California cop shoots unarmed drunk driver 'by accident'

USMC-Retired

I did not know why the police had thier guns drawn. Now I do. It was a high speed chase and after a bit the car flipped. !!! Guessing here!!! The officer ran the plates and a criminal record to the owner thus he had his gun out when he crashed. Adrenalin was pumping and he fired the gun. The DA is considering negligent manslaughter charges after his death. The deceased man was running in a speeding car, killed the girl in the car, blood alcohol greater then .15 and had a criminal record. Not exactly the poster boy for innocent shooting or police out of control.

http://m.ocregister.com/articles/thomas-696985-feaster-shot.html

Edited by USMC-Retired
  • Like 1
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jester

• AussieLex

• Paul

• Salty Dog

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just another day at the office for "out of control" American law enforcement.  He "forgot" he shot a man in the neck and provided no first aid at all.  Should be charged with attempted murder.  Just m

What a load of shit.   What was his finger doing on the trigger then? I've never heard of any academy   that doesn't teach officers to keep their finger off the trigger and indexed along the frame u

i don't think this has anything to do with feeling sorry for the guy or the girl for that matter.. or not   it has more to do with the cop and in a broader sense law enforcement over all   people

Posted Images

In denmark criminals are brought to court for justice.  not "hanged in the nearest tree" 

You guys put hardened criminals in hotels too, like they do in Norway? 

And you still haven't replied about the girl. 

• Like 1
colemanlee

So I wonder why the cop keeps lying?  That was one of the slickest draw, fire, holster shootings I have ever seen, draw, double tap and holster in less than 4 seconds....damn good shooting. So if the driver was a known bad guy, known to carry weapons, etc...and the cop thought he was in danger,then why does not the cop just say, I thought he would be armed, I was just protecting myself and tell the truth...lying about it points the finger much more than the video shows...

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/thomas-696985-feaster-shot.html

Man shot, paralyzed by Northern California officer after high-speed chase dies

Dec. 21, 2015 

Updated 12:59 p.m.

By SCOTT SMITH / The Associated Pr

FRESNO, Calif. – A man captured on video being shot by a Northern California police officer following a high-speed chase and crash has died, authorities said Monday.

Andrew Thomas died at a hospital Saturday, nearly a month after police at the crash scene initially dismissed his claim that he was shot by an officer.

The shooting, which was captured by a patrol car’s dash-cam video, prompted protests in Paradise, 90 miles north of Sacramento.

Paradise Police Officer Patrick Feaster has said he accidentally shot the driver, who was paralyzed by a wound to the neck.

Prosecutors said there was no basis for charging Feaster, who remains on paid administrative leave pending the outcome of an internal affairs investigation.

The Nov. 25 shooting happened after Thomas, 26, a suspected drunken driver, sped away from a bar with no headlights, nearly hitting people in its parking lot before the crash, investigators said. Thomas’ estranged wife, Darien Ehorn, 23, was thrown from the vehicle and died.

Video from the patrol car shows Feaster shooting Thomas as Thomas climbs out of his overturned SUV. Thomas then slumps back into the vehicle.

That footage and video from body cameras worn by two other officers show Thomas twice telling officers he had been shot. They also show Feaster didn’t tell his commanding officer for 11 minutes that he fired his gun.

“I don’t think I shot him,” Feaster tells his commander. “But the gun did go off.”

Butte County District Attorney Mike Ramsey had said the evidence showed the shooting was unintentional.

Ramsey told the Paradise Post on Saturday after Thomas’ death that he planned to reevaluate the case.

Feaster’s attorney, Brett Sherman, declined to comment to The Associated Press on Monday.

Edited by colemanlee
  • Like 2
colemanlee

I am thankful that we do not have that kind of justice in denmark

And Im thankful the US is not like Denmark nor is the Philippines...so I guess we both are thankful

• Like 1
  • Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

So I wonder why the cop keeps lying?  That was one of the slickest draw, fire, holster shootings I have ever seen, draw, double tap and holster in less than 4 seconds....damn good shooting. So if the driver was a known bad guy, known to carry weapons, etc...and the cop thought he was in danger,then why does not the cop just say, I thought he would be armed, I was just protecting myself and tell the truth...lying about it points the finger much more than the video shows...

Exactly. And I think a jury will have a problem with it as well, if it ever gets there. 

smokey

I am thankful that we do not have that kind of justice in denmark

In denmark criminals are brought to court for justice.  not "hanged in the nearest tree" 

well your in the right country for justice ...    Justice is overrated and if it was that important we would all be living in Denmark instead of here..  hummmm what can be more important to a person then justice ..... A. Low cost housing

B. Friendly people

C. WOMEN

Edited by smokey
  • Administrator
Salty Dog

Unarmed?

Last time I looked, a car can be considered a deadly weapon or dangerous instrument.

AussieLex

a car can be considered a deadly weapon or dangerous instrument.

The video clearly shows the cop car coming up to the wrecked suspects car which was on its side... clearly from the time it was wrecked it cannot be classed as a deadly weapon or dangerous instrument.

Lets face it .. the guy deserved everything he got from moral standpoint...but and its a big BUT, the cop had no need to discharge his weapon the way he did... nothing will convince me that it was not a deliberate shooting ..the way he drew the gun, fired and re holstered in 4 seconds, before approaching the car ... if there was cause to fire int eh first place the cop should have kept his gun in hand and ready until it was established beyond doubt that no further threat existed.... or was he sure he "nailed the perp" so in confidence holstered his gun...sure seems that way with what followed in the way he approached the car and looked inside without any caution... anything less than a manslaughter charge should be unacceptable.. let a jury decide with al the facts in front of them... we are only guessing and don't know the complete story by any means ...

• Like 3
smokey

maybe that cop lived in Davao and was just cleaning up the streets so to speak ,,,

And you still haven't replied about the girl. 

It's only relevant if police are entitled to punish offenders. They aren't. It's not their job.

This is taught in civil science courses in junior high school, so I assume you already know this. I therefore have to assume you are saying you disagree with the law, and would like police to be permitted to shoot anyone they feel deserve it.

Is that correct? If so, I am suprised you believe agents of the state should be given this much power.

• Like 1

*Cop shoots guy in throat

Cop to dispatch "I've got a male in the car refusing to get out."

:crazy: Really? Is he "refusing"....or incapable of getting out? 

Is it a big loss for society that the repeat offending drunk driver (and now murderer) was killed while/for running from the cops and killing his gf/wife in the process. Probably not.....but it seems to me that the police officer went beyond his duties as a law enforcer when he decided to become the judge, jury and executioner. I have no sympathy for the drunk driver/murderer and the death of the passenger is a tragedy but I believe the cop went beyond his duties/training/SOP and should also be punished for his actions. Watching the video it appears the cop didn't even give the guy a chance to follow any commands he might have given (the driver was shot right as he turned his head to the police officer). I'm assuming the cop knew the guy was potentially drunk and he obviously knew he had just been in a fairly serious accident....it should be expected that the guy would have been a bit disorientated/confused and might not hear or understand the first time you asked him to do something. I would be a bit more understanding if the drunk driver had fired shots at police officers before or during the high speed chase or if the vehicle was still capable of moving (being used as a weapon). The only thing the driver could have done after that crash was hop out and try to run....and I don't think a person should be shot in the back by police officers unless the person has a weapon. What really has me convinced that the cop knew what he did was wrong was what he said to dispatch after he shot the guy. He omitted the fact that he discharged his weapon and made it sound as if the guy wasn't responding to commands given. He knew damn well that his shots landed on target (he wouldn't have holstered his firearm if he suspected the guy was still a threat) and that the guy posed no threat to him or anyone else. He should have been calling in to request an ambulance and emergency first responders.  

I believe there are many police officers in the US (note: I'm not saying all and maybe not even most do this...but there are enough that this problem needs to be addressed) that are far to quick to turn to deadly force instead of using other techniques that could deescalate situations without, unnecessarily, taking lives. We need police that know how to better deescalate dangerous situations and we need to make sure that police officers are following the same laws that everyone else is required to follow. They are not above the law and we need to prosecute those that break the law to the fullest extent of the law.

Another problem I see in the US, that is letting guys like drunk driver/murderer get reduced sentences and/or early parole, is that our judicial and prison system is too heavily bogged down from all the drug offenders. I can certainly understand how a police officer could become frustrated and feel that the law has to be taken into their own hands when they are continuously arresting the same person over and over again and the courts just let them go with light sentences or probation. I think that one part of the problem is that we need to stop spending so much of our legal resources on guys caught with a bag of weed, meth, coke, heroin, etc....and the guys selling to them. Let's put criminals like this intoxicated driver/murderer in prison for longer sentences and let the people making the personal choice to do drugs alone (so long as they aren't getting behind the wheel and putting other people in danger).....and while we're at it let's take the drugs out of the gangs hands where we can't monitor/control/tax it and put it in the hands of properly licensed businesses. I'm not 100% sure on this but I would suspect that most of the violent/gun crimes in the US are related to gangs/drugs in ghettos and poorer areas. Another problem is that our prison system gave up on "rehabilitation" long ago and does absolutely nothing but further push criminals further away from what we consider culturally acceptable. On top of that when we throw non-violent drug offenders in with real criminals it forces them to adopt that dangerous and violent gang culture just to survive during their incarceration. Our prison system only teaches criminals how to become better and more violent criminals.

My 2 cents. 

• Like 5

The officer has a reputation and has been given awarded's for taking drunks off the road! 

Now let's surmise that this is an intelligent man with a well organized mind that is performing a thought out act and not an accident.

A guy that sharp would not do it in front of the patrol car camera.       If his intention was to shoot all he had to do was stand beside his car where he would not be on video.      Opp's, dropped my gun and it went off, twice!    Jester

• Like 1
  • Administrator
Salty Dog

The officer has a reputation and has been given awarded's for taking drunks off the road! 

Now let's surmise that this is an intelligent man with a well organized mind that is performing a thought out act and not an accident.

A guy that sharp would not do it in front of the patrol car camera.       If his intention was to shoot all he had to do was stand beside his car where he would not be on video.      Opp's, dropped my gun and it went off, twice!    Jester

Surely you Jest....  :P  

• Like 1
shonkyimp

People seem to be focusing on hanging the officer, and not what they SHOULD be focusing on.

What about the girlfriend, whom this piece of shite murdered? Well, as far as I am concerned, he might as well have. He wrecked and she was ejected from the car. What about her life?

Like I said, the guy got EXACTLY what he deserved.

The Pc brigade are in town thats why.

1/ the guy ran

2/had a history of running

3/killed his wife

4/he was drunk

The policeman got it right, no loss to the world him being shot

• Like 2

Two wrongs don't make a right ... the guy got what he rightly deserved but i wouldn't want that trigger happy cop working in my neighbourhood ...

What is a law enforcement weapon for ? ... it is a last resort solution to protect life... 

I know what I saw in the video as well ...

(My one and only daughter died at the hands of a drunk driver so i kinda hate drunks in general and drunk drivers in particular ... but whats right is right)

I'm sorry to hear that. The only thing I can say in reply is, you are a HELL of a lot better man than I am. 

But, I stand by my view. I feel zero pity for the drunk. One less problem the police have to deal with. One less danger to other drivers on the roads. One less useless, drunk, murdering piece of shite, who cared about nothing but himself, out of this world.