U.S. Can No Longer Raid Marijuana Dispensaries

RogerDuMond
Prohibition didn't work for alcohol, don't know why society thinks it will work for anything else.

A difference is that alcohol was widely used before it was made illegal.

Edited by RogerDuMond
Mandingo

That's good. Let's just make marijuana legal, and then everyone can start smoking it. Then, we will have a country full of people who don't give a shit about anything. They will be too laid back to concern themselves with anything of any importance. 

Dude (pun intended [ :)] ), I've smoked pot since I was a teen and a lot of my friends and coworkers have as well. Most people my age that smoke do it at home and keep it separate from our professional lives and don't walk around stoned 24/7. Never have been into drinking, never my thing and to me nothing worse than a drunk. Kind of inaccurate to paint us all with the same brush, like saying anyone who drinks is a worthless alcoholic who never accomplished anything in life. I also live in a State where it is legal which makes me a law abiding citizen now.

• Like 2

A difference is that alcohol was widely used before it was made illegal.

That's a similarity, not a difference. Marijuana was widely used by some segments of society, then it was made illegal.

Edited by Edwin
  • Like 1
RogerDuMond

That's a similarity, not a difference. Marijuana was widely used by some segments of society, then it was made illegal.

No way has consumption of marijuana ever been close to as wide spread as that of alcohol. In 1915, just before prohibition, the usage rate of alcohol was 1.4 gallons (based on pure alcohol) per capita. That was down from its all time high of 3.9 gallons in 1830 and after several states had prohibited its sale, but before federal prohibition.

No way has consumption of marijuana ever been close to as wide spread as that of alcohol. In 1915, just before prohibition, the usage rate of alcohol was 1.4 gallons (based on pure alcohol) per capita. That was down from its all time high of 3.9 gallons in 1830 and after several states had prohibited its sale, but before federal prohibition.

I don't think that argument really helps the anti-legalization argument out any. 

In the late 1800s marijuana was a popular ingredient in many medicinal products and was legally sold in pharmacies. Many might not have known they were using it (until 1906 when a law was passed stating it had to be listed is it was an ingredient).....but they were still using it. It's almost impossible to know how many people were using the drug prior to it's becoming a banned substance since no real statistics were kept and the drug was being used in medicines that might not have listed it as a primary/active ingredient. 

Marijuana was made illegal only because of fear (likely irrational) from Spanish speaking immigrants. But even with it being illegal for the last 90 years the number of Americans that admit to having used it at least once in their life is right around 100 million (almost 1/3 of the population). It is, and has been, a very popular drug in the US for a long time and has only continued to become more popular despite it being illegal. Criminalizing the drug has done nothing to stop people from using it and increasing enforcement/arrests certainly hasn't done any good at convincing people it should remain illegal.

U.S._cannabis_arrests_by_year.gif

support_for_legalization.jpg

It seems that the more people the government arrests on these silly marijuana charges the more people are starting to realize how silly it is that the government is for even doing it. In 2014 the percentage of people who were for legalization of marijuana was at 54%. More and more people are starting to realize just how big (and expensive) of a failure the war on drugs has been and still is. 

drug-spending-v-addiction.gif

past-month_drug_use_high_school_seniors.

20140227-183254.jpg

Inmates incarcerated for drug offenses in federal prisons are massively disproportionate to all other offenses. 

The war on drugs hasn't been meeting its goals, the financial strain of militarizing/expanding our police forces and criminal justice system and costs of American's liberty are not worth it IMO.

• Like 2
colemanlee

There are some who still say weed is worse than booze, I doubt it, this whole thread got me to thinking and searching some old memories....though I personally can not think of a single person who I knew that smoked weed that the smoking of it caused them injury (this is me personally not anybody else or the rest of the world before I start a statistics war) and at time I traveled with a fairly rowdy bunch...

.I can name eleven people that I knew personally that ineffect drank themselves to death two under the age of 40, and the rest over 40...several of them had been into treatment several times..some private, some VA, some State...education varied from MS to high school...occupation from Priest to Mechanic to Marine Lt. Col. and pretty much everything in between...and most of them were damn good guys....

This does not include, suicide, car wrecks or anything else but just grabbing the bottle and drinking yourself to death....

So when I am asked...I have to say I never saw anyone smoke themselves to death but I have damn sure seen folks drink themselves to death its long past time the government admitted this....

I am sure there are folks on this forum that have seen the same...or close to the same...especially here...and while I love my Jack, I almost never pick up a drink that I dont think of a couple of guys that loved it a little too much....

Edited by colemanlee
  • Like 3