Sign in to follow this  
Shrek484

Balamban

Shrek484

I have booked to return to the Philippines for 38 days from Jan 16th to Feb 22nd, looking to stay in Balamban for the most part and wondered if anyone knew of a cheap hotel or holiday let apartment house. Some where I can cook etc would be good. I know they have good cheap ones in Cebu but really want to be in or very near to Balamban itself.

looking to rent a motorbike too or buy a cheap used one!

Cheers

Ash.

questsea73

I know of only Adela....I believe it is called Casa Adela.  It is on a quiet street 1 block from 7-11 store, 2 blocks from main street.  I stayed there twice late 2015. Single rooms 600 to 1000 pesos.  No elevator. Attractive building.  My e-mails were answered.  Usual small rooms.  Do not recommend 600 peso room(too small). Professional website(google it)..I made reservations on their site and paid at desk at arrival.  No restaurant .  Very limited eating places in town.  One small, partially occupied mall there.  A decent seafood restaurant quite a ways out...got stranded there one night until girl friend's neighbor came on motorcycle and extracted us.(no taxis).  Ride there on V-Hire van for truly spectacular view and scary ride, especially if you are in front seat with driver(recommended).  Van terminal is in ground floor of building across from Tune Hotel(north), 120 pesos one way.  Bus route is much, much longer....non-a/c and routine scenery.  There are signs along road to various tourist adventure type places, but I tried none of them.  A quiet town with little to recommend it.  Bus terminal is near sea.  No cooking facilities at this hotel to my knowledge.  V-Hire vans depart from Balamban bus terminal for return to Cebu.  V-Hire trip is right at 1 hour...much less than bus.   Ken

• Like 1

Shrek484

Thanks Ken, I have booked Adela, and got a rental motorcycle ready. So all set, thanks for the great insight, really appreciate it. Will report on the trip when I am back.

Ash.

Davaoeno

Gunther, who lives in Balamban, always recommended Sailors Cabin Lodge  .     I stayed there myself when I went to Balamban to discuss business with Gunther.

None other than the famous Whippy gave the place a fabulous review:   http://www.livingincebuforums.com/topic/25226-sailors-cabin-lodge-balamban/

• Like 3

Shrek484

Apparently my lady went to the Sailors cabin and found it noisy! so she says and right on the rd. Anyway I thought she had decided on the Adela only to find out today she likes the Magdalene.

So I suppose I will find out when I get there ;-)

Maybe Gunther would like a beer when I am there?

Thanks for the feed back.

RogerDuMond

Best place to eat in town is Knight's Cafe. Excellent food, good prices, easily accessible. Guenther's place, Stranded Ships Cook is good, but access is difficult. Balamban Food Mart in the Market area by the municipal offices has decent local cafeteria style food.

• Like 2

RogerDuMond

Knight's Cafe Menu

post-6207-0-89510600-1451990644_thumb.jpg

post-6207-0-08449000-1451990694_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Paul
Apparently my lady went to the Sailors cabin and found it noisy!

I wouldn't write it off solely by her observation. I enjoyed my stays at Sailor's. Not sure if they ever built a pool, though. I had suggested it the last time I was there. And, they had room off to the right to be able to do so.

Guenther's place, Stranded Ships Cook is good, but access is difficult.

Still located in the same place? If so, you are right. It was a pain in the ass to find, and a pain in the ass to go back to. You would have a heck of a time locating it, if you were a first timer and went there at night.

RogerDuMond
Still located in the same place? If so, you are right. It was a pain in the ass to find, and a pain in the ass to go back to. You would have a heck of a time locating it, if you were a first timer and went there at night.

Yes still up in the hills. He has a couple other small places closer to Toledo, but they are mainly for locals and Tsuneishi workers. I think he may be working on one in Balamban back near the shipping doors of the old Gaisanos, but I have no idea what that one is going to be like.

Edited by RogerDuMond

ricardo123#

I stayed at Sailors Cabin for a week or so and found it good. it seemed quiet enough for me. it has a really nice big area out in back if you like to walk around.. and you can cook your own meals also. KTV also right there if you feel like a sing...

• Like 2

Shrek484

Ricardo, sadly if I sang they would have no customers left ;-) thanks for the info.

Shrek484

Magdelene apartments are very good, the woman i came to meet for the second time was not so good. So looking for new, but having a good holiday so far.

• Like 1

Davaoeno

Yes still up in the hills

This confuses me Roger. I went there several times with Guenther and the only hill I saw was a slight rise in the road of maybe 3 meters.  The restaurant is very close to the main road, the only problem is that the entrance road to go there is not marked [ or at least it wasnt 2 years ago ] . But once you find the road entrance the rest is a piece of cake.  

sombrero

agree describing Guenther's place as 'up in the hills', is famciful, to say the least. It's five minutes drive on a motorbike.

not before time he has now made a much bigger sign on the road. But I don't think the restaurant gets that many customers. I must have been there 15-20 times at least and only once have I ever seen any customers there and that was only two kano guys who worked at Tsuneishi.

the bars and eateries around the Tsuneishi works in Buanoy have expanded quite a bit, but the vendors were all moaning when I was just there shortly after New Year. They were not busy. They say that the workers are just not paid enough money. Most of them are only getting about 320  pesos a day and they were saying that they only ever, if ever, have a pissup on payday and all the other times they are lucky if they even buy a 30 bowl of bathcoy noodles.

Sailor's has upped their price from the 600 plus power it was before, to 800 plus power.  This means that if you use the aircon you'll be paying 1000 a day. This is still excellent standard of accommodation in a budget place, they now have complete wifi although the tv's are still garbage. However not quite the total bargain, that it was before. They have also, alarmingly, upped the price of the small SM's in the videoke lounge from 35, to 50 and there were no Grandes - which they used to sell - available when I was there.

the town itself hasn't changed much. Still a very poor caranderia scene in the town itself - the food is much better in Buanoy where the shipyard is. Balamban is basically split into two pieces, the town itself and Buanoy which gives it something of a schizophrenic feel. There's a 7/11 now but that doesn't mean anything. Every other town in Cebu of Balamban's size also has one. The Gaisano is still a desert. Bored-looking Japanese women, married to philandering Tsuneishi executives, can be seen in the afternoons pushing their trolleys around aimlessly.

Davaoeno

Crad- thanks for updating your review of Sailors.   No grandes you say ?? hopefully that wont cause you too much stress !! 

• Like 1