The air that I breathe....

Skywalker

There are some people who share the same conviction with regard to the air in Cebu City.

• Like 3
Soarking

There are some people who share the same conviction with regard to the air in Cebu City.

Maybe not as polluted as some cities in China.

Maybe not as polluted as Manila during rush hour

But polluted nonetheless. Getting rid of the old jeepneys is only a small start.

Not mentioning we live in a city of almost a million people without a sewer system. You can't have that many septic tanks this congested without there being contamination of the surrounding ground. And the storm drain system and streets are one big urinal. Walking my son to school the smell of urine is overwhelming in some areas.

Don't get me wrong, I like Cebu, and there are a lot of good things about being here along with some great people. But pretending it is not polluted is like putting your head in the sand.

Edited by Soarking
  • Like 4

Not mentioning we live in a city of almost a million people without a sewer system. You can't have that many septic tanks this congested without there being contamination of the surrounding ground. And the storm drain system and streets are one big urinal. Walking my son to school the smell of urine is overwhelming in some areas.

Where does the pipe under toilet lead to if there is no sewer system??

• Like 1
smokey

now that is funny .....

• Like 3
Soarking

I love the smell of coal smoke in the morning!

Along with burning plastic bags & garbage, urine and diesel exhaust.

Soarking

I believe the question was serious.

In short it ends up going into a buried tank somewhere outside your house or apartment where little bugs eat away at all the goodies you flushed down. Then the semi treated liquids get released back into the ground. The remaining sludge needs to be pumped out from time to time. The system works fairly well in rural areas but not in highly populated areas. And the so called "gray water" from cloths washing, showers, dishwater etc. goes into the open storm water system you see everywhere and dumps into the rivers and ocean. Again not good for highly populated areas.

• Like 1
rainymike

They'd do it in the Philippines as well, except that people are too poor to afford it. Instead you just have to put your hand over your face, wear a bandana/tshirt like an outlaw, or wear a surgical mask.

It seems odd to me that this country wants to play a big role in leading the world to address climate change. Yet, when it comes to management of the environment, it gets very low marks from me. A lot more could be done with alternate energy, mass transit, management of traffic/industry caused air pollution ... not to mention management of water quality and runoff, forest management, waste management, etc. And I do mean a whole lot more could be done.

Seems like the country is more concerned with looking good in the press than providing its people with a clean environment. Oh, I love it here and have found a place to settle down where the problem is not so intense ... but I'd love my kids to grow up in a country that is really in the lead for providing its people with a clean environment.

Not trying to start a climate change debate here. Just saying that if you want to go around calling for better management of the earth, you start at home.

• Like 3

In short it ends up going into a buried tank somewhere outside your house or apartment where little bugs eat away at all the goodies you flushed down. Then the semi treated liquids get released back into the ground. The remaining sludge needs to be pumped out from time to time. The system works fairly well in rural areas but not in highly populated areas. And the so called "gray water" from cloths washing, showers, dishwater etc. goes into the open storm water system you see everywhere and dumps into the rivers and ocean. Again not good for highly populated areas.

What about condos surrounding Ayala mall or Osmena circle??

Humboldt

The Philippines is first in line with its hand out for clean green dollars

the problem is point A to point B

shadow

Not to mention some have no septic at all, the waste is dumped directly into the canals and drainage ditches.

• Like 1
  • Admin (Retired)
broden

Don't trust air unless you can see it!

that's why i always carry a knife and fork

• Like 2

Sometimes in the evening when people are burning trash and leaves in Dumaguete the air looks like it does in those pics. We lived there a couple years ago and moved because my son and I both were having breathing problems. Neither of us had problems prior to, or after leaving Dumaguete.

In the 70's Los Angeles, CA. had such bad air the doctors said that jogging there was equivalent to smoking two packs of cigarettes a day.

• Like 1