American found dead inside house in Pangasinan

RogerDuMond

Obviously, I cannot speak for everyone. But, I can say this. I was happier in the Philippines, than I have ever been in any other country, including the one I am in now.

All you have to do is read this forum to know that many people are unhappy here.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Soarking

• Vulle Vuojas

• shadow

• Lee

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes, you missed it. You see, in the eyes of many Filipinos ALL foreigners are bad. When politician's promises fall well short of the mark, who do they frequently blame? Foreigners, of course. We'r

A Guy really needs a exit plan here .. not just a ticket back to their  home country ,but a game plan once you return Family , Job , place to live etc. to many Guys are all in , no chips for a new ga

Maybe some Americans dislike some from other groups but not many Americans that I have met do. as I wrote, most Americans like everyone and especially since the US is a melting pot, but illegal Mexica

shadow

All you have to do is read this forum to know that many people are unhappy here.

Many people will always be unhappy, no matter where they are.

• Like 2
smokey

They were jailed for 3 months, from Nov 26, 2012 (2 days after the killing) till Feb 21st, 2013. They got bail because the judge didn't feel the evidence supported the charge of Murder.

JAILED ???  Please that word has a punishment attached .... try detained with benefits 

• Like 2

Larry beat me to it. The following would be my reply to that:

Many people will always be unhappy, no matter where they are.

I have just met too many people who bitched and complained how dishonest, greedy, and using that Filipinos are. They would complain about how Filipinos took advantage of them, and how innocent they were having been caught up in some dealing with Filipinos. In the vast majority of those cases, I learned it was the expat who had issues, not the Filipinos. 

So, if they are that unhappy in the Philippines, or elsewhere in SE Asia for that matter, they need to get on a plane and fly elsewhere. Trouble is, in most cases, their problems will leave with them.

• Like 2

I live in Europe and see&hear what's going on near me..... and it's bad.. telling you.

Lol.....that explains a lot

So what does your ear to the ground tell you about race relations in say.....? Samoa?

On topic

While holiday depression does drive up suicides

ANY unnatural foreigners death in the Philippines should be treated as suspicious

• Like 1
contraman

In the US most every city of any size has suicide hotlines, and places to get free counseling if needed. Maybe they prevent a few, or at least prolong a few, who knows. I know that I have prevented a suicide or helped to do so on at least two occasions, and have failed to do so on at least as many more.

An actor's family should have seen warning signs that all was not well. Sometimes the most internally tormented of people cover it well.

And often, nobody cares enough to even try, as shown by this statement "we have to stop medicating everyone and start letting the herd thin out!!"

I guess it's time for me meds, as nobody would like the alternative much!

Yeas I agree that in most of the western world that support is available.

However the situation is Very different in the PI.

In the western world

; there are HotLines that are physically manned by trained personnel.     Not in the PI

: These Services are Government  or LGO funded.                               Not in the PI

; the majority of people have access to a reliable telephone service        Not in the PI

The only way I can see it being done in the PI would be by a Volunteer organisation

Even then, access would be a problem, there are few that have access to a reliable landline telephone and

cell phones would be out of the question as most would not have enough load for a 30 minute call :idontknow:

• Like 2
woodchopper

hmm,,i can just imagine a foreigner calling a "Phils Sueyside" hotline,,that would be interesting.

lotsa blokes come here and or return here full of "conquer the world" mentality.

i even heard a bloke returning here telling me how he carried his "45" under the XRM seat.(ludicrous for several good reasons)

U SIMPLY GOTTA HAVE THE HEAD SCREWED ON  AND MAKE SURE IT STAYS THAT WAY,,DONT GET A FECKED HEAD ETC OVER A WOMAN AND THE VARIOUS OTHER PITFALLS,,,,(thats my 2 bobs worth)

Soarking

In the western world

; there are HotLines that are physically manned by trained personnel.     Not in the PI

: These Services are Government  or LGO funded.                               Not in the PI

; the majority of people have access to a reliable telephone service        Not in the PI

The only way I can see it being done in the PI would be by a Volunteer organisation

Even then, access would be a problem, there are few that have access to a reliable landline telephone and

cell phones would be out of the question as most would not have enough load for a 30 minute call :idontknow:

Trying to get through for help on a suicide hot line using the phone system here in the Philippines could drive any sane man into suicide.

I find little more nerve racking than calling or texting someone here. Reason # 247 I seldom if ever use my cell phone. And the only to calls I have ever received on my home phone were from PLDT asking how their service was.

Tullioz

In the western world

Here is an organization that has opened up suicide hotlines here in the Philippines and it appears there was one recently launched in Cebu in the third link. The serious issue of suicide seems to have been neglected in this country until fairly recently anyway.  

The Natasha Goulbourn Foundation is a non-profit organization dedicated to bringing depression to light through the use of educational lectures, confidential crisis lines and referrals to partner psychologists. We see ourselves as a hub whose primary goal is information awareness on depression and how one can prevent, recognize or treat this mental illness.

In our efforts to launch a nationwide campaign of mental fitness and health, we have partnered with the World Health Organization (WHO), Department of Health (DOH), Department of Education (DepEd) and Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) along with top schools such as University of the Philippines, Ateneo de Manila University and Miriam College. We are currently working on partnering with several cities, civic organization and psychology clinics so that we can further our mission.

http://www.ngf-hope.org/about-ngf/what-we-do/

Hotline launched for suicidal persons

MANILA, Philippines -- With the alarming growth rate of suicide cases in the Philippines, a hotline was launched for persons having suicidal tendencies.

The Natasha Goulbourn Foundation (NGF), which  authored a Training Manual and Handbook for the Information and Crisis Intervention Centers (ICICs),  has sought the assistance of local carrier Globe Telecom to set up a "Hopeline" to curb growing incidents of suicide.

NGF's handbook encourages people who are depressed or suicidal, or those who are related to them to quickly connect to qualified, trained and certified responders who will assist them through established protocols.

According to Rob Nazal, Head of Globe Corporate Social Responsibility, the telco is leveraging on technology intrinsic to its business to do something about the alarming cases of suicides in the country.

"We want to drive public awareness on the availability of a Globe-provided hotline dedicated to assist and support callers in crisis due to depression or suicide issues as well as those who are not necessarily in immediate crisis but may need help to prevent it from occurring or escalating,” Nazal said.

The hopeline for ICIC is 0917-588-HOPE (4673) and a toll-free number 2919 for Globe and TM subscribers will be operational by late March.

At present, the Philippines has the highest incidence of depression in Southeast Asia with over 4.5 million cases reported in 2004.

Yet NGF said most of the depressed individuals  would rather suffer the symptoms than to seek help due to the stigma associated with the illness.

Last January 3, a 28-year old woman jumped onto the tracks of the Metro Rail Transit’s Shaw Boulevard station while a man was found hanging from the roof of his rented shanty three weeks later.

The following month, a 21-year old student was found dead in her bedroom after stabbing herself. And a car executive jumped off the 10th floor of his condominium unit in Makati City.

NGF said although the media are quick to report about such incidents, many cases of suicide in the country still go undetected due to lack of information and the shame that accompanies the act

Hotline now available for those in Cebu

WITH rising cases of depression and suicide among students, a 24/7 hotline called “Hopeline” was launched in Cebu to provide support for those in  crisis.

Twelve hotline responders  will take calls, reply to text messages, answer e-mails and private messages on social media from emotionally or mentally troubled callers. .

The suicide prevention and emotional crisis support service was established by the  Natasha Goulbourn Foundation (NGF) with   the Department of Health  in Central Visayas  (DOH-7) and  the Coalition for Better Education.

“The ball has started rolling,” said NGF president Jean Margaret Goulbourn.

The fashion designer and mental health advocate  said  Hopeline has been  operating in Cebu on a dry run basis for the past six weeks.

“We wanted to give our responders time to adjust to the work and for them to adapt,” Goulbourn said.

A responder may take as many as 20  calls in a shift.  The hotline is open to  calls 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Callers can remain anonymous. The  crisis hotlines are 804-4673, 0917-558-4673, or 2919 (for Globe and TM subscribers).

Hopelines also receives international calls, mostly from overseas Filipino workers (OFWs), who are experiencing sadness or depression because of separation  from their families.

Responders listen to the callers and apply several strategies to  calm them down.  A second batch of responders for Cebu will be  trained in February next year.

A search continues for  volunteers or part-time responders to fill the ranks.

“Suicide (cases) are on the rise. We have 13-year-olds or 10-year-olds taking their own lives,” said Goulburn.

Among millennials or those born in the 1980s, there seem to be more children who lack emotional resiliency against frustrations, disappointment and challenges.

“In Asia, we are getting news of the young committing suicide,” said Dr. Madelaine Valera, a representative of NGF’s board of directors.

Valera said that in addition to having sparse  statistical data on suicide in the Philippines, troubled individuals  find it difficult to get help or support.

Luchi Flores, director of the Coalition for Better Education, said it was important to  help members of this young generation who are mostly digital natives and spend much time online.

“They are more stressed in their work. We don’t want the youth to grow up stressed. The 21st century individuals are the ones who will contribute to nation-building,¨ she said.

In partnering with NGF, the coalition will spearhead activities for  schools in line with empowering  communities and providing information on good mental health practices.

The formal launching on  October 17 will start with a series of talks by  well-known medical practitioners  at the University of San Carlos – South Campus, from  1 p.m. to 8 p.m.

With the theme “Dignity in Mental Health,” the forum will tackle  these topics: No Health without Mental Health (by Dr. Glenda Basubas, President of the Philippine Mental Health Association);

Bullying, Depression and Suicide (by Dr. Nancy Cinco, Child Psychiatrist); and Gut as the Second Brain (by Dr. John Reyes, Endocrinologist & Internist).

After the forum, a Holy Mass,   a ‘Glow-in-the-Dark’ Walk around the campus and the official launching of Hopeline will follow.

Around 1,800 students from several public and private schools in the city are expected to attend the event.

A memorandum of understanding (MOU) was forged by officials of DOH-7, Vicente Sotto Memorial Medical Center and the NGF last May 29.

http://cebudailynews.inquirer.net/70972/cebu-hotlines-open-for-suicide-prevention

Edited by Tullioz
  • Like 1

my reply wasnt meant as a dig on society but more of a "if we fix everything, there will be different problems to arrise"

todays biggest problem with youth is adhd. kids are medicated early on and grow up being dependent.

they have had adhd all along but when i was growing up it meant you got an ass whopping, not a pill.

todays society is becoming chemically dependent, but we will never run out of pills or diseases

im not advocating suicide but im not the type to stop someone either

its your life, if you want to end oh well

Edited by bigmook
  • Like 1
Skywalker
todays society is becoming chemically dependent, but we will never run out of pills or diseases

What he said.

The number of people I know that are on meds, full time, not just a short course, but possibly for the rest of their lives.

Beggars belief.  Didn't happen in my parents generation at anything like the level of dependency that exists in this modern World.

A pill for this, a pill for that....................and that attention deficiency BS is simply down to useless ineffective parents.  Those kids don't need a pill, they need a damned good thrashing.  Never did me any harm!

Edit:  On topic, the guy is dead, lets see what the investigation reveals, if anything.

Edited by Skywalker
  • Like 3