philippines, screw you, marry you, and make you promises that he couldn't afford to keep. Then, when he should have carried though, he dropped the ball, like a number

Maldita, sorry to hear about your situation. Read all the post but you didn't say much about your "husband". I can understand if you want to keep info private about him.   5 years ago, a young woman

I now have the authenticated documents needed for the Recognition of a Foreign Decree.  Next step is to look for a Filipino lawyer.

Posted Images

shadow

Somehow you need to make this man realize spending a few hundred dollars and a few hours of time to do the divorce

is much easier and smarter than the other options.

I'm wondering if the man has something to hide back in NC?

At one point she stated he had tried to petition her. A few years ago USCIS started getting a little more strict about the petitioners past, and started doing simple background checks on them. To sum it up, they make certain the girl knows of the criminal past, especially anything to do with domestic abuse. Mind you, there does not need to be a conviction, a simple mention on a webpage not unlike Evan's can cause serious problems for a petitioner.  It is then up to the petitioner to prove he is innocent of wrongdoing, something that will take serious coin and patience.

We run into fine specimens on a regular basis, the quality of guys wife shopping here is not always top notch. Most anyone can pull off a two week stint pretending to be someone they are not here. Some can do it for years!

That being said, I will give Maldita the benefit of the doubt.

Dragonladies.org

Yes, wasn't doubting her, even without a lot of the details.

Been there, done that, got the tear stained t-shirt.

(too quick marriage after 'honeymoon')

:)

Maybe she can find some ideas at visajourney.com?

FWIW, the divorce process in Nevada is still the quickest, but requires one party to be a resident of that state

for at least 6-8 weeks.

Only better if you are in a hurry, and somebody has the ability to be there physically for that time frame.

• Like 1
SkyMan

FWIW, the divorce process in Nevada is still the quickest, but requires one party to be a resident of that state for at least 6-8 weeks. Only better if you are in a hurry, and somebody has the ability to be there physically for that time frame.
She currently has no US visa so it would have to be him and since he's in NC, it would be cheapest and fastest for him to apply there if she can get him to apply.
  • Like 1
Maldita23

I emailed him about the spousal support, it is very obvious that he is threathened. Told him- if he won't file the divorce with in two weeks, I'd be left with no choice but to fight back. I will call a US lawyer on Monday evening since I have not gotten a single reply on emails.

• Like 1
Enuff

I emailed him about the spousal support, it is very obvious that he is threathened. Told him- if he won't file the divorce with in two weeks, I'd be left with no choice but to fight back. I will call a US lawyer on Monday evening since I have not gotten a single reply on emails.

I'm going to Charlotte, NC the week after next for work.

Let me know if you need any assistance.

• Like 2
Maldita23

I'm going to Charlotte, NC the week after next for work.

Let me know if you need any assistance.

Thank You. I will Pm you.

• Like 1

Wow. Mine paid P45,000 and then he asked for 10,000 more at the end. Her ex didn't even show up even though he was directed to by the court. The judge (a woman) basically said screw him and granted it. Well the fact that he was previously and still married when they got married didn't help his cause either.

Well to be clear here. It wasn't actually an annulment. Because the marriage was illegal, it is considered null and void. All the lawyer had to do was to submit documents from NSO showing he was a bigamist. The end is the same though.

Its an annulment, because the marriage wasn't legal when she entered into marriage with him. Its just that it was a very simple annulment to prove. That's all an annulment means, it was an illegal marriage. The only thing that usually makes it difficult in the Philippines is that people try to make an actual legal marriage illegal, to get out of it. That takes time, and CASH.

Edited by OrmocArse
  • Like 2

If I'm not mistaken, you should be able to file for divorce in his jurisdiction, however, IF YOU as the Filipina apply for the divorce, you may not ever be able to remarry in the Philippines. If your foreign spouse however applies for divorce in a foreign jurisdiction and you can prove this to a Philippines court, then you can remarry in the Philippines. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but if you even get the divorce you want, without his action, you can never marry in the Philippines again. 

http://jlp-law.com/blog/judicial-recognition-of-a-foreign-divorce-decree/

Edited by OrmocArse
Davaoeno

you should be able to file for divorce in his jurisdiction

no she cant , because she is not a resident there

• Like 2

no she cant , because she is not a resident there

Maybe. I think that would depend on the jurisdiction we are talking about. But I think in general you are probably right. I don't know about North Carolina.

You are right about NC. From http://www.divorcesource.com/ds/northcarolina/residency-requirements-for-a-north-carolina-divorce-840.shtml

If you discover that you DO NOT meet at least one of the above residency requirements, you can consider the following 4 options: 

1. Do not proceed with a divorce and attempt to save your marriage.

2. Establish residency in North Carolina for the period time set forth above (this does not mean you have to wait to begin the process of getting your documents).

3. Have your spouse do the filing if he or she meets the necessary residency requirements for North Carolina. 

4. Choose another state in which you or your spouse may meet the residency requirements (all state residency laws are unique, so be sure to check the state in which you were married as a potential option).

Edited by OrmocArse
Davaoeno

You are right about NC.

you could of course just  have read post 23 instead of doing all that research 

• Like 2

I was reading about 'uncontested divorces in N.  Carolina'. You can download a form from any one of dozens of law firms. 

They will do everything,  costs range from $400 - $700. 

Maybe your Ex can afford $400? 

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
Maldita23

I finally got a reply from one of the US lawyers I emailed. The process is pretty straight forward.

Sadly, according to my Filipino Lawyer my husband should be the plaintiff for it to be recognize here in the Philippines. So in short, he should be the one filling it. Will keep pushing to get it done.

• Like 2