Shipping computer - Questions

Thanks, all.  To be clear, my desktop PSU is dual voltage, I would only use a step down if I wanted to bring some of the powered peripherals/accessories (Klipsch sound system, wireless hub/router, back-up HDD, and the APC UPS - which would then make the dual voltage PSU point moot).

I would dismantle the PC as someone here suggested it and it made sense safety and security wise.  If I'm going to pull the chip, I would pull the whole liquid cooling system and pack separately for extra safety.  Neither the tower or the monitor is going to make it in any luggage, carry-on or checked, they are too big.  So they go by BB or separate dedicated shipping.  I'll get by on my laptop until they arrive.  My original plan was to sell the desktop and live on the laptop.  But I just built the darn thing at no small investment, so am considering.

Corsair Obsidian Airflow 750D case

Antec Kuhler H2O 920 liquid cooler

Corsair Pro HX1050 PSU

4 additional fans:  2 on drives, 1 on mobo, 1 large on video cards, automated speed controls (CPU/GPU temps)

Gigabyte UltraDurable Z87X mobo, LGA 1150

Intel i5-4670K, 3.4 GHz, Haswell

16GB, Corsair Vengeance

Dual AMD HD7870 1000MHz 2 GB video cards, Crossfire config

OS Drive:  Crucial MX200 500GB SSD

HDD Drives:  4 , 1.5 TB total, all WD Velociraptor 10K rpm

External (Backup) Drive:  Seagate 1 TB

3 removable disc drives ASUS/LG/Sony, BluRay/DVD/CD, RW, +/-, DL (I can work with any optical format, even old ones)

Dell 3007WFP 30" IPS LCD monitor

Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 sound

Logitech c930e webcam

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• johnk213

• Paul

• miles-high

• rep1

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Knock yourself out. Seems like a waste of time to me.    Think about it. When a company ships a desktop to you from a manufacturer, is it disassembled, or assembled? I have never received one that w

Yeah, most the peripherals use brick low voltage.  When I shut down tonight, I'll pull to see if they are dual voltage, the one I can see is not, so bringing it puts me back to the step-down.  I may b

Every computer I've had always had a dual voltage power supply. The older ones had a small toggle switch on the PS. The newer ones didn't even require that. In fact every piece of electronics I brough

Posted Images

I would dismantle the PC as someone here suggested it and it made sense safety and security wise.

Knock yourself out. Seems like a waste of time to me. 

Think about it. When a company ships a desktop to you from a manufacturer, is it disassembled, or assembled? I have never received one that was disassembled, in my life. 

• Like 3

Agreed some time, yes, but minimal.  Not sure the from-the-manufacturer shipping comparison applies:  That new computer is insured one way or another,  doesn't pass through PI customs, and doesn't contain any valuable or sensitive personal information.  I think that was the point of the poster, and it does make sense IMHO.

Agreed some time, yes, but minimal.  Not sure the from-the-manufacturer shipping comparison applies:  That new computer is insured one way or another,  doesn't pass through PI customs, and doesn't contain any valuable or sensitive personal information.  I think that was the point of the poster, and it does make sense IMHO.

Regardless as to how you ship it, if you go by way of Balikbayan box, I believe they provide insurance as well? (Someone here may be able to verify that, as it has been almost two decades since I shipped Balikbayan boxes.)

Not sure the from-the-manufacturer shipping comparison applies:

True, that wouldn't. But, me taking one on my flight as an additional piece of luggage, would. 

woodchopper

i shipped many pc desktops here,,3 at a time in 1 LBC box,,i simply put a plywood base,,glued wooden struts in 4 corners and sealed with plywood,,well packed and tight,,with whatever soft packing required.

monitors etc went a different box with adequate packing.

i did this several times to help out different people i thought worthy of it and sensible enough to onsell same,,and make a "quid"

Irenicus

Laptop!? I'd like very much to know which laptop model could keep the heat down! (full turbo boost at all cores of course)

Yeah my ASUS RoG lasted only a year before the video card melted. Desktops with lots of fans are much happier here.
  • Like 1
SkyMan

Knock yourself out. Seems like a waste of time to me. 

Think about it. When a company ships a desktop to you from a manufacturer, is it disassembled, or assembled? I have never received one that was disassembled, in my life. 

I would bring the HDDs for the data mainly.  You can always stick them in another desktop here.  I've never had a problem getting a BBBox here but others have lost them or been broken into.

miles-high

I would bring the HDDs for the data mainly.  You can always stick them in another desktop here.  I've never had a problem getting a BBBox here but others have lost them or been broken into.

Hmmm, he is very concerned about his data... I would transfer the data to an SSD, then make 2 duplicates. Put one in his shirt pocket, another one in his wife’s purse and the 3rd one in his briefcase which is chained to his wrist… *

Other HDD’s can be wiped clean using the DOD algorithm (takes a few days so better start soon) and do a clean install of Win7 or 10… it’s always good to do that every so often (as I do)… :D

* For me, 2 SSD's are secure enough to store my digital travel photos for the last 20 years or so...

1.jpg

:D

Edited by miles-high
cvgtpc1

HDD Drives:  4 , 1.5 TB total, all WD Velociraptor 10K rpm

You could get a 2TB external drive for less than $100 and combine it all and bring in your carry-on.

http://www.amazon.com/Passport-Portable-External-Storage-WDBY8L0020BBK-NESN/dp/B005HMKKH4

If me, I'd also combine it all to one 2TB drive and free up some drive bays in the tower.  Less than $100 also.

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Desktop-3-5-Inch-Internal-ST2000DM001/dp/B005T3GRN2

I suppose that I am paranoid.  I originally planned on selling the desktop, so I copied all pictures, non-sensitive documents and non-sensitive data files onto my laptop, a 1TB portable drive AND made 3 disk copies: 1 for our last BB box, one to carry, and one to stay with my sister here in the US.  I would carry the laptop, drive and one disk set.  Sensitive docs and data files (password keepers, financial, taxes, images of travel docs) I copied onto the laptop, a 32MB flash drive to carry and one set of disks to my sister.  If I ship the desktop, no way I can carry it, I would simply securely wipe/shred the data on the drives then reload, but it seems easier to pull the drives and carry.  Nothing in a BB box or checked luggage would then have anything of any concern.

As to combining drives in the tower itself, I'm running an SSD for the OS and a RAID config for the HDD's for both speed and security, the only way I could make it faster would be 1.5 TB of solid state and that's out of my budget.

Davaoeno

I suppose that I am paranoid.  I originally planned on selling the desktop, so I copied all pictures, non-sensitive documents and non-sensitive data files onto my laptop, a 1TB portable drive AND made 3 disk copies: 1 for our last BB box, one to carry, and one to stay with my sister here in the US.  I would carry the laptop, drive and one disk set.  Sensitive docs and data files (password keepers, financial, taxes, images of travel docs) I copied onto the laptop, a 32MB flash drive to carry and one set of disks to my sister.  If I ship the desktop, no way I can carry it, I would simply securely wipe/shred the data on the drives then reload, but it seems easier to pull the drives and carry.  Nothing in a BB box or checked luggage would then have anything of any concern.

As to combining drives in the tower itself, I'm running an SSD for the OS and a RAID config for the HDD's for both speed and security, the only way I could make it faster would be 1.5 TB of solid state and that's out of my budget.

The last time I heard of such extensive security concerns the guy with the computer was the accountant for the mafia !!   :ROFLMAO:

SHHHHH...You'll screw up my witness protection program sponsored relocation. :dance:

• Like 1

RAID config

Which configuration do you use? 

Technically, it would be RAID 0+1 across the 4 HDD's.  

• Like 1

SHHHHH...You'll screw up my witness protection program sponsored relocation. :dance:

Oh, earlier I forgot to say, please don't encourage him. He's bad enough on his own. :D

• Like 1