Major Fire Ongoing at the 63 Storey "Address Hotel" Dubai

A huge fire has engulfed a high-rise hotel in central Dubai near the world's tallest skyscraper, the Burj Khalifa.

Burning debris could be seen falling from the 300m-tall (1,000-feet) building. The government says there are minor injuries and most of the fire is under control.

The blaze erupted ahead of a major New Year's Eve fireworks display, due to be held at the Burj Khalifa.

There is no indication so far as to the cause of the blaze.

Up to two million people are expected in central Dubai for the fireworks. Crowds gathering to watch the display have been asked to leave the area around the Address Hotel.

Officials insist that the New Year celebrations will continue as scheduled.

.........................................................................................................................

Not sure how they intend going ahead with the event......but lets hope it isn't inked to an attack...

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-35207451

Maybe it's for show? There is no bigger fireworks than setting your tallest buildings on fire...

Vulle Vuojas

Maybe it's for show? There is no bigger fireworks than setting your tallest buildings on fire...

Good idea. Next we'll fire up Taiwan...

Was living nearby but not sure what building is adressed here....

MIDNITERIDER

Hope Floyd Mayweather got out ok or was not in Dubai today. That's his hangout. The fire scene (ground) is a complete mess out of control not under control, crowds around the base of the building and 500 rooms to check it'll be a total loss and unknown for a day or two if there's no longer any risk of fire or anyone trapped. I pray that there's no casualties. Completely mishandled and disregard for public safety in many respects. 

Headshot

It's hard to believe that they didn't have sprinklers and a fire fighting system in a modern high-rise hotel. No fire should ever get out of control, IF there are adequate safeguards.

Bill H

Maybe you guys who live in condos that, "can't burn," should pay some attention to this hot topic.

• Like 1

It's hard to believe that they didn't have sprinklers and a fire fighting system in a modern high-rise hotel. No fire should ever get out of control, IF there are adequate safeguards.

I would also be surprised if there isn't a sprinkler system, however sprinkler systems need proper and regular maintenance to keep them going which is the kind of thing that seems to be forgotten in the Middle East (pay once and then forget about it mentality). The water mist sprinkler systems (fine mist, high pressure, low water use) are the best, but even these have limitations. It appears that that the burning is on the outside of the building or am I confused??? 

Vulle Vuojas

Maybe you guys who live in condos that, "can't burn," should pay some attention to this hot topic.

Well, there was a fire recently in Lahug.... I doubt any of it was high rise condo buildings. 

I was living on 22nd floor in Manila, the only event was when the building was dancing due to an earthquake with it's epicentre in Subic Bay.

• Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

There's no need to worry. Every year they have a "fire drill" where they turn on the alarm and then light a fire in a garbage can in the front of the building and someone comes with a fire extinguisher to put it out. It is truly a real world disaster preparedness scenario. And I feel safer as a result of them doing this all show and no go drill every year.

Oh and they also put on some real firefighter looking turnout gear, so it really looks like there are trained professionals on scene. But just don't let anyone know they couldn't rescue a cork from a bucket.

Edited by Monsoon
to_dave007

When I watch the video of the early stages of this, the fire seemed to be largely on the OUTSIDE of the building (at least in the beginning), and in one video it looked like the fire went from being a small fire less than 10 feet in size to more than 20 stories in less than 4 minutes, the length of the video.  But for me, I can't for the life of me imagine what flammable materials on the OUTSIDE of a building would support a fire growing so rapidly.  To me, the outside of the building is steel, concrete and glass, and completely inflammable..  So this rapid fire growth outside the building just doesn't make sense.

If the fire was INSIDE the building, starting on one of the lower floors as it seems (like around the 20th), then like others here I'm surprised the sprinklers didn't extinguish it.  It's a pretty modern building and it's hard to imagine that it would not have a state of the art sprinkler system.  But if the initial fire was INSIDE the building then what I find even harder to understand is the complete lack of casualties, mostly from smoke inhalation.  And so far I haven't heard that the evacuees complained of smoke at all.  And a 65+ floor building would surely take more than 5 minutes to evacuate.  So how the hell did they get everyone out without a death.  Given the magnitude of this fire it seems to me that SOMEONE did a f**king fantastic job of either planning or executing an escape plan...  OR.. the fire started and spread mostly OUTSIDE the building initially, and then came through the exterior wall to the interior (somehow) after they had time to complete the evacuation.

Anyone see any reports that might shed light on this?

Edited by to_dave007
  • Administrator
Salty Dog
"And now for some more light hearted news... 

This New Years Eve, the Arabic city of Dubai has earned itself a spot in the Guinness Book of World Records yet again. 

This time, with the world's largest Roman Candle."

• Like 4

what is fueling that fire ???

a gas leak ??