Sign in to follow this  
Maldita23

Filipina-American Divorce

Maldita23

I am a Filipina separated from an American-he is from North Carolina. Long story short, things did not work out. We got married in the Philippines on 2013.

Does anyone know about Divorce process? Any legal advises? Any lawyer recommendation? Anyone who knows someone who went through the same process?

I would really appreciate the help. Thank You.

Maldita23

shadow

I am a Filipina separated from an American-he is from North Carolina. Long story short, things did not work out. We got married in the Philippines on 2013.

Does anyone know about Divorce process? Any legal advises? Any lawyer recommendation? Anyone who knows someone who went through the same process?

I would really appreciate the help. Thank You.

Maldita23

You should visit a divorce attorney is the US city where you and/or your husband lives.

If the US citizen is the one who files for the divorce, it is a little easier for the Filipino should they return to the Philippines and wish to remarry.

Edited by shadow
  • Like 1

SkyMan

Your profile says you're in Cebu so you can't get a divorce.  If your husband is in the US he can file there.

• Like 3

Maldita23

You should visit a divorce attorney is the city you live.

If the US citizen is the one who files for the divorce, it is a little easier for the Filipino should they return to the Philippines and wish to remarry.

I already did visit a lawyer here in Cebu. It sure is easier and faster if the US Citizen will file for the divorce. He said that he can not afford to give me a divorce yet-I wonder how much does it cost to file a divorce in the USA? I am a graduating student and I am hoping to clean my papers before that.

shadow

I already did visit a lawyer here in Cebu. It sure is easier and faster if the US Citizen will file for the divorce. He said that he can not afford to give me a divorce yet-I wonder how much does it cost to file a divorce in the USA? I am a graduating student and I am hoping to clean my papers before that.

It cannot be done in Cebu, divorce is not legal in the Philippines. Uncontested divorces are cheap in most US states, but each state is different, so it must be filed in the state where your husband resides.

• Like 1

Maldita23

Your profile says you're in Cebu so you can't get a divorce.  If your husband is in the US he can file there.

Yes I am in Cebu and that makes it very difficult for me to do anything. Annulment is very costly and a hassle.  I emailed two lawyers from his city and I have not gotten any response at all.

• Like 2

Maldita23

Does anyone from here know a USA Divorce Lawyer? :)

shadow

Once again, the divorce must be filed where one party lives, so if you don't live in the US, you will need to find an attorney in the state where your husband lives.

• Like 4

Nangulo

You're not going to get any meaningful answer by emailing a lawyer.  They want to get paid for their advice.  Google divorce North Carolina.  Lots of information from the state, itself, on what to do and how to file.

• Like 3

hitman

Hi.  I'm a US citizen, married in the US, got divorced from my filipina wife (dual citizen)  in 2012.

I got divorced in Guam (recognized in the US as Guam is  a US territory). If it's  contested one of you will need to live in Guam I believe for 3 months (I've forgotten)  before you can file. If non-contested it's a 2 week residency only! Your husband can visit Guam and do all the paperwork .  You can stay in the rp but he will need to send you the docs for your signature. 

Cost for Attorney Gumataotao was around $2000. The atty had/has a filipina gf/wife so he's sympathetic to these situations. 

Anyway,  entire process took about 9 months because it was contested.  At that time,  I was retired and living in the RP so I moved to  Guam for 9 months. Luckily I was retired and had money. It was basically a long vacation. 

If my wife had agreed (non-contested) it would have been completed in 2-3 weeks! 

Good luck. 

Edited by hitman
  • Like 2

goggleye

I dont know about that state  - In Indiana with no kids or propery involved  i think you can file without a lawyer, fill out the paperwork yourself and it  costs about $250 dollars to file 

• Like 1

sugbu777

Attorney Gumataotao

If this is Gary Gumataotao, he is a good lawyer.

Enuff

costs $75 (p3,531)

In North Carolina, divorce can be obtained whether or not both parties want a divorce. As long as you have been separated a year and one of the parties has been a resident of North Carolina for six months prior to the filing of the action, then you can obtain a divorce. Consent by both parties is not necessary in North Carolina.

http://cordellcordell.com/resources/north-carolina/northcarolina-divorce-questions/

• Like 5

SkyMan
He said that he can not afford to give me a divorce yet-I wonder how much does it cost to file a divorce in the USA?

I think an uncontested divorce can be obtained for around $1000 but it sounds like he doesn't want the divorce.  If that's the case you would have to sue for divorce so you'd almost certainly need a divorce attorney in NC and it will cost more.

Is there a kid involved?  That's big problem if there is.  And are you a US citizen or green card holder?  Have you been to the US?

Edited by SkyMan

Maldita23

I think an uncontested divorce can be obtained for around $1000 but it sounds like he doesn't want the divorce.  If that's the case you would have to sue for divorce so you'd almost certainly need a divorce attorney in NC and it will cost more.

Is there a kid involved?  That's big problem if there is.  And are you a US citizen or green card holder?  Have you been to the US?

No kids involve. No joint assets to divide.

It also sound to me that he doesn't want to give me a divorce. I actually have sent him some money to file it but he just got the money and did not push through it. It is not possible for me to file the divorce,in that case- my only option is annulment. Do I have other options?

Edited by Maldita23