Expats in PH may soon have equal work rights

• Administrator
Dafey

So...who does the foriegner pay income tax to?

SkyMan

If you have a 13A you're good to go.  This bill is regarding non-residents and yeah, I don't see anything different to the way it already is.

If you have a 13A you're good to go.  This bill is regarding non-residents and yeah, I don't see anything different to the way it already is.

It will at least give foreigners the right to work for less. 

Canuck Joe

Wouldn't you be a resident if working in Philippines?

I think taxes would go to the Philippines, my home country requires I still file as a non Canadian resident strictly for the sake of keeping the all seeing eye on you whether I made any money abroad or not. Never bothered but it will catch up if you go back home.

A filipino (or anyone) could have easily got the job I have now if they had the same skills and ability as I do. All of my skills / ability are self taught.

That's what I thought but then 99.9% of them and my classmates in Taiwan never seem to realize that. It's shocking that their Internet is exclusive for facebook and local websites full of news and life-related nonsense, even though they have no problem reading foreign materials.

But it's probably due to that I'm one of very early Internet adopters. The only social groups I had are in Usenet and IRC, both are filled with geeks. The culture right now seems more negative than positive.

Actually the US does do this to a certain extent. In order to petition someone for a work visa the employer must prove that he/she cannot fill the position locally at prevailing local wage.

I was replaced by imported Indians on work visas in my IT position at the Bank of America headquarters before. I think Unisys was bringing them into the country, then contracting them out to BOA.

• Like 1
Vulle Vuojas

I drive trucks back in the USA when I get bored though.

Do you know Liza Kelly? :D   Been watching her on "Ice road truckers"  :D :D

Lisa_Kelly_IRT.jpg

cvgtpc1

It's a fear I have in my IT job. Would love to see how the visa was worded to convince the approver there wasn't an American that could do your job.

• Like 1
shadow

I was replaced by imported Indians on work visas in my IT position at the Bank of America headquarters before. I think Unisys was bringing them into the country, then contracting them out to BOA.

Many large companies, especially manpower type operations, have immigration attorneys on staff.