California cop shoots unarmed drunk driver 'by accident'

Tullioz

While the driver of this car probably deserved to be shot for driving drunk and killing his wife in the process, in the news story it states that the police officer did not mention firing his weapon until after the wound was discovered on the drivers neck. I guess he was hoping he missed and no one would find out? Either way, he should have been charged with something. He is certainly not honest or he would have mentioned firing his weapon from the start. While it is officially being ruled an accident; based on the officer not being truthful from the start, that needs to be questioned further. 

A California cop who shot an unarmed DUI suspect after a fatal high-speed crash last month will not face criminal charges, officials announced.

Paradise Police Officer Patrick Feaster’s actions were "unintentional and possibly negligent, but not criminally so,” according to a statement released Thursday by Butte County District Attorney Mike Ramsey.

His (Feaster’s) reaction on the dash cam video and his statements to protocol investigators confirm an honest belief that he did not intentionally fire his pistol,” the statement said.

But the man Feaster shot, 26-year-old Andrew Nicholas Thomas, will face a vehicular manslaughter charge in the death of his wife, Darien Ehorn, 23, who died in the accident.

Feaster was on patrol just before midnight on the night of Nov. 25 when he attempted to stop Thomas’ Toyota 4Runner for speeding out of the parking lot of a bar and running a red light.

Thomas refused to stop and Feaster began chasing the SUV. Dash cam footage showed Thomas’ vehicle careen out of control and flip over, ejecting Ehorn, who died at the scene.

As Thomas attempted to climb out of the vehicle, which came to a stop on its side, Feaster approached with his gun drawn and fired one shot, striking Thomas in the neck.

Officer Patrick Feaster shot 26-year-old Andrew Nicholas Thomas in the neck following a high speed chase in which Thomas's wife died. 

Officer Patrick Feaster shot 26-year-old Andrew Nicholas Thomas in the neck following a high speed chase in which Thomas's wife died. 

When Feaster’s backup arrived, the officer did not mention anything about having fired his weapon.

According to Ramsey, Feaster notified his commanding officer about the discharge only after Thomas’ gunshot wound was found, approximately 11 minutes later.

Thomas was struck in the C7 and T1 vertebrae and may be paralyzed.

According to Action News Now, he had a blood alcohol content of .15, almost twice the legal limit in California.

Feaster, who was placed on leave after the shooting, faces an internal investigation by the Paradise Police Department.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/mistakenly-shot-suspect-not-charged-article-1.2464035?cid=bitly

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jester

• AussieLex

• Paul

• Salty Dog

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just another day at the office for "out of control" American law enforcement.  He "forgot" he shot a man in the neck and provided no first aid at all.  Should be charged with attempted murder.  Just m

What a load of shit.   What was his finger doing on the trigger then? I've never heard of any academy   that doesn't teach officers to keep their finger off the trigger and indexed along the frame u

i don't think this has anything to do with feeling sorry for the guy or the girl for that matter.. or not   it has more to do with the cop and in a broader sense law enforcement over all   people

Posted Images

oztony

Looks like 2 shots fired in the footage . 

• Like 3
colemanlee

zero probable cause...at least the way they trained us...

• Like 1
Canuck Joe

Man that was so quick...guy Pops up and cop draws, fires twice and re holsters in what looked like one motion!

Just another day at the office for "out of control" American law enforcement.  He "forgot" he shot a man in the neck and provided no first aid at all.  Should be charged with attempted murder.  Just my  :twocents:

• Like 9
  • Triple Diamond Sponsor
Monsoon

unintentional

What a load of shit.

What was his finger doing on the trigger then? I've never heard of any academy   that doesn't teach officers to keep their finger off the trigger and indexed along the frame until ready to discharge. I doubt there is a department policy manual that says otherwise as well. 

This guy is an idiot, a danger to the public and should be held liable for his negligence. 

• Like 9
smokey

Gee if i lived in the place you lived i would find lots to post about stuff close to home....today i read in cebu a security guard was killed because he told two employees they were being let go.. and a jeep barker killed another jeep barker over 10 peso he was owed  

colemanlee

Most people, at least reasonably intelligent people realize that the great majority of Cops do a great job....that said...the thread is about a California Cop shooting a drunk driver...not the rest of them.   The article said it was a high speed chase...didn't see that in the video...just the wreck...

Did see the cop double tap a what appeared white male as he pulled himself up through the window of the car..at the time the shots were fired the suspect was supporting himself on the door and could not have possibly presented a threat to the officer...at the moment of the shooting the suspects right hand comes up, he looses his grip on the door and falls back into the car....

In the audio you will hear the cop saying the suspect refuses to get out of the car...a lie...the suspect had been shot....

Ill stand up for Cops quicker than most...but in this case...from what is shown on the dash cam...the cop had zero reason to fire...if the news report is correct which is always suspect...the cop didn't follow even basic procedure...which when I was trained would have been call for a superior officer and say shots fired, suspect down.  Ill give him the benefit of the doubt on the radio call...adrenalin and all that...but he is guilty as hell of firing for zero reason.

• Like 4

Ill stand up for Cops quicker than most...but in this case...from what is shown on the dash cam...the cop had zero reason to fire...if the news report is correct which is always suspect...the cop didn't follow even basic procedure...which when I was trained would have been call for a superior officer and say shots fired, suspect down.  Ill give him the benefit of the doubt on the radio call...adrenalin and all that...but he is guilty as hell of firing for zero reason.

I agree that it appears the officer was totally wrong and even more so for failing to report he fired his weapon. Do we know what the officer received back from the dispatcher during the chase, NO, it could have been that the owner of the vehicle was a known dangerous often armed felon or even that the owner had a CW permit thus the officer thought he was armed and knew he had already committed a felony with his vehicle, or the officer may have known the man to be a dangerous usually armed person, we will never know but all too often members of this forum crucify all police officers without all the facts being known, I just wanted to point out that he is just one officer in a million and the others did not shoot anyone, so crucifying all police because of a few bad apples is like crucifying all expats because of the few who do bad things.

You guy's are freakin terrible!   Over the years how many times have you forgot a little something at work or forgot to report it!!  Little lapse of memory and you want to hang the poor guy.

I suspect you are a bunch of DAMM members (Drunks against Madd Mothers)  that are thinking, that could have been me!          Jester

Edited by Jester
AussieLex

Little lapse of memory

Firing a weapon is anything but a little lapse of memory. The officer was a trained individual so even in a stressful situation he should know he fired at a suspect. I am not trained in any way bit it seems to me as soon as shots are fired in any police incident  that it is protocol for the officer to notify his dispatcher immediately ... with a simple radio call, "shots fired, shots fired" followed by request for back up or a supervisor.  I can understand not asking for a supervisor but the explanation in this case just doesn't add up ... I do have firearms training and as mentioned he should not have had his finger on the trigger, I also feel that he would remember an accidental discharge of his weapon as it would have been a bit of a surprise to him if it indeed went off without him intending to fire.

I am not judging his actions in shooting the suspect as there could have been any number of legal reasons for doing do... it is his neglect to remember or report the fact he fired his weapon that I question ... 

• Like 1

Firing a weapon is anything but a little lapse of memory. The officer was a trained individual so even in a stressful situation he should know he fired at a suspect. I am not trained in any way bit it seems to me as soon as shots are fired in any police incident  that it is protocol for the officer to notify his dispatcher immediately ... with a simple radio call, "shots fired, shots fired" followed by request for back up or a supervisor.  I can understand not asking for a supervisor but the explanation in this case just doesn't add up ... I do have firearms training and as mentioned he should not have had his finger on the trigger, I also feel that he would remember an accidental discharge of his weapon as it would have been a bit of a surprise to him if it indeed went off without him intending to fire.

I am not judging his actions in shooting the suspect as there could have been any number of legal reasons for doing do... it is his neglect to remember or report the fact he fired his weapon that I question ... 

So you have never done anything and forgot?  Very superior being you are,  extreme life and death situation to the point of causing physiological trauma and you expect normal behavior. Some of our war heroes report not remembering the actions they took that they were awarded medals for.   Now lets look at the real cause, if the idiot had stayed home and got drunk, no problems..  No he had to go out and endanger innocent peoples lives, slaughtered his wife and you want to pick on the cop.   What if the drunk had wiped out your family, what would you be posting now?     Jester

AussieLex
So you have never done anything and forgot?  Very superior being you are

If having an opinion is superior then yeah i guess I am ... As far as I am concerned, those that are hired and trained to serve and protect are held to a higher standard than most people ...  Yes he was hyped up and the adrenaline was pumping...I understand that... but think about it for a moment ... if you draw your gun and fire it accidentally... because the firing was accidental you would think that this would kind of jolt you just a little especially if professionally trained to handle situations like this... So I don't accept that he "forgot" ... 

The video clearly showed him drawing his gun, shooting the suspect, the suspect falling from sight and him holstering his gun ... shouldn't he have kept his gun pointed in the direction of the suspect until he was sure there was no further danger ???

I have been in many stressful and life threatening situations over the years and I can understand where you are coming from but i don't accept for one minute the story the way it is portrayed ... we hold our law enforcement to a higher standard and it should be thoroughly investigated... 

It is also true that some cops are just too gung ho and too trigger happy ... Mind you i said SOME ... I respect the law and the difficult job law enforcement officers have but there need to be standards and oversight.. 

Edited by AussieLex
  • Like 1

I miss the days when I only allowed Philippines related news articles. 

• Like 3