And when is SOMEONE going to do SOMETHING about the traffic?

I'm surprised that in 3 pages of posts no one mentioned the elephant in the room.  Let's use building a road as an example.  After the planning and such, the contract to build the road is published.  Want to bid?  Pay the Mayor his due first, then the Vice-Mayor, then the Treasurer, then you get on the bid list.  Once you are successful, pay more to more folks and finally you get a contract.  Of course by now, you're very low on funds, so you have to skimp, first thing to go is the rebar in the road, everyone turns a blind eye, but without it, the road will last less than half as long.  No problem, then the Mayor and his buddies get to do it all again.  And so it goes.  Until you attack the corruption that is rampant here, no real problems will be solved.  Without the political will to do that, it's just sameo, sameo year in and year out.

The secondary problem is acquiring the land to widen the roads.  Another major problem, since there are so many squatters and other interested parties that few want to rile up.  The Philippines should by all rights be the gem of Asia, but instead, it's the arm pit.  There is a reason the country has the worst Internet in all of Asia, but no one is willing or able to make the structural changes that would be needed to change things.  This mostly because the handful of rich and powerful families who actually control things here are quite happy with the way things are and each year they get richer, so why change?

• Like 5
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• colemanlee

• smokey

• Soarking

• SkyMan

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

here is a novel idea enforce the traffic laws ... no parking mean no parking.... use jeep stops.... no 3 wheeled peddle trikes use the main highways .. If a store has no offstreet parking it gets no p

I'm surprised that in 3 pages of posts no one mentioned the elephant in the room.  Let's use building a road as an example.  After the planning and such, the contract to build the road is published. 

As much as the 5% of the population who have excess funds to spend  would enjoy your recommendations you are condemning the average person to even more poverty since they will be unable to get to work

Posted Images

cebulover2000

It goes like that - hope. Give the people hope, they believe everything. New hope Duterte, he will win because it will buy the Rich more years, he is welcome by the Rich and they will support him behind the scences. Don't believe one second that he will really change things.

contraman

Don't believe one second that he will really change things.

Maybe not, But it will make him Uber Rich :sarcasm:

softail

Philippines should pattern it's traffic issues like Hong Kong, Australia, Canada and train rail ways like the US.  All these goofy trikes and jeepeny's, buses ... there's no room for buses other than double decked ones in the larger cities and cars and scooters, I don't call them motorcycles they are nothing but egg beaten scooters, all this garbage needs to go.

Move out all the squatters from the city because think they belong there but they don't and start buying up spots and moving people out of the way for short cuts, all those huge private neighborhoods, open them up put a highways through them.

And where do you propose they go?  You sound like one of those "burn them out guys"

Edited by softail
colemanlee

And where do you propose they go?  You sound like one of those "burn them out guys"

Here, after Yolanda, they built villages for them...the government owns a tremendous amount of land...land that just sits there...so why would moving them out of areas that need to be developed be a bad idea?  All the government had to do here is say the magic words "Free" or the other magic word, Subsidy..in fact the only ones that would not move were the fisherman as the free land was too far from the sea... 

The first two are of the temporary housing...

post-16622-0-47596800-1450557892_thumb.jpg

post-16622-0-15040200-1450557923_thumb.jpg

The third and last on is of the finished permanent housing

post-16622-0-71877200-1450557960_thumb.jpg

Though they have only completed about ten percent of the target housing some two years after the storm, mainly because of political interference of Roxas and his cronies at least they have started...

• Like 3
Rocketman

They don't even have traffic policemen.

I see them at a busy intersection of JY Square.  Traffic blocks the intersection when the light is red and screws up the whole area.  The traffic police (CITOM) is there..... reading the newspaper.

• Like 1

And when is SOMEONE going to do SOMETHING about the traffic?

for awhile sir

Ah,  the ubiquitous phrase, makes me laugh everytime  I hear a salesclerk utter it to me,  soon to be followed up with the eqully famous : sorry sir,  out of stock. 

Unfortunately  no easy solution for the nightmare  traffic :(

Edited by hitman
  • Like 1

Back to their provincial area's all they do is resell garbage and block roads, steal and harrass.  I live out in the province and even I wouldn't live in Manila it's too expensive, these squatters (I'm a squatter by the way) don't belong in the city unless they have some sort of dogs-buddy-boss job.

To set up shacks for them will only encourage more family members to join in poverty and bring in more people that don't belong in the city area's.  Government has to fix this migration issue, so far it looks like burning them out is the only option but then again don't these guys have power lines hanging all over the place, my in-laws constantly mess with the electricity to get it free, I'm sure they cause their own safety issues, but you could be right, I also feel they are getting burned out of the area.

I see them at a busy intersection of JY Square.  Traffic blocks the intersection when the light is red and screws up the whole area.  The traffic police (CITOM) is there..... reading the newspaper.

CITOM has been renamed to CCTO  Cebu City Traffic Office  and it is NOT a police force

Talisay City it is: City of Talisay-Traffic Operations and Development (CT-TODA)

Mandaue it is: Traffic Enforcement Agency of Mandaue (TEAM)

Edited by Woolf
smokey

CITOM has been renamed to CCTO  Cebu City Traffic Office  and it is NOT a police force

Talisay City it is: City of Talisay-Traffic Operations and Development (CT-TODA)

Mandaue it is: Traffic Enforcement Agency of Mandaue (TEAM)

the only place in the Philippines I have found traffic laws enforced is Baguio and the enforcers I saw were PNP maybe traffic should be run by police so either make the traffic personal police personal or live with the problems

Rocketman

I've been told CITOM is the one who enforces driving laws and that the police can not.

I've been told CITOM is the one who enforces driving laws and that the police can not.

It is  no longer called CITOM  it is now CCTO,   it is NOT a police force

Police is PNP  Philippine National Police

changing name and changing uniforms did not bring any changes to the traffic problems the city has

• Like 1
NOSOCALPINOY
Just wishful thinking, but if I had the power and authority to make changes in solving the traffic

congestion in the Philippines here are some of the proposals I would implement and enforce:

* Get rid of all the toll booths in the Philippines except for those for bridges and increase the toll fees

for it's annual maintenance.

* Increase the annual vehicle registration fees depending on population, number of vehicles in every

district. Year, weight and model  of every type of vehicle to cover the cost of freeway, street and or

road maintenance in every district or every region in the Philippines. 

* Enforce a striker smog inspection program before a vehicle can be registered. Older and or classic

vehicle fanciers who keep their classic vehicles in good working condition can be registered under a

different set of rules within the guidelines from LTO to determine which older or classic/vintage

vehicles can be registered annually.

* Put a restriction on new vehicle sales of only once every 3 years. 

* Get rid of all of the poor maintained vehicles off the freeway, streets and or roads if their vehicles

can not pass a strict annual vehicle safety inspection during their annual vehicle registration. 

It's going to come down to who can afford to keep a vehicle on the freeways, streets and or roads

whether for business or for personal use? I'm certain this will affect the amount of vehicles that will

be on freeways, streets and or roads!

Just my wishful way of thinking and or but a pipe dream for the future and will never see it happen

in my lifetime unless vehicles can fly and park themselves. :idontknow:     

Davaoeno

Just wishful thinking, but if I had the power and authority to make changes in solving the traffic
congestion in the Philippines here are some of the proposals I would implement and enforce:

* Get rid of all the toll booths in the Philippines except for those for bridges and increase the toll fees
  for it's annual maintenance.
* Increase the annual vehicle registration fees depending on population, number of vehicles in every
  district. Year, weight and model  of every type of vehicle to cover the cost of freeway, street and or
  road maintenance in every district or every region in the Philippines. 
* Enforce a striker smog inspection program before a vehicle can be registered. Older and or classic
  vehicle fanciers who keep their classic vehicles in good working condition can be registered under a
  different set of rules within the guidelines from LTO to determine which older or classic/vintage
  vehicles can be registered annually.
* Put a restriction on new vehicle sales of only once every 3 years. 
* Get rid of all of the poor maintained vehicles off the freeway, streets and or roads if their vehicles
  can not pass a strict annual vehicle safety inspection during their annual vehicle registration. 

It's going to come down to who can afford to keep a vehicle on the freeways, streets and or roads
whether for business or for personal use? I'm certain this will affect the amount of vehicles that will
be on freeways, streets and or roads!
Just my wishful way of thinking and or but a pipe dream for the future and will never see it happen
in my lifetime unless vehicles can fly and park themselves. :idontknow:     

As much as the 5% of the population who have excess funds to spend  would enjoy your recommendations you are condemning the average person to even more poverty since they will be unable to get to work or to earn a living using a vehicle.   This is truly a myopic  first world strategy that shows no compassion for the have nots .  

• Like 4