And when is SOMEONE going to do SOMETHING about the traffic?

Rocketman

The Auto Industry in the Philippines is projecting a 10% rise in car sales next year to 350,000 vehicles.  And I'll bet the gov't officials will boast about this too, ignoring the huge elephant in the room!  (Article from the Sun Star but couldn't find it on-line)  

Edited by Rocketman
  • Like 2
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• colemanlee

• smokey

• Soarking

• SkyMan

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

here is a novel idea enforce the traffic laws ... no parking mean no parking.... use jeep stops.... no 3 wheeled peddle trikes use the main highways .. If a store has no offstreet parking it gets no p

I'm surprised that in 3 pages of posts no one mentioned the elephant in the room.  Let's use building a road as an example.  After the planning and such, the contract to build the road is published. 

As much as the 5% of the population who have excess funds to spend  would enjoy your recommendations you are condemning the average person to even more poverty since they will be unable to get to work

Posted Images

MarinePride

I've been here for six years now and the traffic going over the bridges and back is just amazingly bad!  I always wonder if the politicians ever have to endure it on a daily basis?  If so, I can't believe there isn't a solution in the works.  A lot of land needs to be bought up and the roads widened and it looks like an expensive propositon because so many people built their structure two feet from the traffic flow.

Or they could make it REALLY expensive to own a vehicle with some sort of fee.  I would hate that of course, as I believe it would just go into someone's pocket. 

Soarking

"And when is SOMEONE going to SOMETHING about the traffic?"

That's easy: NEVER

If you close your eyes to a problem, it doesn't exist.

• Like 3
colemanlee

And now you know why I own a 2011 model that I brought new, has only 25k on it an a friend put most of that on the car...stays parked most of the time ..but I also have three bikes..that rack up bunches of km...even here its a royal pain in the ass...

• Like 4

Are there any surveys on proposals for Cebu...?   I mean real ones by real engineers ? 

perhaps  we call the Japs.... they built the tunnel under Port San Pedro road... ( thank goodness) 

Considering a big percentage of the 350,000 car sales next year will be Japanese , they may be interested.....or the Koreans to build a sky train...  this could be a great city .

Sooner ( we hope ) or later, they have to start looking at Bangkok and how they solved some of the problems with their traffic, I would think with this city built on Limestone or such, tunneling under, North to south and east to west would be the way to go.....Tollway of course ... 

Soarking

The Auto Industry in the Philippines is projecting a 10% rise in car sales next year to 350,000 vehicles.  And I'll bet the gov't officials will boast about this too, ignoring the huge elephant in the room!  (Article from the Sun Star but couldn't find it on-line)

And how many more motorcycles? With drivers that have no idea what rules of the road are, no drivers licenses or insurance.

When driving they scare me the most the way they speed up and pull right in front of you or try and quickly pass you on the right as your making a right hand turn.

• Like 3
smokey

I've been here for six years now and the traffic going over the bridges and back is just amazingly bad!  I always wonder if the politicians ever have to endure it on a daily basis?  If so, I can't believe there isn't a solution in the works.  A lot of land needs to be bought up and the roads widened and it looks like an expensive propositon because so many people built their structure two feet from the traffic flow.

Or they could make it REALLY expensive to own a vehicle with some sort of fee.  I would hate that of course, as I believe it would just go into someone's pocket. 

here is a novel idea enforce the traffic laws ... no parking mean no parking.... use jeep stops.... no 3 wheeled peddle trikes use the main highways .. If a store has no offstreet parking it gets no permit no vendors selling in the streets .. no business taking over the road in front of their store  this should improve the traffic for another 10 years 

That's easy: NEVER

If you close your eyes to a problem, it doesn't exist.

there is a song about that called in the YEAR 2525

• Like 8
colemanlee

here is a novel idea enforce the traffic laws ... no parking mean no parking.... use jeep stops.... no 3 wheeled peddle trikes use the main highways .. If a store has no offstreet parking it gets no permit no vendors selling in the streets .. no business taking over the road in front of their store  this should improve the traffic for another 10 years 

Im sure you said that in jest....

• Like 2
smokey

Im sure you said that in jest....

yes or course because if it was the truth i would be told its a cultural thing

colemanlee

yes or course because if it was the truth i would be told its a cultural thing

See, now you have let PC enter your life....when we all know its a lazy Filipino thing

SkyMan

Part of the problem is so many new cars are being added while the old ones are rarely junked, just handed down to the next level of income.  A ramped up registration fee for cars older than say 20 years to the point where scrapping them would look like a better deal would do a lot for the traffic and the air quality.

Edited by SkyMan
  • Like 1

The answer is NEVER, because there will never be a politician with enough power and balls big enough to piss off all the rich landowners, and entrenched interests to do what has to be done. All the power and money is in Manila and they don't give a shit about Cebu. Only a dictator like Duterte might have a chance.

• Like 1
smokey

Part of the problem is so many new cars are being added while the old ones are rarely junked, just handed down to the next level of income.  A ramped up registration fee for cars older than say 20 years to the point where scrapping them would look like a better deal would do a lot for the traffic and the air quality.

ha ha great thought but they cant even get the 50 year old jeeps and trucks scrapped 

• Like 1

Philippines should pattern it's traffic issues like Hong Kong, Australia, Canada and train rail ways like the US.  All these goofy trikes and jeepeny's, buses ... there's no room for buses other than double decked ones in the larger cities and cars and scooters, I don't call them motorcycles they are nothing but egg beaten scooters, all this garbage needs to go.

Move out all the squatters from the city because think they belong there but they don't and start buying up spots and moving people out of the way for short cuts, all those huge private neighborhoods, open them up put a highways through them.

Edited by mcalleyboy

When it snows in Manila.

Edited by Kreole
  • Like 2