Shipping computer - Questions

Based on you folks' advice, I have decided to ship my desktop PC (I have laptop as well, always planned on bringing that) as we are relocating permanently to Cebu area Feb 1, the PSU will work on 220V/60Hz.  Following advice, I will crate inside a BB box, remove drives, RAM, and video card.  It's water cooled so will be tough getting the CPU out, but I'll give it a shot.  Anti-static bag everything and bring in luggage.  Some of the peripherals...that's my question:

Dell 30" monitor:  It's big.  It can fit catty corner in a BB box.  Worth it?

APC/UPS:  High end Schneider digital but 110V.  I hear APC/UPS there are either low quality or a fortune.  Need advice.  Should I 1) keep the Schneider and buy a step-down transformer, 2) Bag the Schneider and try to get a 220V APC/UPS here, 3) Pay the money and get an APC/UPS there, or 4) Forget a UPS and cross my fingers? (not likely)

Cable modem:  It's all DSL there, yes? (110V)

Cisco wireless hub/router:  Will it work and is it worth bringing? (again, 110V)

Advice ALWAYS appreciated.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paul

• johnk213

• miles-high

• Davaoeno

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Knock yourself out. Seems like a waste of time to me.    Think about it. When a company ships a desktop to you from a manufacturer, is it disassembled, or assembled? I have never received one that w

Yeah, most the peripherals use brick low voltage.  When I shut down tonight, I'll pull to see if they are dual voltage, the one I can see is not, so bringing it puts me back to the step-down.  I may b

Every computer I've had always had a dual voltage power supply. The older ones had a small toggle switch on the PS. The newer ones didn't even require that. In fact every piece of electronics I brough

Posted Images

Cable modem:  It's all DSL there, yes? (110V)   Cisco wireless hub/router:  Will it work and is it worth bringing? (again, 110V)

I do not see any reason to bring the cable modem you will not be allowed to use it here

if you get dsl ????  the isp will provide the modem

the hub/router you can bring that one,  I take it that it uses a wall/brick power supply ??

you can buy brick supply here that should fit

2560x1600 IPS panel? 10bits per color channel? Rotatable stand?  :cool_01:

Of course you should bring it here! Finally there is someone with appreciation of professional IT equipments!

Yeah, most the peripherals use brick low voltage.  When I shut down tonight, I'll pull to see if they are dual voltage, the one I can see is not, so bringing it puts me back to the step-down.  I may be able to get my hands on a couple decent step-downs from a military friend of mine but the new ones I see here in US are either very low wattage, look scary ("what's that smell?") or expensive.  I did pick a little one up for my DeWalt cordless drill charger, it draws squat.

As to monitor, yep 3007wfp, 2560x1600, built in USB, SM/SD/MS/MMC card reader and compact flash port.  Stand rotates and telescopes up/down.  I love this monitor with the better IPS over yucky TN panel.  I don't game much, but this and a Klipsch promedia speaker system...I can feel the bullets.  Oh...and see entire very large spreadsheets (in case an old boss is reading this).

• Like 2
RogerDat

I shipped my desk top intact, and had no problems. Why are you dismantling it if I may ask?

Skywalker

I shipped my PC and monitor in my check in luggage.  All carefully wrapped in towels.  The only peripheral I would have removed would have been the HD, except that my HD is solid state.

All arrived undamaged (though a couple of the large chocolate bars got cracked).  My luggage allowance being a very useful 40kgs.

I am now viewing this site on my Dell 60cm monitor.   :bar:

Edit:  I just remembered I carried on my monitor as hand luggage.  Still wrapped it in a towel though.

Edited by Skywalker

Based on you folks' advice, I have decided to ship my desktop PC (I have laptop as well, always planned on bringing that) as we are relocating permanently to Cebu area Feb 1, the PSU will work on 220V/60Hz.  Following advice, I will crate inside a BB box, remove drives, RAM, and video card.  It's water cooled so will be tough getting the CPU out, but I'll give it a shot.  Anti-static bag everything and bring in luggage.  Some of the peripherals...that's my question:

APC/UPS:  High end Schneider digital but 110V.  I hear APC/UPS there are either low quality or a fortune.  Need advice.  Should I 1) keep the Schneider and buy a step-down transformer, 2) Bag the Schneider and try to get a 220V APC/UPS here, 3) Pay the money and get an APC/UPS there, or 4) Forget a UPS and cross my fingers? (not likely)

Cable modem:  It's all DSL there, yes? (110V)

Cisco wireless hub/router:  Will it work and is it worth bringing? (again, 110V)

Advice ALWAYS appreciated.

I did not remove ANYTHING from my computer, prior to bringing it on the plane with me when I returned home. You do not have to take your computer apart. You do, however, need to make sure it is packed quite well on all four sides. That, I did do. It lasted on a plane ride half way around the world and booted right up when I plugged it in here. 

Edited by Paul
APC/UPS:  High end Schneider digital but 110V.  I hear APC/UPS there are either low quality or a fortune.

Bad information. I had APC units that I used for about three years each, prior to having to replace the batteries. (Cycling them more will cause you to need to replace them sooner.) Here is a page showing one of my units (scroll to bottom of page). I had two identical ones, and they were GREAT during the entire time I had them. 

They may be a bit more costly. But, to ship a 110vac unit over, and then having to put it in on a voltage converter is nuts. You want to be able to plug it directly into a wall. Do not plug it into another UPS, a voltage converter, or anything else except maybe a surge protector, prior to powering it up.

Edited by Paul
  • Like 1
Davaoeno

I'm surprised at all the talk about converters- I thought the correct way to go was just to replace the power supply  in the pc with a 240 v one. I was quoted about 1500-1800 pesos to do that [ but sold the computer instead] 

Edited by Davaoeno

I thought the correct way to go was just to replace the power supply  in the pc with a 240 v one.

Not me. I was talking about using a 110vac UPS in the Philippines. 

• Administrator
Salty Dog

Every computer I've had always had a dual voltage power supply. The older ones had a small toggle switch on the PS. The newer ones didn't even require that. In fact every piece of electronics I brought to the Philippines 6 years ago had dual voltage. That was phones, cameras, toothbrush, razor, laptop and netbook.

• Like 2

APC power supplies are readily available here. Not all models, but I am content with what is provided. I just bought a BackUPS model 650 at Octagon computer store for around ₽6000. I don't exactly recall the price but can look for the receipt if that's critical info. For me, I wouldn't have paid more. The APC has a distributor in the Philippines and offers and year warranty.

Once you get your 13a visa, you're entitled to some duty free shipment. If you're determined to have products bought in the USA, you could consider buying them as part of your duty free shipment. As a permanent resident, you may want to consider buying stuff locally, especially computer items which become outdated so quickly.

• Like 1
miles-high

Every computer I've had always had a dual voltage power supply. The older ones had a small toggle switch on the PS. The newer ones didn't even require that.

Yes, most DT power supply can work at any voltage from 100 to 240 or 260v on any grid… particularly if it is a high-end gamer model… :D For 5 years, I was using a dual-Xeon workstation, 2 top of the line i7 extremes and a few RAID NAS in the Philippines WITHOUT any UPS…

Never had any problems, no data loss, no brown out but then I was NOT living in the Province of Cebu… :D

Edited by miles-high

2 top of the line i7 extremes

Laptop!? I'd like very much to know which laptop model could keep the heat down! (full turbo boost at all cores of course)

Edited by aqd
miles-high

Laptop!? I'd like very much to know which laptop model could keep the heat down! (full turbo boost at all cores of course)

No, liquid cooled desktops... but I understand all new ASUS ROG liquid cooled laptop could do that!

http://rog.asus.com/

Edited by miles-high
  • Like 1