Expats in PH may soon have equal work rights

That should be interesting but I have my doubts.....

Under a bill approved on third and final reading by the Philippine House of Representatives, foreign nationals will have equal rights of regular employment enjoyed by their Filipino counterparts, media reports said.

The Lower House recently informed the Senate of its approval of House Bill 5887 which was unanimously passed on final reading before Congress adjourned for the Christmas break, reported Manila Bulletin.

Davao City Rep. Karlo Alexei Nograles, chairman of the House Committee on Labor and Employment, reportedly said HB 5887 seeks to amend he Labor Code of the Philippines.

“[The passage of the measure] is in preparation for the regional integration envisioned in the Asean [Association of Southeast Asian Nations] Economic Community Blueprint,” Nograles was quoted as saying.

HB 5887 allows non-resident foreign nationals to secure employment permit but subject to the labor market clearance that no Filipino could qualify for the job, the report said.

Nograles was quoted as saying by Manila Bullein that the bill authorizes the secretary of the Department of Labor and Employment to grant exemptions from the labor market test to foreign nationals as provided for under existing laws and agreements, as well as in industries or occupations or practice of professions where there is short supply, after tripartite consultation. LINK

• Like 2

Before they make that decision, they should look at Cambodia and how screwed up it is with all the backpackers here. 

I say - NO.

Of course, what I say doesn't matter. But, if I were Filipino, I would.

• Like 3

Before they make that decision, they should look at Cambodia and how screwed up it is with all the backpackers here. 

I say - NO.

Of course, what I say doesn't matter. But, if I were Filipino, I would.

Sounds like nothing but trouble to me.

cvgtpc1

Excluding foreigners if a local can do the job is something I've always thought the PI did right and wished the US would copy.

Then again I'll be retiring to the PI and not looking for work there so doesn't bother me.

• Like 2
shadow

Excluding foreigners if a local can do the job is something I've always thought the PI did right and wished the US would copy.

Then again I'll be retiring to the PI and not looking for work there so doesn't bother me.

Actually the US does do this to a certain extent. In order to petition someone for a work visa the employer must prove that he/she cannot fill the position locally at prevailing local wage.

I don't see how they (lawmakers) have made any real changes though..

Edited by shadow
  • Like 1
MarinePride

Good, now I can apply for that highly coveted call center job with my no accent, perfect English and not feel like I'm screwing one of the natives over.

In the U.S. it is an H1B1 visa and has been around for many, many years.   Several million or more are given every year.    Mostly in the IT field.

The PH so called New Law is B.S.   I know that provission has been good for at least 20 years.   Using this loop hole enable call centers, etc to hire foreigners to fill positions when they cannot find qualified philipinos.

• Like 1
Irenicus

Nograles was quoted as saying. HB 5887 allows non-resident foreign nationals to secure employment permit but subject to the labor market clearance that no Filipino could qualify for the job, the report said.

Uh, I'm confused -  Isn't that how the work permit already works now?

rainymike

I think it's about as much as opening the doors to foreigners in the Philippines as it is opening the doors to Filipinos throughout Southeast Asia. Maybe more so.

In any event, as an expat, I can definitely say that when I am given my 'honey-do' list, I have no work rights at all. True in the USA. True in the Philippines.

Good, now I can apply for that highly coveted call center job with my no accent, perfect English and not feel like I'm screwing one of the natives over.

An really, would you work for 300 pesos a day? 

senseless

I wonder if "equal status" means that foreigners won't have all their information, income, employer, etc reported in newspapers...

Most jobs for foreigners pay significantly more. I know of many foreigners employed here in manila who are making over p100K a month. They're usually employed as senior level management. You know, jobs that require some semblance of thought, foresight, and planning :).

That said, I also know of many locals who make over p75K a month. Mostly highly skilled IT folk with skills a little less than my own but are still extremely talented for the worldwide market.

Jobs abound for those with skill and perseverance. I just picked up a contract gig working 20-30 hours a week from home for high 5 figuresUSD/yr + health/dental/vision insurance for a firm based out of San Diego. I also turned down a few other jobs this year. Mostly, companies wanted all my time and I like my time so I can work on my own businesses... But, still need to pay the bills.. Finally found a company willing to bend for my skills..

A filipino (or anyone) could have easily got the job I have now if they had the same skills and ability as I do. All of my skills / ability are self taught.

Edited by senseless
  • Like 1
miles-high

In the U.S. it is an H1B1 visa and has been around for many, many years. Several million or more are given every year.

No, it’s been around 70,000 a year, sometimes more, sometimes less, not millions…

http://www.uscis.gov/working-united-states/temporary-workers/h-1b-specialty-occupations-and-fashion-models/h-1b-fiscal-year-fy-2016-cap-season

I would rather see the US giving visas to those highly educated scientists, engineers, MD’s, nurses, etc. rather than allowing many of the street Kebab venders, welfare recipients, benefit seekers, criminals, etc. into the country.

• Like 1
MarinePride

If I needed to I would, I checked my pride at the airport.  There may come a time when I may need to.  As of now though I am OK to sit around and do nothing.  I drive trucks back in the USA when I get bored though.

shadow

Uh, I'm confused -  Isn't that how the work permit already works now?

Wow, you catch on fast!

• Like 1